VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 03:07:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc3 bugs/annoyances  (Read 51010 times)
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 06:10:46 pm »

should prevent you from having to open another terminal.

The point is, there are two ways to run the command, from CLI and Run Program. From CLI you necessarily have the Terminal tagging along with Xine. If you try to close Terminal, Xine will also close. OTOH running the command from Run Program, there is no Terminal program tagging along, just the Xine visualization, which saves space on Panel.

Bottom line: This stream should play when user clicks on link at CBC. IMHO running streaming URL from CLI or Run Program isn't gonna fly for a final release of VL 5.9 Std. It's worth the effort to maintain VL's reputation of everything working out of the box.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 06:21:06 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2007, 07:18:31 pm »

I upgraded Xfce, and it still takes two (or more) tries to get the Quit dialog.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 07:25:21 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2007, 07:20:23 pm »

A really quick glance at it in a VM, and overall liking the GUI. I would like recommend some splash tweaking though so make Vector that little bit better. I'm really excited about this release and the presumably upcoming SOHO version. Here's to tweaking VL to perfection!  Smiley

XFCE Startup Splash Adjustment Recommendations: Before / After

- invert font colors to a white text on black background
- lower Sans Bold font size from 10 to 9

Login Screen GUI Adjustment Recommendations

Counter-Clockwise from top center:
1. Remove Logo. Redundant with the bottom right-hand corner logo.
2. Make Left Aligned
3. Remove underlining (despite any shortcut symbolism)
4. Lower password input box field to match the space between the text and input box for username
5. Adjust semi-transparent layer
   - raised upwards a bit
   - extended to the right to fill the area where the logo was
   * the overall width may need to be shrunk
6. Adjust spacing and alignment of System, Session, and Enter buttons
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 07:33:31 pm »

I can see what you're saying about the login screen tweaks.  I never noticed before.  But I'm sorry... I like the original splash better than your proposal.  Undecided 
But that's me  Smiley
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2007, 07:52:46 pm »

The original boot splash looks too blurryish to me with the shaddowing of the larger text, and I think the white backround just doesn't fit ... but that may be just me. Smiley

The login screen definitely needs help though, even it isn't the quickly thought of tweaks I mentioned (no offense to the original designer).

Edit: The username listing also seems to more commonly be listed on the left.
Example layout from a couple of kde-look hits.

Infinity for KDM
Bela KDM theme

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:07:33 pm by DrCR » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2007, 08:01:06 pm »

When I booted my Turion laptop today, the WPA wireless had to be reconfigured with VLwifi. There was no connection until I ran VLwifi. That's the same problem I had in RC2. I added modprobe ndiswrapper to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3, which fixed it in RC2. I haven't yet rebooted to see if the fix works in RC3.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2007, 08:10:39 pm »

The login screen definitely needs help though, even it isn't the quickly thought of tweaks I mentioned (no offense to the original designer).

I think so as well. It looks a bit too crowded to me, and less pleasant than the login screen in 5.8 . Maybe it's the big logo in the middle.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2007, 10:52:56 pm »

I have xine streaming a video. I put the url into a file, then playlist add the file and play. I stop and quit xine. Relaunch, it crashes, relaunch again it starts playing where I left the url.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2007, 11:15:03 pm »

Minor annoyance. I recycled users between RC2 and RC3. Didn't really expect things to have changed to much, so I elected not to reset things. However, my customized ~/.bashrc was overwritten. And I've also just discovered that my customization to Fluxbox has also been overwritten. Would be nice if it was left alone when I ask it to be...

paul.
hpearlman

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2007, 03:16:14 am »

Excellant.  Especially like that webar thing and I love VASMcc new look (noticed you did keep the old vasm too).  Great job.  Everything works well so far and man is it ever quick.  Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 08:55:56 am by hpearlman » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2007, 08:28:34 am »

Dumb question. I'm using HAL rather than Vl-hot. And I was wondering if there was any reason not to remove the extraneous directories from both /mnt and /media? Its a bit cluttered in there....

paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2007, 10:22:53 am »

I've installed RC3 on my Athlon desktop. RC3 is now on all four of my computers.

Installation on the Athlon was trouble free. I'm using the proprietary ATI driver--works fine, no problems. I do have some minor screen artifacts. I had those with RC1.7, too--I think they went away after a few uses, but so far I haven't had the opportunity to reboot. I can't test more right now.

On the Turion laptop, the wireless connection came up automatically at startup after I added modprobe ndiswrapper to /etc/rc.d/rc.inet3 and rebooted. That fix also worked in RC2. I'm wondering if this might be an issue for newbies who have similar drivers under ndiswrapper.

More later.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2007, 10:26:36 am »

I was wondering if there was any reason not to remove the extraneous directories from both /mnt and /media? Its a bit cluttered in there....

I don't mess with /media simply because I rarely mount anything on /media and it's off my radar. However, in /mnt I always remove directories I know I'll never have any use for, like /fd0 or /floppy (whatever it's called) and /win or /hd. I create my own directories for my Windows drives, such as /mnt/win-c, /mnt/win-d, etc., so I don't need /win.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2007, 10:39:42 pm »

After I had done the properties on speaker icon on panel it stays showing the volume after repeated reboots.

I still do not like that mc starts in black in Terminal and in invisible in xterm unless the -b flag is set. It has always been white on blue which I find nice compared to the ugly black. Why had that to be changed?

On booting, setting up network it shows the output of /sbin/ifconfig. Is there a need for that? Could somebody looking over ones shoulder catch the ip address?

I really like the Menu icon now on the panel.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2007, 02:55:56 am »

I don't mess with /media simply because I rarely mount anything on /media and it's off my radar. However, in /mnt I always remove directories I know I'll never have any use for, like /fd0 or /floppy (whatever it's called) and /win or /hd. I create my own directories for my Windows drives, such as /mnt/win-c, /mnt/win-d, etc., so I don't need /win.

I thought that would be pretty much the way things worked. I am a bit puzzled though - from reading, I thought that all removable media would now use /media as a mount point, and /mnt would only be for things like hard drive partitions. I notice however that optical media is still mounting on /mnt. Should any links to cdrom/dvd drives be removed from /etc/fstab (as is the case with Zenwalk), or should fstab be modified to use /media instead of /mnt for opticals?

HAL is a bit tidier than Vl-hot, but it does involve a bit more memory footprint, so I guess no fix is going to be universal.

paul.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: