VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 01:17:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX-5.9-RC3 RELEASED  (Read 13523 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 03, 2007, 09:37:34 am »

Thanks to everyones input so far, we are proud to release the RC3 of VectorLinux 5.9 standard. We are almost ready for final.

We have updated firefox, seamonkey and the xfce4 to their latest.  We decided with the upgrade to xfce4 that we better do a RC3 instead of going straight to final, just in case.
The developement team is very pleased with this release we think you will be too. Please continue to test this release and file all bugs that you find.

Download: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-RC3.iso
md5sum: 5e89afb52808095b9dc846145984ad8c  VL5.9-STD-RC3.iso
To report bugs, suggestions and general praise: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4859.msg
Have fun and keep those reports coming!!

Uelsk8s
gafran

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 06:12:32 am »

Excellent news! I will try rc3 as soon as possibile.Does bluetooth work with the new version?With the rc1 i couldn't get it working in any way,
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 07:11:55 am »

I was just thinking of the VL community and wondering how things were going. Looking forward to trying this out on my MacBookPro SantaRosa (latest gen) once exams are over.  Cheesy
mikkh

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 08:55:36 am »

Where do I "file all bugs" ?

Just installed it, and I'm pleased to see the ATI flgrx driver is now working properly
Or at least I was when first booting it and trying JVM window manager first. Chromium runs fast and smooth in that, but I logged off and started XFCE instead, it runs like a slug!

This 'box' has a P4 2.8, 1.25 GB RAM and a Radeon 9800 GT, so while it's not state-of-the-art, it's not exactly an old machine either.

I like the wbar, but where do I switch it off, without resorting to xkill like I did? And I'd like to choose where to place it too

The vasmcc looks great, well it did until it froze anyway.

It's a big improvement over RC2, but I've only been using it 15 minutes or so, and found too many bugs already

K3B is new for this release? I can't remember seeing it before anyway

Vector is still my favourite and preferred distro to boot, so keep up the good work chaps and hopefully the final release will fix what I've found so far

Off to explore some more

--
Michael
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:12 am »

Where do I "file all bugs" ?

In the thread posted in the release announcement:
http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4859.msg
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:29:45 am »

Great news downloading now.. will try tonight.

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
rang501

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 10:19:46 am »

can anyone make some screenshots?  Roll Eyes

Laptop: Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook C-1020 2GHz, 256MB RAM, 30GB hdd, 14", S3 graphics, Level1 WPC-0301 Wireless(Rt61 chip).
Trying to use latest version of Vectorlinux Smiley
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 11:10:59 am »

can anyone make some screenshots?  Roll Eyes

Hehe, no screenshots gives people some incentive for trying it. Give it a go and find out. While you're at it report some bugs! Screenshots will be available on the website once final comes out.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:58 am »

great job guys. I shall be testing it out myself. already downloaded and burn't the ISO. I am itching with anticipation. Now to find or make partition to use for this exercise.
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:56 am »

I'm pretty close to getting back my old pc. It still has vec pseudo on its hd, I can't wait to upgrade this baby and play around with Vasmcc and vpackager. Was getting homesick , plus there's lots of stuff i have to repackage and lots of new stuff to be packaged. I will also write a howto on how to get wacom tablets to work.

counting down the days =d
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:02:37 am by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 08:07:56 am »

so far, I am very impressed with VL 5.9. I like xfce more now as do I like kde as well. The desktop runs fast, apps do not crash. I love it. I have missed this distro. network detects and works automatically, you are given option of drivers to install from installation step, and choices of apps., flash, and multimedia all works by default.
The install step is much easier than I remembered and than many other distros..

My only recommends or minor complaints:
(1) Still cannot find certain eye-candy apps like superkaramba. - but hey you all added amarok {so glad}
(2) gnome desktop is not easily installable from the repo. I could not find it. Not that I really need it given what xfce and fluxbox gives to me. I do not know if I can use freerock gnome or dropline gnome?
(3) xarchiver is great and when a user tries to open a file should, they should be prompted to use either, this or something equivalent. - newbs do not know what xarchive is. I do and it worked great.
(4) I stupidly have an ati card, and it works fine, the proprietary driver should be moved to the last option below the opensource ati ones as it is not always useable by every PC. So power users know to go select it if they need it as compared to user hitting enter and crashing X upon start up.
(5) we were missing customized VL icewm package, e17, gnome - I can live without these though. It adds more options. Though kde and xfce are fine enough.

Conclusion: I think, I am back to VL fulltime again. It is feature rich as always, I have matured past simply eye-candy and it simply works and works great. Amarok and so many reqd or desired apps are installed by default. VL-hot mounter works impeccably, even better thanudev settings from most other distros I have tried like arch linux and previous VL 5.8. This is the easiest distro for me to work in. It is fast and functional..
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:52 am »

aaah, hey kazuya. Im glad youre around here. The new vector release will have most of your needs at the repository as soon as it turns gold. I will package superkaramba (if someone else doesnt do it before me) ,games,emulators,and some other multimedia stuff that i personally like .  Grin
Gnome is a big one and i hear hard to package, e17- not too hard to compile and package, but quite unstable last time i checked...so a good svn version must be picked first i guess..
What is really exciting for me is the comming release of kde 4, which SHOULD be made avaiable as soon as it reaches final version. Tongue

kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 11:11:36 am »

that is great news for me Blurymind. Yep, I still wander and play with VL and see what is new.. That is good news that we would be having those things come full release. At the moment, most apps are very bleeding edge and surprisingly very stable. I am trying to test out slacke17 on my VL RC install.. I am wondering how using one of those foreign apps would jeopardize my install. So far nothing seems to be able to break it. It is so robust. I shall definitly play with kde 4.0 when it gets out there.. Thanks again folks. Seems like a very promising release.
jasmc

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 02:14:51 pm »

Hi all,  would just like to say that I have installed the RC3 onto two laptops, a Dell c840 and now my main lappy a Dell d810, and it all went without a hitch.  I am new to Linux and as such am not sure about what to expect with bugs and if things do not work properly, compare to how they should.  But so far everything I have tried to do has been achieved, with some friendly help on the forum.  I did try the 5.8 soho on the dell d810 but that did not go so well with the video drivers.  I do not know what changed with the 5.9 rc3 but there was no issue at all with video drivers, which seemed a bit strange, as far as I could tell the drivers and process during install were exactly the same.  But I am uneducated at present.
   I do have a couple of questions about a few things but I will post those in the appropriate places.  Finally I would just like to say keep up the great work, I have finally found the Linux distro for me.  Grin

Cheers

Jason

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 02:55:49 pm »

that is great news for me Blurymind. Yep, I still wander and play with VL and see what is new.. That is good news that we would be having those things come full release. At the moment, most apps are very bleeding edge and surprisingly very stable. I am trying to test out slacke17 on my VL RC install.. I am wondering how using one of those foreign apps would jeopardize my install. So far nothing seems to be able to break it. It is so robust. I shall definitly play with kde 4.0 when it gets out there.. Thanks again folks. Seems like a very promising release.
well,not exactly at the release date,but i will get to that asap and start building.I still need to get back my machine. For the big packages (gnome,kde) you will have to wait for someone who is more professional to get them for the repo or find them at a slackware repository...but im sure you'll get them kicking on vector,now that it has most of the needed upgrades to keep up with the latest stuff..

I can try building kde,but it will take forever on my machine

also, gui/app packages are usually compatable if they are from a slackware12 repo, but do not install/upgrade system base stuff,such as kernel,glibc...they are usually locked in gslapt by default,so no wories 

If you need a package,there is a forum for that.  Wink
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:58:17 pm by blurymind » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: