VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 06:32:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install didn't complete  (Read 2409 times)
tonymoloney

« on: November 20, 2007, 10:24:00 pm »

I've just had a look at VectorLinux and I'm very, very impressed.
I've run up the live CD on three different systems, each of different specs and it behaved perfectly in each one.
So I decided to install V on the oldest system which is a pre-2000 IBM Aptiva with 128Mb RAM
The installation went well, right up to the final step (just after confirming the x system) and hung. This was at the point when I would have expected the little clock mouse pointer/icon to appear, but it didn't get that far.
This system has previously had Damn Small Linux on it and it worked OK, but DSL is nothing like VL so I would really like to get VL working properly.
Any ideas, anyone?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 03:39:13 am »

Can you describe hung? Did you have a blank screen?
Anything on the screen after X setup? What happens after
a reboot?

It sounds like the video probe failed.

There are a couple things you can try. Use the vesa driver
(it is a generic and 99% of time works) or download an iso.

Bigpaws

tonymoloney

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 09:04:56 pm »

Sure.
Hung means a blank screen and no activity on the hard drive.
I installed from a downloaded ISO (downloaded yesterday, so it's the latest)
How do I use the Vesa driver?
Tony
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 04:48:55 am »

During the install there is a video probe which
iirc trys to identify your video driver. Usually a
choice is shown chose the vesa one.

Please the VL version would help as well.

Bigpaws
tonymoloney

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 02:41:32 pm »

Sorry about that. I'm using 5.8 standard.
I'll have another attempt to install some time today and see if I can choose the vesa video.
Tony
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 03:07:18 pm »

Hi Tony, try this, login as root in the tui mode, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with a text editor of your choice. Find a line with Driver "xxxx" and switch whatever is the current value to vesa. Let us know if that works for you. Also tell us what video card and monitor you are using. You can find the exact chipset of your videocard with the lspci command.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
tonymoloney

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 12:06:58 am »

Well, I can't login as anything as I don't get to a login screen - just a black screen without a flashing cursor, even.
I am trying to install VL in place of a slow Xubuntu installation, so I just choose  hda1 and let it go from there.
Should I repartition my hard disk with gparted first and get rid of Xubuntu? I don't need to keep it, as this is just a test system that I use to try out different small distros.
So far, I've had a dual booting Win98/DSL then Xubuntu on this system and now I want to try VL (without the dual boot option).
If VL runs as well as it does from the live CD, that's the one I'll keep on the system.
Tony
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 05:23:48 am »

Do you get the Lilo prompt asking for a kernel to boot? If not, try booting the install cd and select "repair lilo" or something like that. If you get a Lilo screen, select "Linux tui".

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
tonymoloney

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 03:47:21 pm »

All I have is the live CD, which doesn't give me that option.
It does give me a debug option which I tried and followed through without any errors, right up to the point at which it hangs.
To be more precise, it hangs after successfully testing the X configuration, then quickly shows a colorful terminal log-in screen, which immediately goes away. This should then be replace by a GUI log-in screen, but it never gets that far.
I've seen this GUI log-in screen come up on another system that I have.
Tony
tonymoloney

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 05:14:14 pm »

Also, among the boot options, there is a cli function which, when chosen, says that "That function does not exist".
Tony
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 05:39:56 pm »

Hi Tony, honestly, I am not very familiar with the live-cd, and lesser with the live-cd installer. What I do know is the live-cd is intended to give the opportunity to test and try VL and the live installer is still a work in progress. If you are seriously interested in vl you should use the install cd instead. That said, I am not sure if this command is shipped with the live cd, but boot with it and try to run as root the vliloconf command. I think your problem is the boot loader never got properly installed.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 05:45:41 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

--
Jumalauta!!
tonymoloney

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 02:42:40 pm »

Good news! I followed your advice and downloaded the install CD ISO version of 5.8, burnt it to a CD and that fixed everything.
I've now got a couple of other old systems that I am confident that I will be able to revive with VL.
Thanks for the help.
Tony
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 03:44:02 pm »

That's great, Tony. I am sure VL will do a lot for those machines. I hope to see you around...

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: