VectorLinux
December 17, 2014, 09:15:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Noob seeks help wrt cdrom and desktop  (Read 796 times)
jasmc

« on: December 05, 2007, 02:49:35 am »

Hi everybody......I require some general help.  I have just install 5.9 standard rc3 and require some help. Firstly, if you put a cd into the drive should it show up under file manager.  I followed some advice in another forum answer and did this    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom    and found the files in /mnt/cdrom.   Shouldn't I be able to browse the cd without doing that command?   Also, this is probably a simple question with a easy fix but I am unable to figure it out,  how do you add icons to either the desktop or to the panel?   Thanking you in advance if you can help.

Cheers

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:04:02 am »

The answer to your first question depends on whether you selected Vl-hot or HAL during the install. If you selected Vl-hot, you need to mount the CD when a disk is inserted. The easiest way is to use the 'devices' icon on the panel - put the CD in, then open devices and click the /dev/cdrom -> /mnt/cdrom link.

If you selected HAL, the CD should automount and open Thunar when you insert a CD.

To add icons to the desktop, have a look at the Desktop directory under your home directory - properties for the icons are specified in xxx.desktop files, so you can create your own by creating suitable xx.desktop files.

To add icons to the panel, right click with the mouse cursor on it, then select Add New Item > Launcher and fill in the details to specify the program, name, icon, etc.

paul.
jasmc

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 08:23:39 pm »

Thanks for the reply Paul,  managed to work it out with your guidance.

Cheers

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: