VectorLinux
April 25, 2014, 12:17:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi and Best Wishes  (Read 1047 times)
kwjapp

« on: November 30, 2007, 09:32:20 pm »

I just like to say hi and to say I feel pleased with Vector SOHO. It was a good download and installed well on this rather old machine. It's a Pentium 11 with 256mb of SDRAM.  The only trouble was that during the install my SoundBlaster AWE64 card was not recognised but I got some help and fixed it in the Terminal using the command  of alsaconf
I have used some linux before. I tried SUSE but I need a bigger machine for that to go real well - even though I can run Microsoft XP pro and MS office 2003?? I thought that was strange as I didn't think SUSE was as big as WindowsXP.
Thanks and good luck all. All the best for the Xmas  Season to. Grin
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:07:13 pm »

hello kwjapp
Welcome to VL!
hope it fits yur needs

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:47:17 pm »

I just like to say hi and to say I feel pleased with Vector SOHO. It was a good download and installed well on this rather old machine. It's a Pentium 11 with 256mb of SDRAM.  The only trouble was that during the install my SoundBlaster AWE64 card was not recognised but I got some help and fixed it in the Terminal using the command  of alsaconf
I have used some linux before. I tried SUSE but I need a bigger machine for that to go real well - even though I can run Microsoft XP pro and MS office 2003?? I thought that was strange as I didn't think SUSE was as big as WindowsXP.
Thanks and good luck all. All the best for the Xmas  Season to. Grin

Frankly, Windows XP on a PII with 256 megs of RAM is painful. Maybe SuSE is more honest about what you need for a good experience.

Anyway, VL SOHO and VL Standard are designed to run without a lot of extra processes, and so computers that are marginal do a better job with VectorLinux than with big distros like SuSE, that tend to maximize what's running.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: