VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 06:26:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDElibs prebundled in 5.9 standard?  (Read 4325 times)
Will
Vectorite

« on: November 21, 2007, 01:24:20 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd read thigns right but is that going to be the case? If so then why?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:41:16 pm »

I'm not sure if I'd read thigns right but is that going to be the case? If so then why?

I don't have any official knowledge, but since K3B will be the CD/DVD burner in 5.0 Standard, the kdelibs will have to be included. I think that's all that's needed to get K3B working, not the whole KDE bundle.

As I understand it, K3B will be included because the other burners have proved unsatisfactory for one reason or another. And indeed, K3B is a terrific program.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 02:41:11 pm »

Ahh. Had wondered as I recall the discussion shortly before the 5.1 release going towards bundling kdelibs, but finally desciding not due to graveman being a good solution for vetor-standard. To be honest, while it isn't k3b, it is a good front-end to the odd assortment of programs that works behind the gui.

Still, k3b is, from what i can see, The Program to use for burning in linux.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:11 pm »

Ahh. Had wondered as I recall the discussion shortly before the 5.1 release going towards bundling kdelibs, but finally desciding not due to graveman being a good solution for vetor-standard. To be honest, while it isn't k3b, it is a good front-end to the odd assortment of programs that works behind the gui.

I think I heard that Graveman had gone into the grave, i.e., development had stopped. So eventually the program would have to be replaced like it or not.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 04:09:47 pm »

Sad, but if thats how it is then that's how it is.
Will
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:01:32 pm »

question:

Is there any perticular reason xfburn isn't bundled instead, or does it simply not compete that well with k3b in terms of useability by joe user?
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 12:05:45 pm »

On my machine, I've not been able to get xfburn to work (at all) on any of the beta's or rc's for 5.9.  So I'm plenty happy about K3b being added.  Kdelibs really isn't that big.  A portion of the libs is needed to run the KDM login manager anyway.
alec

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 02:20:06 am »

Not quite sure, but do Amarok, Kopete and Krusader use those libs as well? I often use these for lack of anything better.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 04:55:16 am »

Not quite sure, but do Amarok, Kopete and Krusader use those libs as well? I often use these for lack of anything better.

Yes, but they need other stuff to work. I am running those in 5.9 without many problems.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 05:09:27 am »

Amarok will also ask you for kdebase, when you install it from the repo.
However, if you unmark kdebase in gslapt (or use --no-dep in slapt-get), Amarok works just fine.
I think kdebase is only needed for Konqueror integration, so you shouldn't lose anything if you skip it (at least, nothing I have noticed).
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 05:13:11 am »

As I understand it, K3B will be included because the other burners have proved unsatisfactory for one reason or another.

Maybe kdelibs only gets installed if one chooses to install k3b during the installation of 5.9 ?

I might be wrong, but I think when I installed RC3 , I chose k3b (and it was working perfectly), but when I checked gslapt, kdelibs wasn't marked as installed... weird.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: