VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 09:03:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 24527 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 10:40:35 am »

Or my screw-up.
Heh, no need to be so harsh on yourself, you can attribute it to PEBKAC instead... Wink

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 11:29:31 am »

Fonts used for Xterm are much too large for my poor little 14.1" screen. Where are the defaults stored?
right click the terminal icon in the panel and goto properties.
the command is "xterm -bg black -fg white -fn *-fixed-*-*-*-20-*"
try "xterm -bg black -fg white -fn *-9x15-*-*-*-18-*"
the options are endless  Smiley
also you can just CTRL+right click an xterm and adjust font there

Smiley Thanks. Got the fonts to a more reasonable size. I've got to say that Xterm doesn't render fonts near as well as the Xfce terminal (and I'm fortunate enough not to be suffering any problems using it). I think that either Mrxvt or Aterm would be a better alternative. Both have better font rendering than Xterm, especially in smaller font sizes.

paul
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 11:38:31 am »

... so we implemented a nice version of xterm as a work around and will prolly go aterm in final

Might I suggest mrxvt, which we used to have on VL5.8Gold. It is a very nice fast, transparent capable multi-tabbed terminal which is not a system hog (about 1/3 less RAM than Terminal). Just an idea....

Only a personal preference, but rxvt-unicode is a feature rich terminal, it's not as lightweight as aterm, but it's featureful:

-Transparency
-Unicode support by default
-Extensible with perl
-Incremental scrollback buffer search

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 11:39:32 am »

give this package a try: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/aterm-1.0.1-i586-1vl59.tlz
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 11:55:18 am »

Grin I was already using a version built using Cruxports4Slackware. I like this one though - the falling letter effect is very interesting. Looks good here.

paul.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 12:11:14 pm »

excellent work everyone - 5.9 is lookin' good. One hour testing and yet to find any glitches, but I'll keep trying! What is our policy providing beta versions of browsers? The reason I ask is see my latest HOWTO re Opera. They seem to have finally resolved mplayer plugin issues with Opera 9.5Beta. The mplayer with 9.24 (provided on 5.9RC1.7) still has those problems. It is not important to me but just an idea!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2007, 12:30:15 pm »

excellent work everyone - 5.9 is lookin' good. One hour testing and yet to find any glitches, but I'll keep trying! What is our policy providing beta versions of browsers? The reason I ask is see my latest HOWTO re Opera. They seem to have finally resolved mplayer plugin issues with Opera 9.5Beta. The mplayer with 9.24 (provided on 5.9RC1.7) still has those problems. It is not important to me but just an idea!
The only policy I can think of is "if the beta works better than the last stable, Use the beta."
sounds good to me anyway (I have been called easy before though)  Grin
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2007, 07:09:31 pm »

Installation went smooth.

Printer printing!!!

First 'startx' starts now xfce4.

k3b came up smoothly.

Full screen modes still crashes and kills X.

xfce4-panel has no icons for 'quit' and 'speaker'. The spots can only be seen once the cursor is moved over them.

When audio CD is placed into CD player and clicking on icon gives error notice: cannot mount audio CD. Well we know that. Then clicking ok on that error window attaches the CD icon to the cursor and moves around with it. If it touches the panel, the panel will hide and unhide when touched again with that CD icon on the cursor.

Both audacious and mplayer can apparently not play audio CDs. Xine can.

Installed aterm and when launched it first rains columns of letters untill any key is pressed.

Needless to say that davicom eth card can only be made to access the Internet once I have rmmod tulip and modprobe dmfe. That is naturally a no go for a newcomer to Linux.

As a tickler, DSL distro does that part right. I just got version 4.0 and once booted from live CD I am connected to the Internet immediately.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:25:22 pm by Pita » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007, 07:54:15 pm »

Clean new install, everything is working well. I am exited about VLwifi, I think is a good addition to vl, I wish to have a wifi device  Tongue. The only thing I can say is about k3b. It exits without much explanation if you don't run k3bsetup as root first. New users could need some kind of guidance there.
Devs, thank you very much, is very easy to fall in love with this one. It will replace my 5.8 install soon, and damn, I love that 5.8 too.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 08:08:08 pm »

As far as amarok goes, try the 2vl59 build that is announced here and see if that solves problems. Thanks very much.

John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:16:37 pm »

audacious plays cd's well here.
just right click it goto plugin services then add cd
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:48 pm »

-Full screen modes still crashes and kills X.
-xfce4-panel has no icons for 'quit' and 'speaker'. The spots can only be seen once the cursor is moved over them.
-Installed aterm and when launched it first rains collums of letters till any key is pressed.

None of those errors occurs with me. I suggest they are symptomatic of a bad or incorrect video module/driver or xorg.conf setup. Try the vesa driver in your xorg, if that does not work use vesa driver with DefaultDepth of 16 rather than 24 and report back.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2007, 10:14:27 pm »

I've just started using my newly installed RC1.7. Looks great so far.

I used the default installation (just pressed Enter) and--no hangs! The NVIDIA proprietary driver is working fine on my 1280x 800 screen. SOUND IS WORKING OUT OF THE BOX!! Fantastic! I have to boot from the CD until I get brave enough to try EasyBCD for a dual boot with Vista, so no LILO yet. I did get a kernel panic on my first reboot after initial installation, but after I started the computer again it booted fine. It was something about timing, but I got it once before and knew that it would start the second time.

VLwifi has a lot of potential, but it needs something for DNS servers. I used a fixed IP address and specific DNS servers. After I ran VLwifi I was unable to connect to the Internet and I suspect this was because the wireless connection couldn't find the DNS server. I then tried to run Wifi-radar, but it wouldn't connect. Nothing worked until I hand edited /etc/wifi-radar/wifi-radar.conf. This would probably put a newbie into a tizzy, but it's now working fine and I'm writing this in SeaMonkey.

I'll continue testing tomorrow and hopefully get RC 1.7 installed on my Celeron desktop.

Great job! Thanks so much.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 10:26:45 pm »

audacious plays cd's well here.
just right click it goto plugin services then add cd

Thanks! That worked. Never saw that, used to xmms, one click and play.

It seems there is no further point of me testing as long there is that buggy xorg savage video driver. It has become a merry-go-round. Changing to vesa and 16 DefaultDepth changed nothing except trying to get out of X the system hangs as reported before.

If xorg cannot fix that I might have to stay with VL5.8, look for another distro (would hate that, I love VL) or put a request to Santa Claus for an external graphic card. What specifics should I tell him?

Another alternative would be to use the graphic driver fbdev and may be find a way for a smaller diaplay. Thngs are rahter large. The suggestion before to use vega=795 makes things too tiny for my sight.

Regards
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 12:53:35 am by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 01:03:08 am »

Installing
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/aterm-1.0.1-i586-1vl59.tlz
does not only give a rain of columns of letters when launcheduntil any key is pressed. the same happens now in xterm and in VL5.8.
Uninstalling it stops that happening. In VL5.8 I use anyhow another aterm w/o that effect.

Just thought to let you know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: