VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 03:12:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ex slackgirl :)  (Read 2551 times)
Pegazeka

« on: December 07, 2007, 07:42:06 am »

Hello Smiley

I've been using slack for a loong time, but I've recently decided to try out this little guy. So far i like it very much.

I tried a lot of distros, but after a week at most, I just went back to slack. Guess i'm addicted on that "in control" feeling you only have with slack. So here I have that same feeling and I can finally get freaky without editing a ton of config files!   Grin

I'm off to the geeky parts of the forum to whine about the annoying sound effects and the only semi changeable cursors.

Cheers to all Smiley
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 08:23:58 am »

Yeay! I get to be the first to welcome you to VL  Grin

If you're comfortable with Slack... You will be very comfortable with us.  And we are a pretty friendly and helpful crowd.  There's other "girls" here too, but us guys have you outnumbered I'm afraid.  We'll mind our manners and refrain from our usual rude noises.
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 09:18:56 am »

We'll mind our manners and refrain from our usual rude noises.
Speak for yourself will ya, rude noises are what life's all about here Grin!

[edit 2]
With "here" I mean on my side of the interweb, not the forum.
[/edit 2]

[edit]
Oh, and welcome of course !
[/edit]
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:36:48 pm by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:26:50 am »

I've been using slack for a loong time, but I've recently decided to try out this little guy. So far i like it very much.

I tried a lot of distros, but after a week at most, I just went back to slack. Guess i'm addicted on that "in control" feeling you only have with slack. So here I have that same feeling and I can finally get freaky without editing a ton of config files!   Grin

I used Slackware for a year (long considering I've only used Linux for four years), then turned to Vector and didn't look back.

Welcome, Ćao and might I add your English is quite good.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pegazeka

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:26:25 am »

don't worry about the manners, feel free to make any noises. just make sure that atleast one window is open Cheesy

hanumizzle, i guess we know each other? cao Wink

i like vector very much so far, but i still have a few quirks to work out. for example firefox is so slow and bloated, torrents are sloooow (firewall turned off, everything properly set up), and the stupid cursor doesn't want to cooperate with me. in slack i didn't have these problems Sad

i'll try a few things, and if unsuccessful - i'll be sure to come by and whine in the appropriate forum Tongue

so far, i love vector and i LOVE the community Smiley
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 07:08:27 am »

hanumizzle, i guess we know each other? cao Wink

Oops, sorry for being so informal.

i like vector very much so far, but i still have a few quirks to work out. for example firefox is so slow and bloated

In Firefox, go to about:config in the address bar, find the key 'browser.cache.memory.enable' and set it to 'false'. Find the key 'browser.sessionhistory.max_viewers' and set it to 0. Those two changes should improve Firefox performance significantly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:32:42 am by hanumizzle » Logged

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 07:25:41 am »

Hi Pegazeka,

There is some issues reported with the firewall. You should check it by yourself in the slack way. Manually editing or chmoding /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall usually works, and is just one more text file edited  Tongue.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pegazeka

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:00:05 am »

tnx for the tips, i'll try them out.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 09:18:13 am »

In Firefox, go to about:config in the address bar, find the key 'browser.cache.memory.enable' and set it to 'false'. Find the key 'browser.sessionhistory.max_viewers' and set it to 0. Those two changes should improve Firefox performance significantly.

Are these tweaks helpful for SeaMonkey too? I find SeaMonkey frustratingly slow compared to the other options in VL (FireFox and Opera).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 09:42:43 am »

Are these tweaks helpful for SeaMonkey too? I find SeaMonkey frustratingly slow compared to the other options in VL (FireFox and Opera).

Probably, the base Gecko rendering engine is still there. Try it.

Pegazeka

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:42 am »

ff works much better now, tnx Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 09:52:10 am »

Are you sure you don't have some other problem causing general slowness? I find SeaMonkey very fast in VL. Maybe check CPU use, RAM availability and swap use with htop. What hardware is it running on?

EDIT: I'd suggest taking the discussions to another thread for clarity. I'd split this one, but it has become too intertwined already... Smiley
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:54:30 am by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: