VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Hi and Best Wishes  (Read 1280 times)

kwjapp

Hi and Best Wishes
« on: November 30, 2007, 09:32:20 pm »

I just like to say hi and to say I feel pleased with Vector SOHO. It was a good download and installed well on this rather old machine. It's a Pentium 11 with 256mb of SDRAM.  The only trouble was that during the install my SoundBlaster AWE64 card was not recognised but I got some help and fixed it in the Terminal using the command  of alsaconf
I have used some linux before. I tried SUSE but I need a bigger machine for that to go real well - even though I can run Microsoft XP pro and MS office 2003?? I thought that was strange as I didn't think SUSE was as big as WindowsXP.
Thanks and good luck all. All the best for the Xmas  Season to. ;D

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Hi and Best Wishes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 10:07:13 pm »

hello kwjapp
Welcome to VL!
hope it fits yur needs

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Hi and Best Wishes
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 10:47:17 pm »

I just like to say hi and to say I feel pleased with Vector SOHO. It was a good download and installed well on this rather old machine. It's a Pentium 11 with 256mb of SDRAM.  The only trouble was that during the install my SoundBlaster AWE64 card was not recognised but I got some help and fixed it in the Terminal using the command  of alsaconf
I have used some linux before. I tried SUSE but I need a bigger machine for that to go real well - even though I can run Microsoft XP pro and MS office 2003?? I thought that was strange as I didn't think SUSE was as big as WindowsXP.
Thanks and good luck all. All the best for the Xmas  Season to. ;D

Frankly, Windows XP on a PII with 256 megs of RAM is painful. Maybe SuSE is more honest about what you need for a good experience.

Anyway, VL SOHO and VL Standard are designed to run without a lot of extra processes, and so computers that are marginal do a better job with VectorLinux than with big distros like SuSE, that tend to maximize what's running.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller