VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:19:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc3 bugs/annoyances  (Read 53376 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 11:22:45 pm »

The Quit dialog resulting from Menu > Quit consistently fails to come up the first time. Has to be done twice or more to produce the dialog box. This behavior still recurring after rebooting 3 times, shutting down twice.
please upgrade the xfce4 package using slapt-get or gslapt.
It should fix this issue as long as the mixer problem some are having
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 11:39:18 pm »

Installed well.

Vasmcc could only make the Internet connection after rmmod tulip and modprobe dmfe was done. Guess I have to live with that.

As reported before me speaker on panel shows 0% volume until one puts another Wannabe Master instead of Vol. Starting xfce4-panel from a terminal I get:
 (xfce4-mixer-plugin:3906): CRITICAL **: vc_get_volume: assertion `i != -1' failed
May be that is why.

In firefox video streaming works well with embedded and external player.

xmms does not crash when doubled.

And for Uelsk you should see my icons in my fluxbox menu. Looks pretty and would be a plus for VL. I have them in VL-5.8. If I find time I might work on it for VL5.9 and give it to you. It is quite time consuming putting them in.

Seems VL59 will be just as great as VL58. After 10 years with Linux only, I think I can tell a good distro appart from one not that good. May be it is just as with wine, a matter of taste.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 11:56:17 pm »

Fantastic release. Thank you very much.

Issues (mostly minor):

1. Partition in VASM doesn't seem to do much. It opens up the help options for xdialog.

2. "Print Dialog" doesn't do anything here.

3. In fluxbox, the desktop image doesn't fit my (widescreen) monitor... it shows up centered, with black bars on each side.

4. When starting in xfce, during the little splash screen, the background is completely blue, although in 5.8 the background (before the desktop image shows up) is black. Not wanting to be picky, but I find it very ugly that it goes from kdm to black, to blue, to black again, and finally to the desktop background image.

5. Right-clicking on a tar.bz2 file shows the options of "extract here (tar.bz2)" and "extract here (.bz2)" but, in addition, two other options with different icons: "Extract here" (again) and "Extract to". These last two options do not work (it says "no suitable archive manager"). Also, this archive is not associated with Xarchiver for double-click opening.

6. The Volume applet is still a bit weird. When increasing the volume it goes back to 0% as before. But it seems to start working when properties are open and then closed. Note that I did not change any property. It seems that the properties weren't really "saved" before.

7. When I do a screen snapshot using the panel applet, the applet crashes and disappears from the panel immediately after saving the file.

8. Just spelling: In the mouse configuration, "How many button does your mouse have?" should read "buttons". In the window manager selection screen in VASM, it says "KDM selected for all user" should read "users".

And a few things that have been there forever (at least since 5.8 ), but aren't really that important:

9. When installing a tgz package by right-clicking, there seems to be no indication that the install is completed. I suppose that's the console output from slapt-get isn't it? Although we know we can just hit "close", a new user wouldn't see any "done" message.

10. In that KDM/XDM vasm screen it seems that scrolling the mouse wheel has the same effect as pressing "OK". This has accidentally happened to me quite a few times in 5.8. I'm not sure if it only happens in the Window Manager selection screen, or in other VASM screens as well.

11. The modem searching in the installer takes quite a bit and the installer just seems to hang if there is no modem present. Of course, users can just wait a bit, but it would be nice is it said something like "searching for modems".

So far, everything else is working perfectly.
Thanks a lot!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:59:26 pm by wcs » Logged
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 01:00:12 am »

I'm stumped. Mozilla FF mplayer plugin does not play the audio stream at CBC Radio. CBC provides a streaming URL that the listener can plug into a media player, but I have not figured how to enter a URL in Xine.
I can't find it either, but you can do it from the commandline just fine:
Code:
xine http://some_url

EDIT: Though MPlayer has the functionality to play a streaming URL ("Open > Play URL"), it does not work here. Sad
Something may be very wrong with our mplayer... I still can't play dvd's with it.

Other than that, seems fine so far. The new kde packages in the repo work a lot better Smiley.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Audiolis

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 09:56:05 am »

Very nice!!!
Suggestion: are you planning to add "audacity" to your repository?
I´m trying to install it from slackware repository... didn´t success yet...
Another spot: Installation trouble with X configuration. Seems to be a bug (?) in autoconf. Nothing that I can’t edit manually. HorizSync was set to 37-37 and VertRefresh to 75-75. Change it to H 37-50 and V 50-75, and everything works. Grin
See you there...
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 10:13:21 am »

Audiolis, Audacity and many other multimedia apps will be in the repo tonight Wink

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 10:27:47 am »

Quote from: nubcnubdo on December 03, 2007, 08:22:10 PM
I'm stumped. Mozilla FF mplayer plugin does not play the audio stream at CBC Radio. CBC provides a streaming URL that the listener can plug into a media player, but I have not figured how to enter a URL in Xine.

Quote from: The Headacher on December 04, 2007, 03:00:12 AM
I can't find it either, but you can do it from the commandline just fine.

If I execute "xine [streaming URL]" from CLI, then Terminal must continue running in order to listen to the audio stream. If I use the Run Program dialog to execute the command, then I have one less program running and occupying a space on Panel, namely Terminal.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:39:05 am by nubcnubdo » Logged
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 11:26:36 am »

A really quick glance at it in a VM, and I would recommend some splash tweaking. Overall liking the GUI though. Smiley

Pics to-be-posted sometime tonight.

XFCE Startup Splash Adjustment Recommendations
- invert font colors to a white text on black background
- lower Sans Bold font size from 10 to 9

Login Screen GUI Adjustment Recommendations
Counter-Clockwise from top center:

1. Remove Logo. Redundant with the bottom right-hand corner logo.
2. Make Left Aligned
3. Remove underlining (despite any shortcut symbolism)
4. Lower password input box field to match the space between the text and input box for username
5. Adjust semi-transparent layer
   - raised upwards a bit
   - extended to the right to fill the area where the logo was
   * the overall width may need to be shrunk
6. Adjust spacing and alignment of System, Session, and Enter buttons

I'll take more than just a superficial look sometime next week.

DrCR

Dual, independant WinXP installs via Grub hiding, VectorLinux 5.1.1SOHO, 5.8SOHO.
- - - - -
MacBook Pro Santa Rosa, 2.2GHz, 250GB Scorpio, Ceramique compound, Pending Appled-Tux Logo mod
MBRed Hard Drive with: OSX, WinXP, Vista (MSDN, pending), Sidux 2007-03
Pending Fusion "bootcamp" VMs pointing to native OS installs
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2007, 12:00:13 pm »

Dchp is still flaky on bootup for some reason. "Setting up basic network" text shows for quite a long time before boot continues.  Network unreachable unless I use Vasm and give it a nudge.  Setting static works fine.  Not a biggie, but for a newbie this could make or break their like of VL as Internet is priority one.  Smiley

As mentioned, volume indicator is at zero in Xfce panel.  Right click > properties > close and it magically works.

Still haven't ever been able to use Xfburn.  I don't get it.  It just will not load.  Unless I have another instance of it "trying" to load.  The second instance will load, but won't work as first instance make the optical devices "busy".  Running from terminal only reveals this one line, and then hangs until I get bored waiting.

This is really chapping my hide as I've spent a huge amount of time trying to nail down the cause as it seems I'm the only one mentioning this problem.  "Praise the K3b!"

I've installed 5 times now just to explore and see what I could find broken.  One thing I've never noticed...  I have a Nvidia card, I normally take all defaults when installing, and sometimes actually install the Nvidia driver rather than choosing the xorg nv driver (for packaging).  This time I decided to not accept the defaults, and skipped the kernel sources, the video drivers, and about half of the packages to speed things up a bit.

When it came to X11 stuff, I was going to install the nv driver.  But it appears that is not a option if you don't have vlnvidia installed.  I know it's just a matter of the xorg.conf file.  But a user shouldn't have to install the vlnvidia bundle of drivers and versions just so they can have autoconfigure of a already included xorg driver (nv module).  So seeing my shiny new installation through a fuzzy framebuffer, with a 800x600 res just wasn't going to work.  Just my opinion  Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2007, 01:01:07 pm »

I installed RC3 on two more computers today: Celeron laptop and Celeron desktop. Both are nearly flawless at this point. I haven't done much testing, but the wired network installed without a hitch, Internet access is fine, sound works, video is fine.

I had the sound icon reading zero like the others, but I tried Exerterdad's tip about properties, close and now I see the sound level.

Nothing else to report at this point. I'm hoping for time to install RC3 on the Athlon 64 desktop tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2007, 01:44:19 pm »

please upgrade the xfce4 package using slapt-get or gslapt.
It should fix this issue as long as the mixer problem some are having

Sorry, mixer problem reappeared after the upgrade. Opening Properties and closing them still fixes it...

paul
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2007, 01:46:54 pm »

If I execute "xine [streaming URL]" from CLI, then Terminal must continue running in order to listen to the audio stream. If I use the Run Program dialog to execute the command, then I have one less program running and occupying a space on Panel, namely Terminal.
Code:
xine [streaming URL] &
should prevent you from having to open another terminal.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 03:03:59 pm »

Is the stock X11 mouse pointer and friends intentional?
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 04:43:09 pm »

Same ghostly-text display problem with xorg as with RC2 for me, but not as bad - I can actually read most text, albeit with a bit of difficulty.  As such, I'm anticipating switching to vesa will solve this again.

Glad to see the prune gone - the new menu icon looks clean, stylish and professional.  Same goes for the splash screen - very nice design.

Will report further issues as they arrise.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 04:54:19 pm »

Is the stock X11 mouse pointer and friends intentional?
It's been that way for a long time that I know of, just hasn't been changed as it was in 5.8 Final/Gold. It can be changed by installing a mouse cursor theme you want, or go with the one already installed.
   Simply edit the index.theme and change the "theme name" for the x11.
(/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme) You'll need to create folder /default and themes go inside this.

P.S. I suspect it might be changed for Final as it was for 5.8. Also... As far as I know of, this isn't this way in the Deluxe. I think there's a pretty mouse cursor on that one.

Login Screen GUI Adjustment Recommendations
Counter-Clockwise from top center:

1. Remove Logo. Redundant with the bottom right-hand corner logo.
2. Make Left Aligned
3. Remove underlining (despite any shortcut symbolism)
4. Lower password input box field to match the space between the text and input box for username
5. Adjust semi-transparent layer
   - raised upwards a bit
   - extended to the right to fill the area where the logo was
   * the overall width may need to be shrunk
6. Adjust spacing and alignment of System, Session, and Enter buttons

I think that particular KDM theme isn't being changed anymore, just not enough time. That doesn't mean you can't modify it as you wish, Please, feel free to upload modified theme into contrib so that it may get into repository for the benefit of other users. Or any other theme for that matter.
Pardon the commercial plug, but I think the Deluxe version has a much better theme.

3. In fluxbox, the desktop image doesn't fit my (widescreen) monitor... it shows up centered, with black bars on each side.
The images were made for "standard resolutions". These STD rez.'s are pretty much for square monitors. I am unsure, at this time, if there will be wide screen images ready for/by Final.

4. When starting in xfce, during the little splash screen, the background is completely blue, although in 5.8 the background (before the desktop image shows up) is black. Not wanting to be picky, but I find it very ugly that it goes from kdm to black, to blue, to black again, and finally to the desktop background image.
I'm not sure what causes that. Try setting a background image for the login of KDM (see kdmrc) , see if that makes any difference.

Edit, corrected directory list for cursor icon.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:05:02 pm by Masta » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: