VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:50:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux5.9-rc3 bugs/annoyances  (Read 49626 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2007, 09:44:00 pm »

GrannyGeek, can you try updating the pilot-link package from slapt-get/gslapt again.
vec says he has them fixed now Smiley

I updated pilot-link through Gslapt and I was able to run pilot-install-user. I was able to sync using J-Pilot, but only when I ran it as root. Also, my /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 disappear whenever I run jpilot and I have to remake them before I can run jpilot again.

Starting jpilot as user I can't connect. There is this message in the terminal:
pi_bind error: /dev/ttyUSB1 Permission denied
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

If I try to do a hot sync again, I get this:
pi_bind error: /dev/ttyUSB1 No such file or directory
Check your serial port and settings
Exiting with status SYNC_ERROR_BIND
Finished

I have to remake/dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 as root and set the permissions for the ports to aw.
--GrannyGeek

Can you post the output of lsusb with the device plugged in?
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2007, 09:46:58 pm »

My DRI:
Code:
Section "DRI"
Mode 0666
EndSection
But maybe its becouse of poor overall OpenGL performance on GMA950? In Windows it uses DirectX.
I'm not quite sure if it's a OpenGL vs Direct X issue, There are some thread throughout this forum about the Intel chipsets. Nvidia is my thing as far as the video goes. You can search the forums with the word Intel, and see if your issue with that might already be solved.
Back to OSD stuff. I started to search for it on net. Still no results but i'll try. Worst thing is:
- I can mute sound by hp nx7300 mute button but I can't lower/rise volume with this nx7300 keys. On Ubuntu all worked out of box (osd also).
I alse tried other keyboard layouts without results.
At the current , I don't think that VectorLinux has OSD. I found a couple of applications dealing with OSD, but I haven't had much time to package for the repository. Maybe someone else will have one sooner.
Volume icon shows i have 0% volume but in fact its more than 50% Smiley -- bug ?
GrannyGeek answered this very well. Try that suggestion and see if that works for you.

Do i need to run vcpufreq everytime i want to switch profile? I also checked in XFCE taskbar (CPU Frequency Monitor). First i used vcpufreq (all works - cpu is scaled). When i use this XFCE plugin i can chose between performance/power profiles. I can chose different frequency for each core but it does not affect my cpu.
Is it a bug? Or do i need to change smth?
Is it possible to add by default vcpufreq to be run as a normal user not root?
I Just vcpufreq. Works ok for me, so I am unsure about this one. But that CPU Information doesn't work for me either. Maybe it's a bug there. I looked and that thing is still in beta, so maybe that stuff needs to be ironed out yet. On this link http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-cpufreq-plugin you can see it's beta. Also it has place near bottom of page to report bugs, if you want.
you can su in terminal type password, and command vcpufreq. This will open it under normal user. It is root privilege only since it deals with the "system".

Is it possible to add startup resolution (in frame buffer as i think) 1280x800? 15.4" widescreen laptops are very popular and only standard 800x600,1024x768 and 1280x1024 doesnt fit there.

No. FB  currently only supports standard resolutions. Maybe the author(s) / maintainer(s) of that will expand it sometime in the future  Undecided

LOL ! I dont know how to hibernate on Vector. OMG... help?

I don't either  Grin , but I think that you'll need to do some tweaking to the Lilo. Sorry, I'm no help there.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:05:48 pm by Masta » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2007, 12:18:29 am »

However, I also find I can't run either fluxbox nor jwm.  Fluxbox returns an error of not being able to connect to the Xserver, jwm returns an error of not being able to open the display device.

If you start from the console try: startx /usr/bin/fluxbox or /jwm
or use xwmconfig to set your desktop.
rjdohnert

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2007, 08:41:43 am »

More annoyances:

xfmedia not present
slapt-get is a useless system, does not resolve dependencies, netpkg from Zenwalk is a much better system
Glsapt is annoying.  Will crash all of a sudden, will lock up with no explanation if it loses connection.
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2007, 10:45:33 am »

Volume icon shows i have 0% volume but in fact its more than 50% Smiley -- bug ?

Right-click on the volume icon, select Properties, don't change anything, click on Close. The volume level should show after that. It sure seems like a bug, but an easily fixed one.
--GrannyGeek

Thanks, mate. I think it's a glitch with the new XFCE but I'm too lazy to read the source now Smiley
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2007, 11:09:44 am »

Right-click on the volume icon, select Properties, don't change anything, click on Close. The volume level should show after that. It sure seems like a bug, but an easily fixed one.
--GrannyGeek

Thanks, mate. I think it's a glitch with the new XFCE but I'm too lazy to read the source now Smiley
It was actually a glitch in the way i built the first 4.4.2 package.
I switched the configure onptions on xfce-mixer. the new package should fix them .
the best way to test this would be upgrade the package and then create a new user and see if it works for them.
Mihail121-tera

« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2007, 12:35:35 pm »

--GrannyGeek

It was actually a glitch in the way i built the first 4.4.2 package.
I switched the configure onptions on xfce-mixer. the new package should fix them .
the best way to test this would be upgrade the package and then create a new user and see if it works for them.

A damn! I couldn't wait to dig down in them sources and spend 5 hours compiling Grin Will upgrade package tomorrow to test if it works.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2007, 01:29:25 pm »

slapt-get is a useless system, does not resolve dependencies, netpkg from Zenwalk is a much better system
That's a little harsh don't you think? I don't have any problems with slapt-get here. The dependancy thing is just fine as long as the package was built correctly - if so, it will get the dependancies for you and install them first. Can you tell us what package you were attempting to install with slapt-get, where it failed, and the errors you were getting please?
Glsapt is annoying.  Will crash all of a sudden, will lock up with no explanation if it loses connection.
I don't have that problem here either. Can you post to this thread the uncommented SOURCE lines of your /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc file, so we can see what servers you were using? Also, were you doing a "Mark All Upgrades, Execute" by any chance? Or if not, what package were you attempting to install when it hung?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2007, 05:41:13 pm »

I plugged my tv at the nvidia card. I enabled it through the nvidia-setting app and everything works, I can see movies on the tv Smiley, but some apps wont work anymore, including nvidia-settings. Blender, all the games, OO, are some of them. All I get is segmentation fault. I googled a while and seems to be a common problem but it is related to many causes. I am not using twinview, both screens are independent. Any clues?

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #129 on: December 10, 2007, 05:47:57 pm »

I plugged my tv at the nvidia card. I enabled it through the nvidia-setting app and everything works, I can see movies on the tv Smiley, but some apps wont work anymore, including nvidia-settings. Blender, all the games, OO, are some of them. All I get is segmentation fault. I googled a while and seems to be a common problem but it is related to many causes. I am not using twinview, both screens are independent. Any clues?

Wow, that is weird. No problem here.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2007, 07:38:17 pm »

Can you post the output of lsusb with the device plugged in?

Here it is:

root:# lsusb
Bus 1 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 
Bus 2 Device 2: ID 046d:c521 Logitech, Inc.
Bus 2 Device 1: ID 0000:0000 

That was with the Clie plugged in and turned on. It's the same with the Clie not plugged in:

I wanted to see what the output was if I tried to get some activity between the Clie and the computer, so I pressed the Hotsync button. Nothing happened, of course (J-Pilot wasn't running). The output from lsusb was the same as above and /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 disappeared after the attempt, as usual.

I then remade the ports, started jpilot as user, hit Hotsync, and did lsusb while the Clie was trying to connect to the computer. I got this:
Bus 2 Device 4: ID 054c:0066 Sony Corp. Clie PEG-N7x0C/PEG-T425 PalmOS PDA Serial

This is what I got from dmesg while I was attempting the connection:
usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 2-1: palm_os_4_probe - error -32 getting connection info
visor 2-1:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usb 2-1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1
usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 4
visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
visor 2-1:1.0: device disconnected

I then remade the ports and ran jpilot as root. As before, I successfully hotsynced. So it works as root but not as user and I don't understand why; the ports have 0666 permissions. Users have read, write, and execute permissions with /usr/bin/jpilot and its related files.

I hope this reveals something.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #131 on: December 10, 2007, 07:56:19 pm »

However, I also find I can't run either fluxbox nor jwm.  Fluxbox returns an error of not being able to connect to the Xserver, jwm returns an error of not being able to open the display device.

If you start from the console try: startx /usr/bin/fluxbox or /jwm
or use xwmconfig to set your desktop.

Will attempt, though this method doesn't seem too different to what I've tried already :/  Still, haven't tried teh xwmconfig yet, so that may make a difference.  Will report shortly.

Edit:  Hah, bloody brilliant!  Flux works a treat now (I've always been partial to fluxbox since I've been messing around with DSL - something about it just appeals to me).  Will now test jwm.

Edit2:  Huh, that's interesting ... xorg appears to work fine without the ghost text I've come to associate with xfce.  However, I now get black bars top'n'bottom, as though I were using a widescreen background but didn't stretch it.  Hang on ... no, still ghost text - as in, not there at all.  I was confused by the text appearing in the dock up the top.  Frustrating :/

Edit3:  oooh, that's a problem - vasm doesn't seem to change the window manager when set.  Need to call xwmconfig seperately for that to happen.

Edit4:  Exit on flux menu appears to cause machine to crash.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 08:10:59 pm by BlueMage » Logged

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #132 on: December 10, 2007, 08:16:27 pm »

Ok, this merits an entire new post.

What in the Nine Hells gives?  So I finish fiddling with the other WMs, for sake of completeness set it back to xorg in vasm, start xfce.

Imagine my surprise when all the text appears perfectly.  No ghostliness, no disappearing acts - it's all just ... perfectly normal.

I hate computers at times :/

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #133 on: December 10, 2007, 09:11:36 pm »

GrannyGeek,
from what I gather from google you need to blacklist the visor module, and upgrade this http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/80-libpisock.rules file
it goes into /etc/udev/rules.d
make sure to take out the othe XX-libpisock.rules file

let us know if it helps
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2007, 09:21:34 pm »

An update, I ran nvidia-xconfig to get vanilla xorg.conf for the nvidia card and all the apps work. I switched to twinview and works too, but I get maximized windows of 5000 pixels, which is annoying. So the problem is with two independent screens. This looks like an issue with the nvidia driver and not related with Vector at all, so I will stop posting about it here. I will keep looking for a solution and open another thread in the X forum if necessary.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: