VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 05:09:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey everyone !  (Read 4954 times)
florut

« on: November 28, 2007, 10:14:36 am »

Hi, It's a long time I try to get into Linux but I didn't find yet a distro that could match my needs. I'm used to "easy-to-use" (heavy and quite unstable) distros (Ubuntu based).

After many try and comparisons, VL seems to be what I've been looking for ! 5.9 looks relly amazing !
If only I could make work x server on 5.8.6 RC2 SOHO (i do not like XFCE at all).
And same thing for wireless : i found the how to but it's quite huge... Would'nt it be possible to get Knetworkmanager ?

Very good job !

(and very nice graphs : this way, i'll probably buy some products with VL logo !)

Proudly running VL 5.9 DLX GOLD 2.6.22.14 + KDE 3.8
...on my ASUS laptop with Pentium-M @1.8Ghz + ATI Mobility X700 + Intel Wireless 2200BG
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 11:10:50 am »

Welcome florut  Smiley
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 12:08:32 pm »

Hi florut and welcome to VL.
VL artwork has been heavily discussed lately.  It seems devs have done a good job after all (vl addicts are used to it Smiley

When you say X server, what do you exactly mean?  If there is any window manager, you MUST have x server already installed.  If you mean changing the wm, there should be some more in the repos (I think fluxbox is there, dunno for KDE).  Whenever I wanted to install a wm that's not in the repos, I have compiled it without major issues (I'm talking about really lightweight wm, not for KDE or gnome stuff)

Best regards from Spain.

florut

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 12:13:25 pm »

Hi Kidd,

thanks for your interest

When you say X server, what do you exactly mean?  If there is any window manager, you MUST have x server already installed.  If you mean changing the wm, there should be some more in the repos (I think fluxbox is there, dunno for KDE).  Whenever I wanted to install a wm that's not in the repos, I have compiled it without major issues (I'm talking about really lightweight wm, not for KDE or gnome stuff)
When I say X.org server, i do not mean changing the wm (KDE is just the one I want), i just mean to display any graphical thing : after installing VL SOHO (5.8F and 5.8.6 RC2) I've got a black screen after logging. I suppose xserver autoconfig has some problems with my hardware (vxconfig) or some bug.

...on my ASUS laptop with Pentium-M @1.8Ghz + ATI Mobility X700 + Intel Wireless 2200BG
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 12:50:29 pm »

Oh! Probably a graphics card/driver issue. You might want to try this:

Boot 'er up in TUI mode (Textual User Interface)
Login as root
enter: ls /etc/X11 | grep vesa
# If this command yields output (similar to like xorg.conf-vesa) shout "Joy!" and then proceed:
# Otherwise, post back 'cuz there is another way.
enter: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak
enter: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf
enter: telinit 4

The above makes X use the generic vesa driver. I dunno though, this worked perfectly on VL5.8, I hope it still does on 5.9

Tell us how this went and what kind of graphics card you have.
florut

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 01:35:48 pm »

Thanks for help !
Boot 'er up in TUI mode (Textual User Interface)
Login as root
enter: ls /etc/X11 | grep vesa
# If this command yields output (similar to like xorg.conf-vesa) shout "Joy!" and then proceed:
# Otherwise, post back 'cuz there is another way.
enter: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf-bak
enter: mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf
enter: telinit 4

The above makes X use the generic vesa driver.
I tried that and did not work at all  Embarrassed I forgot to shout "Joy" when I found the xorf.conf-vesa file. Is the problem here ?  Cheesy Wink

More seriously, you said :
I dunno though, this worked perfectly on VL5.8, I hope it still does on 5.9
There may be a little misunderstanding : i can make VL 5.9 RC2 working perfectly (I tried once). Here i'm talking about VL 5.8.6 SOHO RC2

I tried to reconfigure x.org with vxconf, with this method, also tried an old xorg.conf... Blank screen always...  Embarrassed

My graphic card :
- ATI Radeon Mobility X700
(- Monitor : AU Optronics B154EW01  [15.4" LCD])

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 02:15:14 pm »

5.8.6 is discontinued, IIRC it was an attempt to add Xorg 7.0 to plain 5.8.  If everything works fine with 5.9rcX, my advise is waiting for it to become stable and go with it. I don't know if it's already stable enough to install it as a normal box.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 03:08:45 pm »

Hi florut! You have some options. 1) Get VL 5.8 Soho Edition. It is a final release, surely you'll have a working x. Works great, it is well tested. It ships xorg 6.9. If for some reason you need a newer xorg, this one is not for you. 2) Get some Slackware 12 KDE packages and install them in 5.9. 3) Wait until 5.9 get his own kde ready.
Whatever you chose, I think you have just to drop 5.8.6.

HTH, Rodrigo

PS: Agree the vl logo is great, I love it.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
florut

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 08:35:29 am »

5.8.6 is discontinued, IIRC it was an attempt to add Xorg 7.0 to plain 5.8. 
Does that mean that there will not be a 5.8.6 stable version ?

1) Get VL 5.8 Soho Edition. It is a final release, surely you'll have a working x. Works great, it is well tested. It ships xorg 6.9. If for some reason you need a newer xorg, this one is not for you.
So here is my experience with SOHO edition :
I had already tested GOLD unsuccessfully a long time ago and thought that GOLD version was an ameliorated FINAL version ! So I finally found that the release date of Wednesday 12 September was for the year 2007 (and not 2006) !!  Undecided

Anyway, I installed 5.8 SOHO Final :
During setup process, at the X.org server auto config step, it is asked to choose between ATI and FGLRX drivers. If I choose ATI, the X server auto config step restarts from the beginning !! So i have to choose fglrx. Using fglrx, I restart my computer and everything goes fine until the login step : I can see the TUI login screen for about half a second, then the screen becomes blank and the computer freezes totally : impossible to go back to TUI console (I tried Ctrl+Alt+Bckspace, Alt+F1, Alt+F8, Ctrl+Alt+F1...)

Then I Installed 5.8.6 SOHO RC2 :
Same problem at the Xorg config process. I then restarted my computer for first use : after TUI login screen, I've got a blank screen BUT i can go back to TUI console to manually configure my xorg.conf. Then Xorg starts with KDE !!   Cheesy
BUT : impossible to get a wifi network connection   with vwifi Embarrassed   (unlike I did when I installed VL STD 5.9 RC2)

Using vwifi, i have to enter network SSID manually because nothing happens when I choose the automatic detection (strange because wifi-radar works when I load it manually).
Then i cannot connect to a WPA encrypted network.

With 5.9 STD RC2 :
Everything works fine and smooth.
But if I install KDE with slackware packages i suppose there are chances for KDE to be unstable ?

If everything works fine with 5.9rcX, my advise is waiting for it to become stable and go with it. I don't know if it's already stable enough to install it as a normal box.
If I can't get internet connection with 5.8.6 I think i'll do that...

Just a little remark : the text-mode installer is really fast and easy. Keep it like that !!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:49:16 am by florut » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

5.8.6 was discontinued because xorg 7.0 was not playing well with the rest of VL5.8, so it will never have a stable version.  I wouldn't even play with 5.8.6 anymore since it's dead and starting to stink Cheesy.  However, VL5.9/6.0 will be what 5.8.6 was aiming for, just a different way of getting there (i.e. slack12 instead of slack11); it's just taking some time to come to completion.

VL58Gold is the final "standard" version (i.e. xfce).  VL5.8SOHO did not carry the "Gold" name.

Regarding your VL5.8SOHO Final install: I had a similar problem when installing it on a system with an ati mobility card.  Basically, it just came down to that fglrx didn't work for me and neither did ati.  I finished the install with fglrx, booted to TUI (from LILO), and changed xorg.conf to use the open-source 'radeon' drivers instead which solved the problem.

I can't comment much on installing slackpacks on 5.9RC2 since I don't know, but there certainly is the possibility of instability.  I guess it comes down to trial and error.  If you've got the time, and have the spare box then giving it a go might be a fun adventure.

HTH!
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 10:32:34 am »

With 5.9 STD RC2 :
Everything works fine and smooth.
But if I install KDE with slackware packages i suppose there are chances for KDE to be unstable ?

Newtor said it, could be fun. Smiley Seriously, we can't tell you honestly. It is just not tested. 5.9 is too young. I am using the vl kde packages right now, and they need to be polished, AFAIK, some members tried the Slackware packages and they worked. I think you don't lose anything if you try. You could always just select xfce at the login prompt. That is if you already have 5.9 installed, if you have to start from scratch, well, perhaps you want to wait for the vl kde packages.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
florut

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 05:36:34 am »

Thanks very much guy for help and advice !

To conclude the story  Wink, I'm now using VL 5.9 STD RC2 and I'm finally getting used to XFCE which I discover and begin to like (fast, efficient and easy = great !  Cheesy) till comes out some VL KDE packages for 5.9.
I'll repeat myself, VL is really amazing ! I do not regret Ubuntu at all...

I still have two major problems :
- I can't install some KDE apps like amarok or KftpGrabber (neither from slackware 12 packages, and I can't compile them (getting errors), and I think I have all the dependencies). Is there any trick to run KDE apps from XFCE or should I wait for packages ??
(note that I activated the option "launch KDE services on startup" in XFCE settings)

-  Compiz not loading : i followed carefully the tuto on the wiki and when I run : compiz --replace (no menu shortcut were created  Huh) I've got that answer :
root:# compiz --replace
compiz (core) - Warn: SmcOpenConnection failed: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
compiz (core) - Fatal: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing
compiz (core) - Error: Failed to manage screen: 0
compiz (core) - Fatal: No manageable screens found on display :0.0

I'm using an ATI card with the latest fglrx proprietary drivers that I compiled "manually" with the ATI installer : they are supposed to work without XGL, no ?
I have a white blank screen when using ati free drivers.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:41:04 am by florut » Logged

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:04 am »

---snip---

I still have two major problems :
- I can't install some KDE apps like amarok or KftpGrabber (neither from slackware 12 packages, and I can't compile them (getting errors), and I think I have all the dependencies). Is there any trick to run KDE apps from XFCE or should I wait for packages ??
(note that I activated the option "launch KDE services on startup" in XFCE settings)

---snip---

I don't know how to address your Compiz issue, so I've snipped that out of my quote of your previous post. When you try to compile the KDE-based apps, what error messages are you getting? It would be helpful if you can post specific messages so that we can better help you.

As far as running KDE apps under XFCE, as long as you have kdelibs and kdebase, you should be good to go.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
florut

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 07:35:03 am »

When you try to compile the KDE-based apps, what error messages are you getting?

I did not know if I had to open a new topic, or continue posting here. Tell me !

running amarok installed from Slackware12 package (using gslapt) :
root:# amarokapp
amarokapp: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkhtml.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit17mouseReleaseEventEP11QMouseEvent

A make (after a configure) in KftpGrabber sources :
root:# make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0'
Making all in kftpgrabber
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber'
Making all in src
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src'
Making all in misc
make[4]: Entering directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src/misc'
Making all in interfaces
make[5]: Entering directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src/misc/interfaces'
/usr/lib/qt/bin/moc ./kftpbookmarkimportplugin.h -o kftpbookmarkimportplugin.moc
if /bin/sh ../../../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../../../.. -I../../../../kftpgrabber/src/ftp -I../../../../kftpgrabber/src/qsa -I/usr/lib/qt/include -I.   -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT  -D_REENTRANT  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -O2 -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION  -MT kftpbookmarkimportplugin.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/kftpbookmarkimportplugin.Tpo" -c -o kftpbookmarkimportplugin.lo kftpbookmarkimportplugin.cpp; \
        then mv -f ".deps/kftpbookmarkimportplugin.Tpo" ".deps/kftpbookmarkimportplugin.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/kftpbookmarkimportplugin.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
/bin/sh ../../../../libtool --silent --tag=CXX --mode=link g++  -Wno-long-long -Wundef -ansi -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=500 -D_BSD_SOURCE -Wcast-align -Wconversion -Wchar-subscripts -Wall -W -Wpointer-arith -O2 -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -Wformat-security -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wno-non-virtual-dtor -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -fno-common -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -DQT_NO_STL -DQT_NO_COMPAT -DQT_NO_TRANSLATION    -o libkftpinterfaces.la -rpath /usr/lib -L/usr/lib/qt/lib -L/usr/lib    -version-info 0:0:0 -no-undefined -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined kftpbookmarkimportplugin.lo -lqt-mt  -lz -lpng -lz -lm -lXext -lX11  -lSM -lICE -lpthread -lkdecore -lkdeui -lkparts -lnsl -lresolv
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/opt/kde/lib/libkdecore.la'
make[5]: *** [libkftpinterfaces.la] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src/misc/interfaces'
make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src/misc'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0/kftpgrabber'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/flo/Desktop/kftpgrabber-0.8.0'
make: *** [all] Error 2

JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 07:54:42 am »

Which version of VL are you using? Also, please open a terminal and post the output of the following command:

Code:
kde-config --prefix

Thanks,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: