Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc2 bugs/annoyances  (Read 53746 times)

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
Re: VectorLinux5.9-rc2 bugs/annoyances
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 06:58:47 pm »
Hey everybody, I just released Multimedia Bonus Disc Alpha 2. It would be nice to have a bunch of people who are testing out VL 5.9 to also test this out. Thanks.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4040.msg32042#msg32042
Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 07:29:16 pm »
Does the Multimedia Bonus Disk have to be installed on its own partition? In other words, would it be a VL installation in its own right? I can't test if it requires its own partition.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
The Multimedia Bonus Disc is an "addon" to VL. To install, one simply needs to open the CD within VL5.9 and click on the "Install" icon. It doesn't require any additional partitions, but merely contains a very nice selection of multimedia packages that get installed on your existing VL5.9 installation.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:40:52 pm by Dweeberkitty »
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 07:53:07 pm »
1)  Mplayer doesn't play DVD's, it either says "Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device." or nothing at all, depending on what video driver I choose .

I get the same error with the default driver. Selecting 'X11 (XImage/Shm )' driver works for me.

I like the 'freemem' thing, but I think it should show some alert, like 'Done', when executed.

Kdelibs gives unmet dependency, it complains about vlnvidia package. All kde apps gives 'undefined symbols' if you don't upgrade kdelibs from the testing repo. I am sure it worked before, I installed kde from the repo in the previous releases, something went wrong with the kdelibs package.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 08:30:21 pm »
OK the good news, my i810 graphics were configures without a problem, so I booted into a nice Xfce desktop.

The bad news, I can't launch a terminal - from an icon on a panel or from the menu.  Also I can't launch a terminal ap like Htop.  The result is the same, chashes X.  This is all in Xfce
Lyn can you try launching xterm (ALT+F2) and then run terminal and some other apps like htop after typing this
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

Wow!! It worked for me!
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!

JohnB316

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
  • Registered Linux User #386728
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:05 pm »
---snip---

Kdelibs gives unmet dependency, it complains about vlnvidia package. All kde apps gives 'undefined symbols' if you don't upgrade kdelibs from the testing repo. I am sure it worked before, I installed kde from the repo in the previous releases, something went wrong with the kdelibs package.

I built KDE 3.5.8 for VL 5.9 on a different box from the one I normally use. That particular box had the vlnvidia package installed. That's why the problems. I'll rebuild kdelibs on a box that does not have the proprietary nvidia drivers on it.

Thanks for pointing this out,
John

P.S.: To packagers: try not to build packages on boxes that have the proprietary video drivers for reasons that are made obvious from the quote above. ;-)
VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 09:57:53 pm »
---snip---

I built KDE 3.5.8 for VL 5.9 on a different box from the one I normally use. That particular box had the vlnvidia package installed. That's why the problems. I'll rebuild kdelibs on a box that does not have the proprietary nvidia drivers on it.

John

P.S.: To packagers: try not to build packages on boxes that have the proprietary video drivers for reasons that are made obvious from the quote above. ;-)
This is one that packagers will have to watch closely.
The vlnvidia package has the source and libs for building and installing the proprietary nvidia driver. makeslapt and requiredbuilder  Are seeing the libs in this package and assuming that they are the ones that the system is using.
The vlnvidia package should not be installed on package build boxes even if the driver is not installed into the system. if it is you will get a fake dependency on it.

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 10:39:01 pm »
Finally made it. The first download was corrupted, the second attempt failed and the third instaledd now nicely.

First I had to change that ugly prune on the xfce4-panel.

The internet connection needed this time more steps. Previously I just had to rmmod tulip and modprobe dmfe for my Davicom eth card and the connecetion was established. This time I had to set USE_DHCP[0]="yes" and then rc.inet1 start. Further I have to blacklist tulip and in rc.modules enable dmfe. I am used to this by now, however, that is a no go for a newcomer if that person happens to have a davicom eth card.

The real bad news, I CAN'T PRINT AGAIN as with kernel 2.6.23.1.
 I have to change to the previous kernel and hope to find it.

WRONG! Started with VL-hot changed to HAL and printer is working. That was not the case with 2.6.23.1 it would not print with HAL

$ look previous
look: /usr/share/dict/words: No such file or directory

I thought that dictionary is a standard feature.

Playing audio CDs works again with one click with xmms. Thanks. And DVD etc. work well with xine. I have not tried mplayer since I have an aversion to it.
In firefox embedded mplayer works for video streaming.

Regards

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 12:02:19 am by Pita »

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2007, 11:27:58 pm »
The Multimedia Bonus Disc is an "addon" to VL. To install, one simply needs to open the CD within VL5.9 and click on the "Install" icon. It doesn't require any additional partitions, but merely contains a very nice selection of multimedia packages that get installed on your existing VL5.9 installation.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Can you pick which packages you want if you click on the Install icon?
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

Lyn

• Vectorian
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2007, 01:14:28 am »
OK the good news, my i810 graphics were configures without a problem, so I booted into a nice Xfce desktop.

The bad news, I can't launch a terminal - from an icon on a panel or from the menu.  Also I can't launch a terminal ap like Htop.  The result is the same, chashes X.  This is all in Xfce
Lyn can you try launching xterm (ALT+F2) and then run terminal and some other apps like htop after typing this
export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

OK that works - no problems there

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 02:19:51 am »
How old are you? :) At some point in life, the eyes start to go and the fonts get bigger. I passed that point about twenty years ago.

;D I had my 57th birthday a little while ago. As to the fonts, so long as they're clean, I have no problems with them. In some distros they are so jagged that I can't deal with them even when they're the size that Vector comes with as standard.

Using the MS corefonts helps as well, though some of the newer open source fonts (such as the Liberation fonts) are rapidly getting to a standard that will remove the need for the MS fonts. I've also got a set of fonts from Vista which I must try sometime soon.

Even without the DPI settings available in Xfce 4.4.2, DPI can be forced. I just can't remember how to do it...

paul.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:20 am »
---snip---

John

Thanks John. BTW, I used the --no-dep flag and everything works.

--
Jumalauta!!

exeterdad

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 04:10:21 am »
This is one that packagers will have to watch closely.
The vlnvidia package has the source and libs for building and installing the proprietary nvidia driver. makeslapt and requiredbuilder  Are seeing the libs in this package and assuming that they are the ones that the system is using.
The vlnvidia package should not be installed on package build boxes even if the driver is not installed into the system. if it is you will get a fake dependency on it.

I've been bitten by this before.  I never get to have a decent video driver  :-\

Dweeberkitty

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • Multimedia Bonus Disc
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 08:10:05 am »

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. Can you pick which packages you want if you click on the Install icon?
--GrannyGeek

Unfortunately, not yet. Probably what will end up happening later is the installer will open Gslapt and you can choose from there, but I have yet to make that work. Also, the packages will *hopefully* get put into the repos soon and you could choose the packages from there. But, for testing purposes, it's nice to be able to test out everything to make sure it works. Don't worry, individual package selection will be in place before a final release.

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.....So what should I do?  :-\
Now that I've built some 120 packages on a system that has Nvidia drivers installed. Do I have to rebuild and resubmit everything? Isn't there some other way of resolving this? Such as adding vlnvidia to the repos? Thanks for the warning ahead of time.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 08:17:11 am by Dweeberkitty »

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:34 am »

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh.....So what should I do?  :-\
Now that I've built some 120 packages on a system that has Nvidia drivers installed. Do I have to rebuild and resubmit everything? Isn't there some other way of resolving this? Such as adding vlnvidia to the repos? Thanks for the warning ahead of time.  ;)

The vlnvidia package is an optional package that has to be unselected at install time. Because of that I believe tha 90% or more users will have this package on their box whether they have an nvidia card or not.
There are a couple of scenarios here:
1) you have the vlnvidia package installed but the driver is not installed. In this case you may have some packages with a "FAKE" dep on it. You may safely edit the slack-required file and remove the vlnvidia line.
2)you have the vlnvidia package installed, and the driver is installed (nvidia libs in /usr and you get the nvidia splash screen when X starts) in this case you would have real deps on it. and the packages should be rebuilt.

The warnings on not to build on systems with proprietary video drivers installed have been made many times before this. If you would like to use proprietary video drivers on your build box you must make a "clean" chroot environment to build packages in.