VectorLinux
August 27, 2014, 10:55:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to convert from Microsoft over to Linux  (Read 2002 times)
TC

« on: November 28, 2007, 12:32:55 pm »

I have successfully installed Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Deluxe onto my computer, but I am having problems transferring my e-mails, contacts, favorites, and overall document such as access into Linux for proper viewing.  Is there anything I can do to enable me to have the same kind of access to these items as I had when using my Microsoft OS, thank  you. Huh
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 12:41:36 pm »

It all depends on what info do you want to migrate, and from which windows program to which linux program.
If you were using firefox and thunderbird, there will be no problem migrating.  Just a matter of 'import' and 'export'. Maybe you can even redirect the paths and use the same files whichever OS you're using.

Don't know for outlook/iexploder

carsten
Vectorite

I know why birds sing ...

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 01:05:49 pm »

Hy,
congratulations to this wise idea  Cheesy

1) Transfer of Mails
sorry, I do not know this in  detail and I think this is tricky in the best case as there are to many different mail clients around filing mails in different ways

2) Transfer of Contacs
Easy.
Just export it from your Windows PIM Application. Most have the option for some pseudo-standard but all can export it to csv (comma-separated file), which can be imported to your new application, i.e. Thunderbird

3) Transfer of Favorites
Easy
They can be exported (normally it is a file named bookmarks.html). With Firefox or Seamonkey you can open this file within the Bookmark-Manager and that is it

4) Overall document
Huh
With SOHO your file manager should by default open *.doc *.xls *.pps and other Office Files with the dependant of Linux, normally it will be Open Office. Please check which programs are installed in your system.
Within the file manager you can alway click with right-mouse on an file icon and you get an menu with an entry "open with"

5) Access
Sorry, with databases I am not so familiar. Open Office can basically manage databases, but if this is an sophisticates customized database you may have a problem. In the worst case you can always try to install Cross-Over from Codeweavers http://www.codeweavers.com/

You might also give Xandros a try as Linux Newbee as this is a Linux distro designed to give as much Windows Look-and-Feel as possible. http://www.ixsoft.de/software/products/XAOC0310CD-DE.html

(I know it is blasphemy to recommend something else than Vector, but for a starter it may be easier to use, so why scaring him away  Grin )

rgds
Carsten
(runnig Vector 5.8 for work, Xandros for the childs and Windows XP on my wifes machine [guess which colour is her hair  Cool ])
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:08:44 pm by carsten » Logged

Tam exacte ut oportet, non ut licet!
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:11:25 pm »

What email program are you using?

If you are using Access then using Wine and
install MS Office will work for you. Then is you are
using Outlook the same applies.

HTH

Bigpaws
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:08 pm »

I have successfully installed Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Deluxe onto my computer, but I am having problems transferring my e-mails, contacts, favorites, and overall document such as access into Linux for proper viewing.  Is there anything I can do to enable me to have the same kind of access to these items as I had when using my Microsoft OS, thank  you. Huh

It would help immensely if you mentioned which specific programs you need to import from.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
TC

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:37:19 am »

I mainly used Microsoft Office products such as: Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, Outlook, Visio and of course Internet Explorer.  I have found for the most part that Word, Excel, Power Point all crossover fine.  I have not tried Visio yet, Outlook will not let me copy and paste any of my email's into Linux and all of my database programs I have developed with Access is definitely a no go.  Also, someone mentioned I could find a Linux version of E-Sword Bible program known as BibleTime in the Linux Repository.  Please don't laugh and remember I am new to Linux which seams to be giving me much heartburn right now, but what is and where is and how do I find the Linux Repository to acquire the BibleTime Bible Program?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 08:48:48 am »

I...how do I find the Linux Repository to acquire the BibleTime Bible Program?
It is in our own repository. Navigate to the System Menu, the Gslapt Package Manager, search on the keyword bible, click on it and install it. More information about VL packages and software installs are in our documentation, which is pre-loaded on your computer (see the VL Documentation icon), then navigate to "VL Manuals", then to "Package System", or its also online here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 09:16:29 am »

I have found for the most part that Word, Excel, Power Point all crossover fine.
By using OpenOffice you mean?
  I have not tried Visio yet...
A reasonable replacement for Visio in the Linux world is called Dia and you can get a Slackware package that should work with VL at www.linuxpackages.net
Outlook will not let me copy and paste any of my email's into Linux
You first of all need to tell us what Linux email program you intend to use, because usually there are ways to do this.
and all of my database programs I have developed with Access is definitely a no go.
You may be right, but please read this information first:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MSA-Base_Faq

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 01:32:23 pm »

As for the email, I have used Thunderbird in the past. To transfer your emails and contacts from Windows to Linux what I've done is this:

1. Installed Thunderbird on Windows.
2. Import Outlook (or whatever) stuff into Thunderbird
3. Install Thunderbird on Linux
4. Copy Thunderbird files from Windows to Linux

That is what works for me.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: