VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 09:47:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 25352 times)
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2007, 05:05:56 pm »

If not, try the command pnpdump as root and see what it finds. Maybe alsaconf detected the wrong chip and you can then just rerun alsaconf, choose ISA and uncheck those chips that don't apply.

I get no boards found. By looking inside, do you mean take it apart? I could do that. Maybe in a little while.

Wallpapers: I really think a new wallpaper selection is in order. The KDE Oxygen team just released the winners to the KDE 4 wallpaper contest. I would suggest that these wallpapers be included in VL to either replace or add to the very sad existing collection. Here they are: http://dot.kde.org/1195329269/

HAL: When I insert a CD and mount it, ejecting it by right-clicking on the icon and pressing "eject" works fine. However, If I press the eject button on the drive itself, a dialog pops up on the screen with this error:

Failed to eject "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model__NEC_DVD_RW_ND_3540A".

Given device "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_model__NEC_DVD_RW_ND_3540A" is not a volume or drive.

Pressing the eject button on the CD-ROM drive should give the same results as right-clicking on the CD icon and ejecting. (This is on my desktop BTW)

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2007, 05:40:49 pm »

Wallpapers: I really think a new wallpaper selection is in order. The KDE Oxygen team just released the winners to the KDE 4 wallpaper contest. I would suggest that these wallpapers be included in VL to either replace or add to the very sad existing collection. Here they are: http://dot.kde.org/1195329269/

I didn't like them at all. I agree that the VL wallpapers leave a lot to be desired. I detest the granite-wall default and like Big Blue Vec and Bluerays. I use Big Blue Vec and will rework it after VL Standard goes Gold. I used a modified version for my VL 5.8. I don't like the text on Big Blue Vec and I also need to adjust it for the screen resolutions on my computers (1024x768, 1280x1040, and 1280x800). Bluerays is nice but it's too dark. I hate dark wallpapers, but they seems to be popular in Linux circles for reasons I don't understand. Maybe I'm too old.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2007, 05:44:22 pm »

..By looking inside, do you mean take it apart?
Yes and look for the chip name and number on the audio chip (which if it is on an ISA card is obvious), if on the motherboard it is often located close to the audio jacks. I'm hoping, for your sake, it is not an OPL3 ...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2007, 05:47:35 pm »

..By looking inside, do you mean take it apart?
Yes and look for the chip name and number on the audio chip (which if it is on an ISA card is obvious), if on the motherboard it is often located close to the audio jacks. I'm hoping, for your sake, it is not an OPL3 ...

Isn't it his *laptop* that has the OPL3 chip? I can't believe you're advising someone to open up a laptop. There certainly is no "obvious ISA card."
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:29 pm »

Isn't it his *laptop* that has the OPL3 chip? I can't believe you're advising someone to open up a laptop.
Oh no I would never do that - most of them never get back together in one piece - I didn't realize it was a laptop !  Cheesy

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2007, 06:23:45 pm »

...the power icon on the system tray (you know, the one that lets you log off etc..) It looks fuzzy and blurry.
That seems to be because the resolution of the button is too small for that large width panel. Reduce the size of the panel (which is way too wide for me anyways) to 25 pixels and the button looks just fine. Maybe we should get a higher res icon there though despite the width of the panel.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:43 am »

...the power icon on the system tray (you know, the one that lets you log off etc..) It looks fuzzy and blurry.
That seems to be because the resolution of the button is too small for that large width panel. Reduce the size of the panel (which is way too wide for me anyways) to 25 pixels and the button looks just fine. Maybe we should get a higher res icon there though despite the width of the panel.

Grin I usually remove the Quit icon from the panel anyway (prefer it on right-click). I've also got to say that I don't much like the default icon theme. I normally change it to the Gnome theme, which is much cleaner looking. The trouble is that it seems to be missing some icons for the menus.

paul.
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2007, 05:33:00 am »

toothandnail, there are plenty of cool icon themes available at gnome-look.org:

http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=high&page=0&xcontentmode=120

have fun Wink

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:38 am »

Isn't it his *laptop* that has the OPL3 chip? I can't believe you're advising someone to open up a laptop.
Oh no I would never do that - most of them never get back together in one piece - I didn't realize it was a laptop !  Cheesy

Heheh, too late. I pulled most of it apart but short of destroying it, I couldn't get to the sound chip. Those things don't come apart very easily and there are no obvious screws to just pull it apart. I don't really care about this laptop that much anyway. If it was newer, I would never have attempted to pull it apart to see.

I found, that the ISA part of alsaconf doesn't work. If you disable say the Yamaha driver, it says it's going to add the next one down. It always tries to use the driver that's on the top of the list no matter what. When it asks if I want to try all IRQ and DMA combinations, if I chose yes, it takes a few seconds and then choses the driver that's at the top of the list. If I chose no, it hangs. I found that it trys to run this command
modprobe -r snd_op13sa2
and if I run that command by itself outside of alsaconf, it hangs and doens't do anything. In other words, alsaconf doesn't work for ISA cards, it just uses the first driver on the list.

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2007, 11:57:49 am »

Audacious crashes each time I try to play a song.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2007, 12:04:46 pm »

what type of song are you trying to play?
is it a track on an audio cd or a mp3 file on the HD for instance.
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2007, 12:31:00 pm »

what type of song are you trying to play?
is it a track on an audio cd or a mp3 file on the HD for instance.

I'm trying to play every MP3 located in my home directory (/dev/hda, non-external). All files run normally with mplayer. It crashed printing "Illegal instruction".

It might has something to do with my CPU (733 MHz Intel Celeron), since I doupt it supports the optmized instruction sets. Could also be something else, though.
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2007, 01:04:33 pm »

Also experiencing something funny with pidgin. I can't log into my gmail account for some reason and the application stops responding after a long while (2-3 hours). Kill and restart fixes the problem.

P.S. Forget the gmail stuff, it was temporary problem of Google.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 01:13:24 pm by Mihail121 » Logged
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2007, 01:38:01 pm »

The wireless stuff doesn't work for me. It just doesn't. I'm using Ndiswrapper but when I try to connect (In vasm) it says that I have no wireless interfaces. I can connect up just fine using ifconfig, iwlist, etc... but using the VL tools is a no go. I tried the new VLwifi tool (or whatever it's called) but after I enter the essid and the encryption (I don't have any encryption) it disappears and nothing happens.

Mihail121-tera

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2007, 01:42:21 pm »

Ok, I figured out the Pidgin crashing has something to do with ALSA. When I play something with MPlayer (music) pidgin stops responding after a while. With no MPlayer it works just fine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: