VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 02:43:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installing a .tlz file tru installpkg  (Read 1465 times)
icedtea
Vectorite

« on: November 20, 2007, 11:19:34 pm »

hi is this possible? i have downloaded some packages in the VL repo with .tlz as an extension -- actually its Firefox.. BUT when i tried installing it using installpkg .. it does not continue. .

so how can i install a tlz file in VL? without using gslapt? -- (or do i really need to use this one)

using VL 5.1 SOHO , 5.8 GOLD
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:31:46 am »

BUT when i tried installing it using installpkg .. it does not continue. .
What VL version are you using (Please, do add this info to either your question or in your "signature"). Does trying to install give any errors whatsoever? if so, please post them!

so how can i install a tlz file in VL? without using gslapt?
Another command you can try is
Code:
upgradepkg -i somepackage.tlz
Is there any special reason why you downloaded it instead of using gslapt?

[edit]
I just noticed you have vl 5.1 in another topic. .tlz is only supported from version 5.8 and higher, so you got a package for a newer version of VL. Even if you installed all the necessary stuff to install .tlz packages you'll probably still run into a lot of trouble.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 12:37:36 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
icedtea
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:35:25 am »

BUT when i tried installing it using installpkg .. it does not continue. .
What VL version are you using (Please, do add this info to either your question or in your "signature"). Does trying to install give any errors whatsoever? if so, please post them!

so how can i install a tlz file in VL? without using gslapt?
Another command you can try is
Code:
upgradepkg -i somepackage.tlz
Is there any special reason why you downloaded it instead of using gslapt?

[edit]
I just noticed you have vl 5.1 in another topic. .tlz is only supported from version 5.8 and higher, so you got a package for a newer version of VL. Even if you installed all the necessary stuff to install .tlz packages you'll probably still run into a lot of trouble.
[/edit]

oh okay. yes im using VL 5.1 soho. so it means i cant install ffox.tlz in 5.1 because i have been looking for sites where i can download some VL 5.1 packages but as per searching the repo threads here i cant anymore access them. .

thanks for the reply

using VL 5.1 SOHO , 5.8 GOLD
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 06:22:09 am »

You can download and install a replacement for 'pkgtools' from the Tukaani project and, if you also install Tukaani's LZMA Utils, you will be able to install .tlz packages.

Please be aware that you might very well experience problems installing TLZ packages designed for use with VL 5.8 on a VL 5.1 system. Your 'ffox.tlz', for example, may require system libraries that are a newer version.

Nonetheless, Tukaani's PKGTOOLS provides some nice additional functionality -- it can setup Slackware mirrors and sites such as LinuxPackages.net to be "repositories" from which you can install packages directly -- and is (to my knowledge) a completely safe alternative. The LZMA Utils are also in and of themselves useful to have available.

There may be VL 5.1 versions of these two packages available. If so, you should probably use them instead of the ones provided by Tukaani.

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: