VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 03:32:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I copy terminal text to the forum board as Quotes  (Read 1628 times)
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« on: November 29, 2007, 04:59:47 pm »

Frequently I find I would like to show text from my Terminal window, to my questions and answers, on this forum board in a Quote box?

Can it be done?   If so, how?

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:27:05 pm »

Highlight the text in the terminal (or any window for that matter), navigate to the other window where you want the text and paste that text in with your middle mouse button. Cool eh? Another great advantage of the Unixes/Linux over MS Windows....

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 06:22:31 pm »

Frequently I find I would like to show text from my Terminal window, to my questions and answers, on this forum board in a Quote box?

Can it be done?   If so, how?

Yes, though I suspect you probably mean a code box rather than a quote box. Highlight the text with your mouse, then either use the middle button or right-click > paste. To get the text into a code box, use  (open square bracket)code(close square bracket) to start and (open square bracket)/code(close square bracket) to finish.

Grin That was interesting to enter, since any attempt to use the sequence results in text partially in a code box, but doesn't make any sense at all...

paul.
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 07:24:55 pm »

It Worked !!!!!

If this keeps you people will make a VL user out of me yet  Cheesy

Thanks to both of you, lagagnon and toothandnail.

I tried the easy way from lagagnon first and it worked slick.  Amazing how easy things are when you KNOW how to do it.  It just goes to point out that the only difference between a genesis and a plebeian is how much one knows.  Wink

thanks again people

reb

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

Maybe it's beyond the purpose of the OP, but it's always good to have more info than needed.
There's a console program named xclip (http://people.debian.org/~kims/xclip/), that allows you to automate the interface to the clipboard (both clipboards). 

for example:
> ifconfig | xclip

will copy the output to the clipboard, then, when you're on the forum textarea, just press shift+ins.

Congratulations, you've done a mouseless paste!

HTH

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 07:09:06 am »

Hey Kidd,

I like that one too.  It just proves there are more ways to Rome than just  crossing the Alps,  Wink

thanks much

reb

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: