VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 06:24:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 23364 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 19, 2007, 12:18:17 am »

Well, get out your cd burner once again we have another iso for you to hammer on............... Smiley
We just released rc-1.7: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/VL5.9-STD-RC1.7.iso
Please all of you with hardware issues test this as we made some major kernel revisions to hopefully fix the numerous
i810 video problems and maybe savage too. We worked hard to get grannys sound and boot up problems fixed for the laptop and have a new wireless tool to try.. VasmCC has been updated almost fully functional now! We added kdelibs,  k3b and kdesu  as our substitute programs just were not making the grade. There are a few problems that remain and they are upstream and there seems to be no patches. The Terminal crashing bug is vte and new Xorg related depending on your video chipset so we implemented a nice version of xterm as a work around and will prolly go aterm in final. The sporadic behavior of the quit button in xfce4 is a bug reported upstream that hasn't resolved itself yet. We have tried to cover everything else so please give this a good workout we want to be final soon!
Thanks.
Vec
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:00:25 am »

We added kdelibs,  k3b and kdesu  as our substitute programs just were not making the grade.

GREAT!!!!!!!!

...oops, sorry for the shouting, got carried away for a minute there... Wink

Seriously now, it's not just because of k3b and kdesu, but kdelibs itself opens up a whole raft of possibilities for using KDE apps sans KDE, for us XFCE lovers... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:02:12 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:30:31 am »

Hammer Time rc-1.7
Did we just date ourselves Vec? I got a mental image of you sliding sideways back and forth acrossed my screen knee's knocking, with your baggy flapping yellow shiny pants.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 05:33:08 am by exeterdad » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 05:48:21 am »

Looks like we'll have a nice holiday gift from the Vector team!  Smiley
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 06:06:40 am »

Grin Download was much better, though it got a bit ragged towards the end. Burned, installed.

Install:  Selecting a /home partition, 'keep, do not format' prompt appears twice.

Selected UK keyboard layout for X, but ended up with US, had to edit xorg.conf after boot.

There are still two icons missing from the menus - About Xfce, and GTKFind.

Problem with the VASM mount applet still shows here. I select /dev/hda1, first panels detects it as HPFS/NTFS, but the third panel specifies that it is XFS. If others are not seeing this, I wonder if they are using XFS? I have both / and home as XFS, plus Zenwalk (x2) on XFS. Output of fdisk is as below:

Code:
Disk /dev/hda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10337 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1               1        2171    16412728+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda2   *        2172        2172        7560    a  OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/hda3            2173        9293    53834760    5  Extended
/dev/hda5            2173        2589     3152488+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda6            2590        2867     2101648+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda7            2868        3700     6297448+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/hda8            3701        3703       22648+  83  Linux
/dev/hda9   *        3704        5091    10493248+  35  Unknown
/dev/hda10           5092        6446    10243768+  83  Linux
/dev/hda11           6447        7279     6297448+  83  Linux
/dev/hda12           7280        8112     6297448+  83  Linux
/dev/hda13           8113        8182      529168+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda14           8183        9015     6297448+  83  Linux
/dev/hda15           9016        9293     2101648+   7  HPFS/NTFS

Fonts used for Xterm are much too large for my poor little 14.1" screen. Where are the defaults stored?

Also, one suggestion - there doesn't seem to be a calculator of any sort on the system. Would be nice to have something like Galcualator available - I always seem to need a calculator at some point.

Generally looks very good, only regression in my case is the failure to set the correct keyboard layout for X, which worked in the last RC.

There is still a link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in the root directory. That appeared with the last RC.

More later...

paul

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 06:13:09 am by toothandnail » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 06:29:40 am »

Whoops....

Just tried K3B. Nothing. Attempting to start from terminal I get this:

Code:
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libmusicbrainz.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also, I'm glad to say that Gslapt seems to be working fine now. Tried an update, followed by 'mark all updates' and 'execute', worked a treat...

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:51 am »

Whoops....

Code:
k3b: error while loading shared libraries: libmusicbrainz.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also, I'm glad to say that Gslapt seems to be working fine now. Tried an update, followed by 'mark all updates' and 'execute', worked a treat...

paul.
did you try k3b before the update?
what repo's do you have enabled? doing update here only gives 1 package to upgrade.
the vasm mount applet gets the third panel filesystem from the output of mount after it mounts the partition with auto, so im not sure if that can be fixed or why it seems to mount your ntfs partition as xfs. was it formatted as xfs before?
I have all icons here. did you overwrite your /home dir?
Xcalc is there. (we need menu item for it) does it have all needed functionality?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 08:14:05 am »

I need as many people with wireless to test VLwifi.  its in the network menu.
please try it as many ways as possible.
let me know how it works and what you think could be changed to make it work better.
It does not setup your hardware so you may need to "modprobe ndiswrapper" or whatever you use to bring up the hardware.
After that it should get wpa and the others going.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:42:38 am »

... so we implemented a nice version of xterm as a work around and will prolly go aterm in final

Might I suggest mrxvt, which we used to have on VL5.8Gold. It is a very nice fast, transparent capable multi-tabbed terminal which is not a system hog (about 1/3 less RAM than Terminal). Just an idea....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:24:34 am »

Whoops....

Code:

paul.

I got that too, the package is built against libmusicbrainz.so.4 and the system has libmusicbrainz3.so.6.1.1. A symlink worked for me.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 09:33:25 am »

Selected UK keyboard layout for X, but ended up with US, had to edit xorg.conf after boot.
Thought we'd fixed that... a regression?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 10:06:55 am »

I need as many people with wireless to test VLwifi.  its in the network menu.

What is VLwifi Huh
Do we have our very own GUI wireless tool?

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 10:12:22 am »

did you try k3b before the update?

No. I've just done a clean reinstall, K3B works now. So there must be something in the update that regressed things...

what repo's do you have enabled? doing update here only gives 1 package to upgrade.

As below...

Code:
SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/packages/
SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/
SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/testing/
SOURCE=http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/patches/

the vasm mount applet gets the third panel filesystem from the output of mount after it mounts the partition with auto, so im not sure if that can be fixed or why it seems to mount your ntfs partition as xfs. was it formatted as xfs before?

Hmm. Very strange. I tried creating a directory for /dev/hda1, then did

Code:
mount -t auto /dev/hda1 /mnt/win-c

doing mount after that gave me this:

Code:
root:# mount
/dev/hda12 on / type xfs (rw)
/dev/hda10 on /home type xfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/win-c type ntfs (rw)

So it was certainly detected correctly by 'mount auto'. The partition was FAT32, converted to NTFS by the final stages of the IBM recovery install. Never been XFS. So I have no idea why the mount applet is failing to correctly identify it.

I have all icons here. did you overwrite your /home dir?

Found the problem. I'm not exactly a fan of the Vista look. Selecting a different icon set is what causes the problem. I used Settings > User Interface Settings > Icon Theme > Gnome. I've tried several other icon themes, which also seem to be missing quite a few icons for the menus.

Xcalc is there. (we need menu item for it) does it have all needed functionality?

Grin That would do for my purposes. I'll create an xcalc.desktop to get it on the menu for the moment.

Looks good...

BTW, on the reinstall, UK keyboard for X was fine, so I don't know what caused the problem with the first install...

paul.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 10:23:38 am »

Thought we'd fixed that... a regression?

Grin Or my screw-up. Worked on the second install, so I think it may have been my error on the first...

paul.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 10:33:15 am »

Fonts used for Xterm are much too large for my poor little 14.1" screen. Where are the defaults stored?
right click the terminal icon in the panel and goto properties.
the command is "xterm -bg black -fg white -fn *-fixed-*-*-*-20-*"
try "xterm -bg black -fg white -fn *-9x15-*-*-*-18-*"
the options are endless  Smiley
also you can just CTRL+right click an xterm and adjust font there
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: