VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:25:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc2 bugs/annoyances  (Read 22280 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2007, 09:20:30 pm »

GrannyGeek,
can you try adding modprobe ndiswrapper to the front of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3
and see if it will work after a reboot?

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2007, 11:35:47 am »

2>  It would be really nice to be able to select a system default language/locale other than English/US during install.  I keep thinking a Canadian distro would at least offer French/CA and French/FR as alternatives.

It certainly would be nice. I have had to get into the habbit of going to /etc/profile.d and editing lang.sh every time I do a fresh install (which has been fairly frequently with the 5.9 beta/rc stuff...). It took me a while to work out that if I didn't I'd never be able to get Abiword to use UK spelling.

I notice that Zenwalk has a 'locale' setting as part of its install. Looking at /etc/profile.d/lang.sh in the Zenwalk snapshot give me this:

Code:
export LANG=en_GB.utf8

which must have been set when I selected en_GB during install.

paul.
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2007, 02:52:35 pm »

Ok, I have gt something very screwy going on here.  I suppose the best way to describe it would be ghost-text - the text isn't properly displayed and instead appears splotchy and seethrough.  Quite disturbing, and I'm only able to amek this post by virtue of the fact that I can navigate the forums fairly well.  I'd like to add more information, but I can't seem to do so reliably.

This appears to be different from what GrannyGeek described - the parts of the text I can make out appear to be fully black, and the icons and taskbar also suffer from the same ghostliness.

EDIT:  Switching to vesa appears to solve the issue.  'course, now my mouse wheel isn't working, so I'm going to go digging.

EDIT2:  Also, nix the prune plz.

EDIT3:  Had to hit Quit 5 times in menu to get Quit dialog to come up.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:23:52 pm by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2007, 03:40:06 pm »

Installed on my laptop, a cheap Acer Aspire 3680.

First impression is good. It set up my display/Intel integrated graphics to 1280X800 and enabled hardware acceleration.

To my great surprise I found the integrated wifi working. Surprised because it stopped working a few months ago. Booted back to PCLinuxOS and it's still inoperative there. I even re-installed Vista on it to test, and it did not work under that either. Maybe the ath_pci module in VL is newer and somehow gets it working, who knows? I can't get wpa-psk working on it, but that is not a problem right now.

Sound shows up as hda-intel 82801g realtek ALC883. At first I got no sound. Trying to raise volume using the panel icon did not work, it would immediately drop back down to 0%. I enabled all the sliders in the mixer and found that raising the "Surround" volume brought the speakers to life. With that one maxed out, other apps (xine, xmms and mplayer) gained control over the volume via the PCM slider. There remains a problem with the panel mixer applet, though. On shutdown I see error: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0

My optical drive was not configured correctly. Changing reference in fstab from /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 fixed it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:03:51 pm by nightflier » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2007, 04:31:34 pm »

i own that same laptop. Good to know wireless works. I've never been able to get a good sound configuration on any other release but i hope this one gets it all worked out. How is suspend looking?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2007, 07:57:22 pm »

I never used suspend, Linux or Windows. Will tinker with it some.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2007, 06:00:04 am »

Does yours also have the broadcom wireless chip?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2007, 06:15:45 am »

I'm showing an Atheros AR5005G wireless chip.

- When it comes to suspend, what steps would you perform to set up and use it?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2007, 06:44:48 am »

- When it comes to suspend, what steps would you perform to set up and use it?

I still dunno... I'm used to just closing the lid Wink

I'm showing an Atheros AR5005G wireless chip.
Dang!...

That means I might still have to fight mine Sad

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2007, 06:57:26 am »

I still dunno... I'm used to just closing the lid Wink

Allrighty.. I tried that and yes, the lid will close  Cheesy 

Right before it goes shut I see the screen turn off. Opening lid turns it back on. With lid closed the cooling fan keeps running on low and hot air comes out the vents. I did enable acpi during install.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:35 am »

I had some fun adding KDE to RC2. Initially there were several problems. I got no window border/title bars, the Koffice apps wouldn't launch, but after some reboots and switching between XFCE and KDE things just started working.

One request: To be able to go to system:/media and mount my optical drive, I need HAL enabled.
In 5.8 it works without HAL (I prefer VL-Hot). Could it be so in 5.9 also?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:47:47 am by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2007, 08:44:25 am »

Another suggestion: How about backgrounding dhcpcd on startup? That could shave a few seconds off the boot time.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2007, 12:04:04 pm »

Allrighty.. I tried that and yes, the lid will close  Cheesy 

Aight!... I guess I should have seen that one coming Wink

my old Pseudo-1.7 install does turn the screen off when I close the lid... but like you said, the fan keeps working, hot air keeps coming out of the vents... and yes... the battery keeps draining.

I was kinda hoping it would go into suspend when I closed the lid, and resume when I press the power button after a suspend.

so I guess what we're looking for would be a suspend / resume procedure.

There have to be some commands that need to be ran... and I imagine you tie one of them to the lid switch and the other to the boot manager... but not sure how to do that

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »

GrannyGeek,
can you try adding modprobe ndiswrapper to the front of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3
and see if it will work after a reboot?

You are a genius! I did what you said and now when I boot, my wireless is up and running--no configuration necessary.

I'm downloading RC3 right now. We'll see how wireless goes with that. I'm expecting great things. Smiley I also hope my sound will work (again) with this release candidate.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2007, 06:13:06 pm »

I was kinda hoping it would go into suspend when I closed the lid, and resume when I press the power button after a suspend.

so I guess what we're looking for would be a suspend / resume procedure.

There have to be some commands that need to be ran... and I imagine you tie one of them to the lid switch and the other to the boot manager... but not sure how to do that
With TuxOnIce you will need to define where the suspend image is to be located (swap or file; if you use swap space you probably need a swap partition as large are your RAM) and use the hibernate script from here: http://www.tuxonice.net/downloads/
I'm don't know how to activate that with lid closure although it is probably possible.
HTH,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: