Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc3 bugs/annoyances  (Read 114579 times)

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: VectorLinux5.9-rc3 bugs/annoyances
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2007, 05:29:19 pm »
Several minutes ago I had a recurrence of what has been an occasional problem since RC1.7 or so. I lost my wireless connection on the Turion suddenly--router was fine. I tried running VLwifi again and it appeared to set up the connection, but I couldn't get to any Web site and was unable to ping anything. From past experience I know that only a reboot will get the connection working again.

This time it took three cold boots before the wireless connection worked. After two cold boots that failed to reestablish wireless, I booted into Vista to make sure the problem wasn't with the hardware. It wasn't. Wireless came right up under Vista. So then I booted into VL.

I had to rerun VLwifi in order to establish the connection. Also, I noticed that /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3 was overwritten (probably because I ran VLwifi again) and the modprobe ndiswrapper that I added was gone. That's probably why I had to run VLwifi again on the third cold boot.

I don't know why this happens.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2007, 06:08:34 pm »
Good:  k3b now handles mp3 -> CD audio burns.  This didn't work in RC2.

Not so good:  On systems with two network cards (ethernet + atheros chipset wireless PCMCIA) the installer correctly recognizes both cards.  It also allows for starting WiFi on boot.  However, WiFi is not configured and doesn't autoconfigure either.  Some other Slack-based distros (i.e. Wolvix, AliXe) seem to do this just fine without manual configuration if an open WiFi hotspot is available.  Not a bug but a niggle that makes VL a little less user friendly.  Once configured WiFi works just fine.

-Cait
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

Pita

• Vectorian
« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2007, 06:20:00 pm »
I just found that in /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall iptable is stated as being at /sbin/iptables, whereas they are at  /usr/sbin/iptables as in VL-5.8.

Which one would be right?

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2007, 06:30:14 pm »
I just found that in /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall iptable is stated as being at /sbin/iptables, whereas they are at  /usr/sbin/iptables as in VL-5.8.

Which one would be right?
Code: [Select]
root:# which iptables
/usr/sbin/iptables

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2007, 06:41:20 pm »
VirtualBox does not seem to like rc3.x. The kernel module vboxdrv.ko fails to load. Didn't have this issue before. Will try to compile a different kernel...(2.6.22.12 and before worked okay and 2.6.23.1 worked).

TuxOnIce hibernate script 1.97 still not working but 1.96 does. Perhaps my source file is bad. Will check that out too.

Tried to xdelta rc3.1 to 3.2 and got another error: "invalid trailing magic number" whatever that means.

I really like the login manager graphics in rc3.1. The default icon set is nice but takes a bit to get used to (for me at least).

The change between rc3 to rc3.1 seemed to run much more smoothly on my laptop...not sure why but that's good.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2007, 08:14:07 pm »
RC3.1 and RC3.2?  I must have missed something here.  Where do these live?  I'm still testing on RC3.

-Cait
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

Masta

• Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2007, 09:53:25 pm »
My X stared also without any problems. Now i need to know: do i have to install additional Intel 945GM drivers for my integrated GMA950? Actually graphic works but... UT2004 demo on Windows was easy to play. On Linux i have 2-10FPS instad of 40++.
I'm not sure about this, but seems like maybe xorg.conf might need additional configuring. Check to see if you have dri enabled (as in no # in front of it). If unsure, just paste a copy of your xorg.conf, so someone can help you with this.

Another question: how to enable OSD volume up/down on my HP nx7300 laptop? I can easy rise and lower brightness (but without OSD info - ubuntu has it). And I CAN'T lower/rise volume with hardware button on my laptop. Mute works (also hardware button) but volume control no.
You might be interested in "hotkeys" http://penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/1/hotkeys.html
If you're not comfortable with compiling this yourself , there is a place on forum to request packages, I think KDE has something of it's own for multimedia keys and OSD, If you don't want to use KDE, then HotKeys is probably the better way.
Question bout HDD on battery: do i need to change smth on ACPI to avoid hdd problems while i work on battery?
battery should be supported just add it on the panel

How works speedstep on laptop? On windows i had NHC Notebook Hardware Control with 2 most important switches: max battery and max performance. Does Vector makes it automatically? I never used laptop with Linux thats why i ask.

HINTS?
Try vcpufreq (Menu/system/vcpufreq)

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2007, 11:46:20 pm »
RC3.1 and RC3.2?  I must have missed something here.  Where do these live?  I'm still testing on RC3.

-Cait
these are snapshot versions in my dir in the repo.
keep in mind when you try versions not announced some functionality may have regressed and sometimes they dont work at all  ;)

uelsk8s

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:06 am »
GrannyGeek, can you try updating the pilot-link package from slapt-get/gslapt again.
vec says he has them fixed now :)

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

BlueMage

• Vectorite
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2007, 05:38:51 am »
Have replicated the no-text problem - seems to occur when I set video to xorg, kill the xserver from runlevel 2 and jump back into it.  If I boot straight into GUI I get the ghost text described earlier.

However, I also find I can't run either fluxbox nor jwm.  Fluxbox returns an error of not being able to connect to the Xserver, jwm returns an error of not being able to open the display device.
Acer Laptop:  Vector 7.1 Std Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive! 12 years on!)
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)

tab0reqq

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2007, 06:05:17 am »
Masta, first of all - thank you so much :) Only You answered my questions :) I think paritialy im satisfied :)

My DRI:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
But maybe its becouse of poor overall OpenGL performance on GMA950? In Windows it uses DirectX.

Back to OSD stuff. I started to search for it on net. Still no results but i'll try. Worst thing is:
- I can mute sound by hp nx7300 mute button but I can't lower/rise volume with this nx7300 keys. On Ubuntu all worked out of box (osd also).
I alse tried other keyboard layouts without results.

Volume icon shows i have 0% volume but in fact its more than 50% :) -- bug ?

Do i need to run vcpufreq everytime i want to switch profile? I also checked in XFCE taskbar (CPU Frequency Monitor). First i used vcpufreq (all works - cpu is scaled). When i use this XFCE plugin i can chose between performance/power profiles. I can chose different frequency for each core but it does not affect my cpu.
Is it a bug? Or do i need to change smth?
Is it possible to add by default vcpufreq to be run as a normal user not root?

Is it possible to add startup resolution (in frame buffer as i think) 1280x800? 15.4" widescreen laptops are very popular and only standard 800x600,1024x768 and 1280x1024 doesnt fit there.

LOL ! I dont know how to hibernate on Vector. OMG... help?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 06:07:05 am by tab0reqq »
Software: VL 5.8 Gold | Kernel 2.6.19.2 | X.org 6.9 | Xfce 4.4

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2007, 08:38:13 am »
LOL ! I dont know how to hibernate on Vector. OMG... help?
TuxOnIce (formerly suspend2) is now patched into the VL default kernel. Thus you will need to define a place to hibernate to (either swap or a file). I have only used the swap space although setting up a file seems to be easy enough (I just don't want to to use more disk space for such a limited purpose.) Your defined file or swap needs to be at least the size of your installed RAM. Thus appending the boot parameter in lilo or grub (replace /dev/hda7 with your swap partition):
resume=swap:/dev/hda7will tell TOI where to hibernate to. Then download and run as root the hibernate script from www.tuxonice.net/downloads (I have had problems with 1.97 but it obviously works for many others as it has not yet been updated). There is a testing process in the documentation of that script. That's about it other than running as root
hibernate
HTH,
Mike
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143

Mihail121-tera

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2007, 04:04:59 pm »
Just installed, IT ROCKS!!! Really, a huge step forward. I found the distribution runs very smooth, all hardware is found and configured, wireless is fine and I even had luck installing my USB TV stick, with the drivers a friend of mine wrote (very few distributions run them correctly because of gliches in the USB drivers). Congratulations!

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »
Volume icon shows i have 0% volume but in fact its more than 50% :) -- bug ?

Right-click on the volume icon, select Properties, don't change anything, click on Close. The volume level should show after that. It sure seems like a bug, but an easily fixed one.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2007, 09:40:16 pm »
GrannyGeek, can you try updating the pilot-link package from slapt-get/gslapt again.
vec says he has them fixed now :)

I updated pilot-link through Gslapt and I was able to run pilot-install-user. I was able to sync using J-Pilot, but only when I ran it as root. Also, my /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 disappear whenever I run jpilot and I have to remake them before I can run jpilot again.

Starting jpilot as user I can't connect. There is this message in the terminal:
pi_bind error: /dev/ttyUSB1 Permission denied
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

If I try to do a hot sync again, I get this:
pi_bind error: /dev/ttyUSB1 No such file or directory
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

I have to remake/dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 as root and set the permissions for the ports to aw.
--GrannyGeek