VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 02:59:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Binary Programs  (Read 3887 times)
TC

« on: November 28, 2007, 04:04:17 pm »

I have downloaded a couple of programs that VL 5.8 recognize as binary programs such as AGV Anti-Virus and E-Sword Bible Program.  What do I need to do in order to run these or other programs like them on VL 5.8, thank you TC.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:28:48 pm »

Linux will not natively run MS Windows .exe files. But it can run about 75% of them using "Wine". You would need to install wine first - use the "gslapt" program in your menu for that (for help with understanding Linux packages and software installation read our VL Manuals (icon on your desktop) or go here : http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_slaptget_en.html .

Running wine does require that you read its documentation available here: http://www.winehq.org

You do not need anti-virus software under Linux, unless you run a server than will be serving MS Windows machines, so you can delete the AVG file.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 09:18:34 pm »

I have downloaded a couple of programs that VL 5.8 recognize as binary programs such as AGV Anti-Virus and E-Sword Bible Program.  What do I need to do in order to run these or other programs like them on VL 5.8, thank you TC.

As lagagon mentioned, AV is essentially unnecessary. An equivalent Bible study program, which is in the Vector Linux repository, is 'bibletime'. Hope you enjoy it.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:11:27 pm »

Linux will not natively run MS Windows .exe files. But it can run about 75% of them using "Wine".

Did you pull that percentage out of the air or is there actual evidence to support it? I haven't had anywhere near 75% success. Maybe that's true with games, but I'm not a gamer, don't have any Windows games, and have never tried to install a game under Wine. Of the programs I've tried, a few run perfectly, some run well enough to be usable, some run but are lacking major functions, and some (the ones I really wanted) wouldn't run at all.

I decided a QEMU virtual machine was the way to go. Everything runs there.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 04:30:42 pm »

I have installed AVG Anti-Virus on a 5.8 SOHO system for a client of mine. Grisoft has a native Linux installer for AVG. Try that if you feel it's really necessary. There really aren't any Linux viruses that exist. Of the ones that do, you have to hunt them down and work to make them do anything to your system, so there's really no need for an Anti-Virus program on Linux. As for a Bible program, Bible time was mentioned and it actually is just a fronted to Sword. So you essentially get the same thing as E-Sword but just on Linux.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 04:31:21 pm »

Did you pull that percentage out of the air or is there actual evidence to support it?

He may have drawn upon the information here: http://www.winehq.org/site/status_wine

Or your respective anecdotal accounts may simply differ because of which software you tried.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 04:49:09 pm »

An interesting chart (most of which is way beyond my understanding), but I didn't see any estimate of what percentage of Windows programs were likely to work under Wine. Did I miss it?

>> your respective anecdotal accounts may simply differ because of which software you tried. >>

I'm sure that's so. Wine works well with some Windows software and doesn't work at all with other programs. You don't know until you try.But from what I've read and heard and experienced and seen on compatibility charts, I think 75% *as a general estimate* is wildly optimistic. Unless what you want to run is in the golden group that runs without problems.

Nice to see you back!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:18:33 pm »

Did you pull that percentage out of the air or is there actual evidence to support it?
I have read in more than one place that 75% seems to be most people's experience, but you are right, it is probably much lower than that if you take into account that some Win progs under wine don't always work "exactly" as they should. But that figure is also my own experience, more or less, with the progs I have tried - but then again - I haven't tried too many, so it is by no means a scientific average; YMMV  Wink
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:25:11 pm by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:14:30 pm »

I'm sure that's so. Wine works well with some Windows software and doesn't work at all with other programs. You don't know until you try.But from what I've read and heard and experienced and seen on compatibility charts, I think 75% *as a general estimate* is wildly optimistic. Unless what you want to run is in the golden group that runs without problems.

notepad.exe and sol.exe run great in Wine. I think that's all that's needed.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 05:21:58 am »

Welcome back, Hanumizzle.

Wine helped me during the transition from Windows. I'd say that 75% was fairly close when it came to the working features of the win32 programs I used. Still use it occasionally. Once a year to do my taxes. A few times every year when my employer distributes training materials on CD, with an interactive presentation and a test.

Wine is a necessary tool for when you have to run win32 apps, but learning native Linux apps is better.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 05:01:11 pm »

Wine helped me during the transition from Windows. I'd say that 75% was fairly close when it came to the working features of the win32 programs I used. Still use it occasionally. Once a year to do my taxes. A few times every year when my employer distributes training materials on CD, with an interactive presentation and a test.

Well, yes ... I can virtually guarantee there will be no native tax software for Linux until one of the commercial vendors port something, when there's a Universe full of beautiful problems with rational answers to be solved.  Smiley

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 04:40:05 am »

Quote from: hanumizzle
Well, yes ... I can virtually guarantee there will be no native tax software for Linux until one of the commercial vendors port something, when there's a Universe full of beautiful problems with rational answers to be solved.  Smiley
Unless you live in the Netherlands. I've been compiling my electronic tax return software from source since taxation period 2005  Cheesy
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 05:34:17 am »

Unless you live in the Netherlands. I've been compiling my electronic tax return software from source since taxation period 2005
They have a source version as well? I've used the precompiled version from www.belastigdienst.nl . I think it's great that at least some parts of the government don't just assume everybody uses winDOS.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 07:30:24 am »

Wow, the government provides the tool for your taxes, and for more than one platform? We are so far from that, we should tell Maxima to bring something of that to here Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 07:49:08 am »

Quote from: hanumizzle
Unless you live in the Netherlands. I've been compiling my electronic tax return software from source since taxation period 2005  Cheesy

Well, maybe it's time to dig out my books on Dutch again and seriously reconsider the idea of moving to Sweden. It wouldn't be much of a challenge I guess. Vad synd att mitt andra språk kommer vara helt onyttigt!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: