VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 12:07:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: installation questions  (Read 1312 times)
itsgregman

« on: December 04, 2007, 11:53:39 am »

Hi all, I have a question. In an installation tutorial i found on your forums it said the swap partition had to be 256m and the root partition had to be between  1-2g . I have an existing linux system with 2g for swap, 20g for root, and 40g for home. The tutorial said the partitions had to be the specified sizes or the install would fail. Is that accurate ? does vectorlinux really require such small partitions or did it mean that they had to at least be the minimum. Im ready to try another distro and vector looks promising but i cant see using such small partitions. I know this is a silly question but that tutorial has me wondering. Can I just install over my other Linux system as that is what i would like to do? Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:03:08 pm by itsgregman » Logged

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one - Ben Franklin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:04:28 pm »

Your partition sizes will work.  Swap seems quite huge to me, but it will work.  Good luck with the install, and see ya soon when it's official  Wink
itsgregman

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 12:08:27 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply. Ill start the installation right away. Do you know why the vector doc page and the installer say the root max size is 2 gb?

A learned blockhead is a greater blockhead than an ignorant one - Ben Franklin
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:39:57 pm »

I have no idea.  Maybe someone else knows the answer.  I have never had a root size less than 5 gigs *shrug*  I do know that a typical install will take up about 2 gigs of HD.  Must be some confusion somewhere's  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: