VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 11:32:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc2 bugs/annoyances  (Read 24537 times)
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2007, 12:39:07 pm »

Ok, I'm just going to be blunt: I really hate that icon. It doesn't give any branding you would expect from a distro, and it just looks...childish or immature.

Couldn't agree more...

Granted I've only seen a screenie, because I still have not installed this release, but I say the icon gots to go!.. No offence, but it just doesn't say "Look at me... I'm a serious OS".
We got a little creative in the vectorlinux-admin chat, here's my take on things:
http://the.headacher.googlepages.com/Ugly_prune_animation.gif

Ps. So far little issues with 5.9 RC2

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2007, 12:53:05 pm »

I've installed RC2 on my Turion laptop, whose history with Linux is troubled but has been improving. I thought the issues were fixed with RC 1.7. Alas, they're back with RC2.

Sound is not working--AGAIN! It seems it gets fixed in one beta or RC and is broken again in the next one. Sad The problem is the same as always: it looks like sound is playing (dancing bars in XMMS) but there is no sound from the speakers. If I start xmms from the command line, there are no error messages. In Xine the file simply didn't play at all. Mixer sound levels are all adjusted and not muted. This is SigmaTel HDA CODEC/STAC9200. This is SOOOO frustrating!

Next problem: VLwifi configures my WPA wireless very nicely and I can use my browser right after running VLwifi (as I am now). However, although I checked "connect at boot" or whatever the option is, it doesn't survive a reboot. I have to go through the entire configuration every time. I don't have to go through the whole "load a driver in ndiswrapper" thing, but from that point on I have to do the whole routine every time--ESSID, WPA password, addresses (I used fixed IP and specific DNS addresses). In RC1.7 once I got the thing going, it connected again on the next boot. So VLwifi is very good and very easy at setting up the wireless connection, but for some reason it can't survive a reboot.

On the plus side, I was able to install the default kernel without hanging. That was an issue before RC 1.7, maybe even 1.3. It's all starting to blur. Smiley

As for the "Start" button, I hate it! It's ugly and I can't even tell what it is except for some kind of eyes. Hey, are you all using 640x480? On a modern resolution the icon is too small to know what it's supposed to be. Also, the default font sizes are WAY too small. Even with qtconfig and adjustments in XFce's Settings Manager, I still get type so small that I can barely make it out on some screens that don't comply with qtconfig or XFce settings. I notice xorg.conf's monitor section has a
DisplaySize 338 211 # 96 DPI @ 1280x800
line. It seems there should be a way to have that adjusted to 120 DPI as in Windows' Large Fonts. Hey, I haven't used 96 DPI since I got a 1024x768 monitor way back in the last century! Being able to set the font default at 120 DPI instead of 96 would make all the fonts larger at the outset with the same opportunities to customize the font sizes as we have now.

Anyway, I hope a fix for my sound is forthcoming.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 01:03:05 pm »

We got a little creative in the vectorlinux-admin chat, here's my take on things:
http://the.headacher.googlepages.com/Ugly_prune_animation.gif
Cheesy
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 01:08:42 pm »

God, downloaded last night. Very slow and didnĀ“t pass the md5. I am downloading again now. The curiosity about that button is killing me.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 01:43:26 pm »

I've found 2 things so far:

1)  Mplayer doesn't play DVD's, it either says "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device." or nothing at all, depending on what video driver I choose .

When I start it from commandline ("gmplayer /dev/dvd") it does play, but I get lots of weird squares all over the screen. Also, a lot of errors concerning "a52" (audio codec) show up.

Playing it in xine works fine though.

2)  "vasmCC -> Filesystem -> Partition" doesn't seem to work.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 01:48:25 pm »

toothandnail,
can you try this code below and see if it fixes it?

Code:
PARTITION=/dev/hda1
mount $PARTITION /mnt/hd
LINE=`mount | grep -e "$PARTITION "`
FSTYPE=`echo $LINE | cut -f5 -d ' '`
echo $FSTYPE

Cool  Grin Great! That does it. As below:

Code:
root:# PARTITION=/dev/hda1
t-40vl://mnt
root:# mount $PARTITION /mnt/hd
root:# LINE=`mount | grep -e "$PARTITION "`
root:# FSTYPE=`echo $LINE | cut -f5 -d ' '`
root:# echo $FSTYPE
ntfs

Thanks....

paul
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2007, 02:08:12 pm »

IAs for the "Start" button, I hate it! It's ugly and I can't even tell what it is except for some kind of eyes. Hey, are you all using 640x480? On a modern resolution the icon is too small to know what it's supposed to be. Also, the default font sizes are WAY too small. Even with qtconfig and adjustments in XFce's Settings Manager, I still get type so small that I can barely make it out on some screens that don't comply with qtconfig or XFce settings. I notice xorg.conf's monitor section has a
DisplaySize 338 211 # 96 DPI @ 1280x800
line. It seems there should be a way to have that adjusted to 120 DPI as in Windows' Large Fonts. Hey, I haven't used 96 DPI since I got a 1024x768 monitor way back in the last century! Being able to set the font default at 120 DPI instead of 96 would make all the fonts larger at the outset with the same opportunities to customize the font sizes as we have now.

Grin Shows how different people's reqirements are. The first thing I do on installing Vector is to reduce the size of the desktop icons, the size of the desktop fonts, then all the other fonts on the system. My laptop is less than cutting edge technology - only good for 1024x768 and I find all the fonts much too large...

As to being able to adjust the font DPI, that isn't too far off. Have a look a this:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/%7Epaulm/files/xfce4.png

Smiley So you shouldn't have too long to wait until you can adjust the DPI from within X.

paul
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2007, 02:16:59 pm »

Well, now the download stoped at 99%. Anyone having the same problem?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2007, 03:15:44 pm »

Well, now the download stoped at 99%. Anyone having the same problem?

Mine stopped a couple of times. I'm very grateful for wget...

Its a strange problem. The first couple of isos I downloaded were fine. Then I got a couple of very slow downloads, one not so bad, and the last one which took around six and a half hours.

paul.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25:58 pm »

I was fortunate.  I had just downloaded the rc1.12.  Then rc2 hit the shelves, so I used a 6mb delta to create the rc2.iso.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 04:56:36 pm »

Grin Shows how different people's reqirements are. The first thing I do on installing Vector is to reduce the size of the desktop icons, the size of the desktop fonts, then all the other fonts on the system. My laptop is less than cutting edge technology - only good for 1024x768 and I find all the fonts much too large...

As to being able to adjust the font DPI, that isn't too far off. Have a look a this:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/%7Epaulm/files/xfce4.png

How old are you? Smiley At some point in life, the eyes start to go and the fonts get bigger. I passed that point about twenty years ago.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2007, 05:09:02 pm »

About an hour ago I finished installing RC2 on my Celeron desktop. It has always been very Linux friendly and the friendship continues under RC2.

I haven't done much testing, but when I tried to select Double Size for XMMS, XMMS disappeared as in "shut down." That also happened on my Turion laptop, the difference being that I get sound on the Celeron desktop but no sound on the laptop. Anyway, XMMS can't seem to handle being double sized and it's pretty useless to me at the size it comes up in because I can't read anything, like song titles. I'll do more testing tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:34 pm »

to get xmms to do doublesize you have to start it with this command
"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && xmms"
we should probably add that to the launcher
let me know if it works for you.

Uelsk8s
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2007, 06:17:29 pm »

OK the good news, my i810 graphics were configures without a problem, so I booted into a nice Xfce desktop.

The bad news, I can't launch a terminal - from an icon on a panel or from the menu.  Also I can't launch a terminal ap like Htop.  The result is the same, chashes X.  This is all in Xfce
Lyn can you try launching xterm (ALT+F2) and then run terminal and some other apps like htop after typing this
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2007, 06:32:28 pm »

to get xmms to do doublesize you have to start it with this command
"export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 && xmms"
we should probably add that to the launcher
let me know if it works for you.

It worked on both computers but has to be run from a terminal. If I tried it with XFce's Run command, it doesn't start. Of course, it didn't get sound working on the laptop. Wink
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: