VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 08:05:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hammer Time rc-1.7  (Read 25261 times)
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2007, 06:50:42 am »

I'm trying to play every MP3 located in my home directory (/dev/hda, non-external). All files run normally with mplayer. It crashed printing "Illegal instruction".

It might has something to do with my CPU (733 MHz Intel Celeron), since I doupt it supports the optmized instruction sets. Could also be something else, though.

Try running Audacious as root. Open a terminal, su to root,type
audacious
at the prompt, and see if you can play an MP3. I can't play MP3s as user, but if I run Audacious as root, MP3s play fine. Something is amiss, obviously.
--GrannyGeek

Tried that yesterday already Granny, "illegal instruction" as a root too.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2007, 01:11:23 pm »

I'm writing this from my Athlon 64 X2 computer where I've just installed RC1.7. No problems so far. I installed the proprietary ATI driver and it's working, in contrast to my other desktop with a Radeon 9200, where any attempt to build the proprietary driver with VASM generates an error and doesn't work. Maybe the Radeon 9200 is too old for that driver. When 5.9 goes Gold I'll try building the Radeon driver from the proper download for the Radeon 9200 from ATI's Web site.

I do occasionally get minor artifacts onscreen with the Athlon 64. Not enough to be concerned with, but something must be not quite right.

Audacious is playing both WMAs and MP3s when I run it as user. My Celeron desktop and Turion 64 laptop don't play MP3s as user. The sound in the Athlon desktop is given in lspci as Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02).

Nothing else to report yet. So far this computer seems extremely happy with RC1.7.

I'm extremely happy with RC1.7, too. Smiley Am really looking forward to the final release.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2007, 01:24:59 pm »

Good news, I tried the VL wireless tool again and this time it worked! I don't know what went differently, but this time, it setup the wireless and I was connected in no time.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2007, 11:19:29 pm »

I just want to report that I have successfuly installed dropline-gnome-2.20-Beta. All works well and I must say I like and need it since I am used to gnome programs since a long time. Even so I will stay with fluxbox as my desktop.

I uninstalled audacious as well and installed xmms instead which is more to my liking. Such is the beauty of Linux.

As for the need of multiple browsers here is a case in point. Yesterday I wanted to place some orders over the internet. On the company and their website I could first not enter anything in search and when I had to enter my data to finalize the order I could enter nothing in the fields required. I only could paste into it. That was with firefox, switch to seamonkey, same problem. Try opera, and I could place my order.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2007, 01:37:46 am »

transmission is a fine client.I think that by the time of vec 6's final release,the trackker error issues would be solved

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2007, 07:29:09 pm »

The line in /etc/rc.d/rc.S for TuxOnIce uses the wrong path: /sys/power/suspend2/do_resume. It should be: /sys/power/tuxonice/do_resume.

When I logout of the gui and try to use the console login option afterwards I am unable to do so. (I have the same problem in 5.8 SOHO too.) If I boot and go directly to a console login there is not problem only when I login to a gui (xfce, kde, etc.).

As for selection the source code for ATI or NVIDIA drivers on set up when one has an intel chipset. This did not drop me out to the command prompt (as it seemed to do to Lyn) but it did change the installation routine. The end result was still a working xorg.
HTH,
Mike
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 07:35:40 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #111 on: November 25, 2007, 12:41:51 pm »

Just a few other notes on the kernel (2.6.22.12):
For TuxOnIce the LZF compressor option needs to be built in (not a module).
Is there a reason for not using a "tickless timer"? (I'm just curious to know.)

BTW, just loaded the rc1.11 build of VL and aside from the things I've listed in this and my last post all seems well. I do like the new, default wallpaper.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #112 on: November 25, 2007, 12:51:18 pm »

I can't mount an NTFS partition except as root. When I try as user, I get this:
me:$ mount /mnt/win-c
Error opening partition device: Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/hda2': Permission denied

I can mount as root.

Here is my fstab entry:
/dev/hda2   /mnt/win-c  ntfs-3g   defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,noauto,nls=utf8,noexec   0  0     

This is happening for sure on my Turion laptop and Athlon 64 desktop. I don't remember if I tried to mount an NTFS partition on the Celeron desktop and laptop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2007, 01:27:55 am »

Just a few other notes on the kernel (2.6.22.12):
For TuxOnIce the LZF compressor option needs to be built in (not a module).
Is there a reason for not using a "tickless timer"? (I'm just curious to know.)

Yes! the LZF compressor must be built-in otherwise the computer can't resume.

About the tickless timer: it doesn't work too well with older hardware (I'm guessing Pentium 3 and lower). In my case (Pentium 3 900mhz) the kernel just freezes almost immediately after it starts booting if I have the tickless timer enabled.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2007, 08:35:32 am »

Wow, new releases coming fast! Now running RC1.12.

- Desktop launchers for docs and forum have no icons, as the launcher refers to /usr/share/icons/default/...., which does not exist.

- Normal users don't get a "Start" button on panel. Maybe just a well, as I don't care for the purple tomato that shows up on root's panel  Grin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:56 am »

I've been in rc1.12 for a few hours now playing with stuff.  I had to jump in to root to see the "tomato".  That's a riot!  Cheesy

As reported earlier, fluxbox is awesome!  Haven't dinked with it for several releases.  I like were it's going.  And that vlbar or wbar thingie is pretty fun to play with.  Works with xfce too.  Had a few minor hitches, not sure if this is a actual release so I'll hold tight until another thread pops up to talk about them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: