VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 07:21:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloads  (Read 2177 times)
TC

« on: December 07, 2007, 06:36:21 pm »

Every time I download a program it seems to download as a binary file to my desktop which is getting extremely frustrating because I cannot figure out how to get these things loaded into my VL OS.  I would really like to download a program that I could just open, load and run with a click of the button.  I know that is probably impossible with Linux because of the type of program it seems to be.  So as I continue to learn at a snails pace on how to manipulate and work Linux I could use some help understanding what I need to do in order to run the programs I download.  The latest program I downloaded and would really like to run on my Vector Linux OS is StarOffice 8, could anyone please assist me in getting this program up and running at full capacity?  Thank  you, TC.  Huh
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 02:19:18 am »

Install software in Linux is a totally different experincence compare to windows. In Linux, either you can install software from some software repository using software management software like gslapt or slapt-get for VL, install it from ready make packages that build by other peoples and install it manually from source.

Using software management software
VL use gslapt or slapt-get to install from our VL repository. You can refer to this link for more info about gslapt or slapt-get http://www.vectorlinux.com/Docs/vl50/manuals/index.html. But remember, you must have an internet connection to use gslapt or slapt-get.

Install from ready make packages file
There is some website that offer free download of some ready make packages for Linux. VL is a slackware based OS, you can try at www.linuxpackages.net for any software that unavailable at our VL repository. You must download the compatible version of the packages to install. VL 58 is compatible to Slackware 12 (correct me if I am wrong).

Install from source
If the first and second is not avaialble for you, you have to install it from source. Download the source file from the offical website. You may need to refer to the actuall readme or FAQ for the installing procedure. Below is some tutorial on how to install software in Linux.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/linux-tutorials-howtos-reference-material/9358-howto-install-software-readme.htmlhttp://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/softinstall.html

If you really plan to install it from source, you can packages it specificly for VL and help contribute to our VL repository. For how to become a VL packager, pls refer http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1380.0.

Every time I download a program it seems to download as a binary file to my desktop which is getting extremely frustrating because I cannot figure out how to get these things loaded into my VL OS.  I would really like to download a program that I could just open, load and run with a click of the button.  I know that is probably impossible with Linux because of the type of program it seems to be.  So as I continue to learn at a snails pace on how to manipulate and work Linux I could use some help understanding what I need to do in order to run the programs I download.  The latest program I downloaded and would really like to run on my Vector Linux OS is StarOffice 8, could anyone please assist me in getting this program up and running at full capacity?  Thank  you, TC.  Huh

For the Star Office installatiob procedure, try this http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-7351/eobzp?a=view
There is OpenOffice available in our VL repository. Maybe you can try it out instead of Star Office.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:13:11 am by hata_ph » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 09:30:41 am »

VL 58 is compatible to Slackware 12 (correct me if I am wrong).
Update: VL58 is actually compatible to Slackware 11.  VL59/60 is compatible to Slackware 12.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 10:23:01 am »

Every time I download a program it seems to download as a binary file to my desktop which is getting extremely frustrating because I cannot figure out how to get these things loaded into my VL OS.

That depends on the form of the program you downloaded. When you get a tar.gz (sometimes .tgz) or tar.bz2 file, that's usually the program source and you'll have to compile that. Of course, you can also submit a package request here.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 12:23:16 am »

VL 58 is compatible to Slackware 12 (correct me if I am wrong).
Update: VL58 is actually compatible to Slackware 11.  VL59/60 is compatible to Slackware 12.

thanks for correcting me..... Kiss
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:30:13 am »

TC, by the sounds of what you're saying, you're trying to download programs you're familiar with, yes?  Programs that end in .exe and worked with Windows?

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
TC

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:28:28 am »

Not necessarily,  I am downloading programs that are suppose to be Linux compatable for example (Star Office Cool but they download as a binary file in my KWrite program.  Once down loaded I have no idea as to how to install these files so I can use them in my VL 5.8 OS.  I have tried to package these programs with the packagers that I have but am unable to move or copy them to any file locations because my computer says I have no write permissions.  So, all down loaded programs stay on my desktop because that is the only place I can put them right now.  I don't know if I was on the right track but my plan was to package a program place it in the package folder and open it with GSlapt.  TC
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 12:36:39 am »

By request, I split this topic and made a new thread:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4922.msg32763#msg32763

I'm sure there are others who would want to install Star Office and could benefit from the information presented.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: