VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 12:09:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL Newbie  (Read 4370 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 01, 2007, 06:15:17 pm »

I have a few questions and perhaps some one here could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to install some software and I'm not sure how to go about this...  I'm use to the gnome / kde environments and know what there written in hence I know if the software will work.

What is xfce written in?
Can I add gnome / gtk+ files?
Is there complete bundles like rpm/debs for slackware/vector?

I would like to install

vlc
quod libet
picasa
asunder

I wasn't able to get the fglrx driver to work, so I'm using the generic ati, 3D works I haven't pushed it so I'm not sure if I can play games with this driver.  I'd like to install

Nexuiz
World of Padman
Battle for Wesnoth

and run emulators...

I've been using debian based o/s's for the last 6 months, and I got this box looking really good and operating fast, I'd just like some of the softwares I like as well.

If any one can point me to a good guide or give me some step by step, I'd be extremely appreciative.  I really like the feel of this o/s and I'd like to keep it.

Grin

Ask Yourself

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 06:55:18 pm »

I have a few questions and perhaps some one here could point me in the right direction. I'm trying to install some software and I'm not sure how to go about this...  I'm use to the gnome / kde environments and know what there written in hence I know if the software will work.

What version of VL are you using? If yours is 5.8, kde is in the repos.  Don't know for 5.9 (in RC stage)

slapt-get --install kdemeta
What is xfce written in?
Do you really want to mess with xfce code?Huh

xfce uses gtk widgets AFAIK, so you can keep your ~/.gtkrc-2.0  file from your previous distro
vectorlinux supports tgz (the slack style) and tlz files.

slapt-get and gslapt are our usual package managers.

vlc is in the repos.  Don't know the other 3

The forum is a great source of info.  Try to use the search button in the forums. VL documentation is very good IMHO ( http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/ )

Welcome to VL.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 06:56:25 pm »

In general, yes. Please tell us which version of vl you are running. VL has gnome packages -thanks to Easuter- for 5.8. You can use them to install gnome apps or gnome itself. Is relatively easy to install soft in VL, via the package manager or compiling, it provides many libs by default.

Yes, the VL pckage system uses .tlz files, and they can be installed easily with Gslapt, or slapt-get from the command line, an apt-like app. Be sure you enable the extra and patches repos, they are not enabled by default in 5.8
There is an icon in your desktop pointing to the vl documentation, you can find more info about the vl package system there.
You can use slackware packages too. They are .tgz files and you can find them in www.slacky.eu or in www.linuxpackages.net. Use slack 11 packages for vl 5.8 and SW 12 for vl 5.9

I would like to install

vlc

There is a vlc package in the extra repo for 5.8.

quod libet

Ok, there is no package for quod libet. You will have to find a slack package or install it by yourself. According to the quod lidbet site you need:

* Python (>= 2.4): http://www.python.org
    * PyGTK (>= 2.Cool: http://www.pygtk.org
    * PyGSt (>= 0.10.1): http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/
    * Mutagen (>= 1.9): http://www.sacredchao.net/quodlibet/wiki/Development/Mutagen

Python is covered, and PyGTK too. There is a Mutagen package in the extra repo for 5.8: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.8/extra/libs/mutagen-1.9-i586-1vl58.tlz
Finally, you can grab a gstreamer package at slacky.eu

I think Picassa ships it owns installer and is pretty easy to install. I don't know about the othe sftware, I am pretty sure hanumizzle have been played Battle for Wesnoth in VL a few times  Grin
There is some emulators in the extra repo too, packaged by blurrymind, IIRC.

HTH, Rodrigo

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:06:54 pm »

Picasa for Linux installs easily on VL 5.8 and 5.9. Just download the .bin file from http://picasa.google.com/linux/download.html and install it as root like this:
sh /tmp/picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.bin

(Change /tmp/picasa-2.2.2820-5.i386.bin to the path where you downloaded the picasa file.)

Once it's instaled, you start Picasa like this:
/opt/picasa/bin/picasa

--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 10:01:10 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 03:21:08 am »

Quote from: jduped
I wanted to add that a Vector/Slackware system can install RPM's to. This gives issues sometimes, that you can sometimes/most of the time?? resolve with the command <rpm2tgz>. This makes tgz's out of rpm's.
I don't think it works 100/100 but I have been able to install some very reluctant binaries that way Cheesy
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 08:24:13 am »

wow.

I don't think I've ever got this much attention this fast for any question. Awesome.
Kidd

I'm running VL 5.9 STD RC1

I'm not looking to mess with the code, I just want to make sure everything is compatible...in that KDE uses QT, Gnome uses GTK+ I know some things can be on either but some can't...I was just curious what is supported or predomenently used in Xfce, Wiki says GTK+ so I'm assuming things that work in gnome would work in xfce as long at the dependencies are met.

slapt-get --install kdemeta

/home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages: Permission denied
Please update permissions on /home/ftp/pub/veclinux/packages or run with appropriate privileges

I tried it with sudo, and sudo -i, I'll get a prompt for a password then it gives the following error "Sorry, user (username) is not allowed to execute '/bin/bash' as root on (machine name)"

Do I have to actually logout and login as root? sudo is present, it just doesn't seem to work...
rbistolfi

Thanks for the help with quod I like Audacious...I just have a crap load of music, so a bulk jukebox software makes it a lot easier to listen.
I haven't got it working but I'm just saying thanks for the help.

GrannyGeek

Tried it / Worked

Thank you Smiley

Freston

rpm2tgz is there a program like this for deb2tgz?  have you ever played with alien? like could I install alien, and rpm2tgz, alien takes the deb to rpm and vise versa (i believe) so I'd take a deb to rpm to tgz...would I get any bugs or inconsistencies doing this?

AGAIN.

Thank you so much Smiley
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:47:28 am by lagagnon » Logged

Ask Yourself

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 08:51:27 am »

jduped: as friendly moderator I have taken the liberty of editing your post to remove the 5 scrolling names you had in it. It was so annoying and eye-catching that it made it almost impossible to actually read your post. Realizing that you probably would like some responses I hope you don't mind...

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 09:20:22 am »

...so I'm assuming things that work in gnome would work in xfce as long at the dependencies are met.
Perhaps, but remember that a lot of Gnome software requires MANY Gnome libraries...
I tried it with sudo, and sudo -i, I'll get a prompt for a password then it gives the following error "Sorry, user (username) is not allowed to execute '/bin/bash' as root on (machine name)"
Do I have to actually logout and login as root?
The Slackware world, as well as many other Linux distros, unlike Ubuntu, do not often use sudo. Instead in a terminal just type "su", then the root password and you become root and can then do almost anything. Be careful! Do not run as root unless necessary...
I just have a crap load of music, so a bulk jukebox software makes it a lot easier to listen.
If you don't mind non-pretty terminal based software one of the fastest mp3 playing bits of software out there is called "mp3blaster". It is available from our repository (use "gslapt").
rpm2tgz is there a program like this for deb2tgz?
Not formally but someone at Zenwalk has written one that may work, but has not been tested here:
http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=Deb2tgz&redirect=no

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 09:28:48 am »

jduped,

I wanted to add that the menu entry for RC1 is broken.  When you click, it tries to run gslapt as regular user.

open a terminal, switch to root by typing su, then password.  Then just type gslapt.

Or you can open terminal.  Type vsuper gslapt.  You will get a password prompt, and then gslapt will open.

This is fixed in RC2.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 10:23:33 am »

Lagagnon

I was trying to make the names eye catching Tongue  just to respond to all the posts.  I am grateful for people taking the time to respond, and I feel saying thank you to individuals is more appropriate then just a bulk thank you. I won't make it distracting in future posts.  I've never actually ran ubuntu...I have distro hopped sticking in the debian downstreams for the most part, and for all of them to date sudo worked, but hey I'm up for change and broadening my experience. 

As for Gnome libraries I don't really want to bloat my system, I have tried a lot of the different players out there, and my favorite is a windows one...media monkey, 2nd to quod in that quod is great for playing but tagging my files was never easier then in media monkey.  I still run a copy on my gf's box , since she switched back to xp.  she was using kubuntu and got sick of things always glitching out.  Once I have a good handle on this o/s I might switch her back...she needs IE with all the proprietary plug-ins and IE4Linux didn't seem to fill that gap.  also printing was inconsistent I'm not sure if it was kubuntu or the new KDE it seems to be getting a little on the unstable side.

Also vector linux is the easiest setup of samba shares I've ever done.  I just have pyNeighborhood auto starting and bam click and done.  Never has it been that easy to mount the shares, I seen the vector specific tool I haven't tried it yet, I was just happy to not have to use smb4k, and using pyNeighborhood or linNeighborhood I usually had to exicute through terminal as root, it would allow you to just open and mount, very very happy with that.

su work Smiley

Thanks for the help and I don't mind you editing visual aspects of my posts  Grin

I'll look into that deb2tgz and see if I can get it working, since Asunder is available as a deb package, I really like it for ripping cd's  if you know of something better I'm up for trying it.  I prefer gui's though I am ok with a terminal.  It needs to be able to make mp3's and 320 VBR is my preferred storing method.

exeterdad

Thanks for the tip, I tried that, and it works Smiley

I guess my next question...I'm looking for a good cross-section of repo's for gslapt the ones I have checked off don't seem to bring in many diverse software packages there all for 5.9, can I use repo's for 5.8 with out fear of trashing my o/s? and do you or anyone else have some suggestions of there favorites?

I tried to find more software by simply selecting a greater number of sources this really only gave me duplication rather then a good selection of software.

And to any one else reading this, do any of you using pSX in 5.9? mine won't seem to load, I'm going to make sure I have all the libraries and try to figure on how to add them...

the requirements are
        OpenGL
   ALSA
   GTK
   GTKGLEXT
   libxml2

does anyone know if these are present and if they aren't where to find them?

Again to all who read this, Thank you Cheesy seriously great community support.

Ask Yourself

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:56 am »

Our VL5.9 repos are a bit skimpy right now as we haven't many packagers showing up lately.  But that will change as 5.9 matures.  Have you enabled the "testing" repo for VL5.9?  That will show many more packages that should work, but won't be moved to the regular repo intil they've been tested a bit.

You can enable it through gslapt. Edit > preferences > Sources tab
Then add: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/testing/ to the SOURCE= box at the bottom and click +Add.  Then click OK.  Gslapt will tell you the sources have changed and ask to update or something like that.  Let it.  Then you should see more selections.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 09:00:09 pm »

exterdad

Thanks for the info, I'm going through and tweaking this system out, getting super user going in the terminal has helped out quite a bit. I added the testing and got access to more software. I was trying to use ripperX and it doesn't pull the info off freedb for tagging, other then that it appears that it would work the same as asunder, It hangs then gives an error 22 when I click the cddb button, I checked the freedb site and used the link it suggested there on port 80 still same thing... being this is a release candidate can a newbie make suggestions? 

So far

I would like an updated flash player as part of the std build, I updated mine, but I'm sure thats something that could be put in with out too much issue, I haven't got any errors, or crashes as a result.

The ripperX issue when connecting to freedb

I love that wbar app, I was wondering if there was a gui for modifying it?  I did everything manually, just wondering if there's a gui as its a nice app.

Ask Yourself

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 04:19:12 am »

I don't have much experiance with wbar.  But typing wbar --help in a terminal will give you all the options you can launch wbar with.  wbar within fluxbox is actually launched with a script called vlbar (/usr/bin/vlbar
).  It basically launches wbar with options.  So that way it's launched with one word rather then a long string.  Check it out and play around with it.  Just back up the vlbar script just in case you need it again.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 08:59:19 pm »

exeterdad

cool, I figured out the command line for it by using that htop program and just seen what the default settings were, modded it now it opens on the bottom, and I customized the icons and programs.  I found an asunder package on LinuxPackages.net That made my day. 

I'm having issues I found some games and they seem to run really slugishly, I'm wondering should I start a new thread?

I'm looking to
Get the proprietary driver working, it has only worked correctly in openSUSE and Debian based o/s's I couldn't get it to work in gentoo... Most recently I had it working in Linux mint if installed by the video tool they took from ubuntu, but not through a terminal install.  And OpenSUSE has it out of box, just check a box and its done.

the driver I have is functional but not really game worthy.

my hardware is a

amd 3200
ati 9600 Pro
MB uses nvidia chipset

Any ideas?

would updating x.org help?  when I loaded this o/s I tried to use the propitiatory driver it black screened on me, and choose the generic driver.

Ask Yourself

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 10:31:21 pm »

updating xorg wont help.
did you reboot after the black screen and try the propitiatory driver?

run vxconf and setup the fglrx driver then reboot to try it.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: