VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:36:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello Vector Community  (Read 1266 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 03, 2007, 09:22:45 pm »

I just like to introduce myself,

I was an IT professional a few years back primarily dealing in the windows world (hence my discontent for it).  I'm currently working as an electrician and a closet geek.  I have been playing on computers since I was a child, and have worked on every version of microsoft products from Dos to vista.  After talking to co-workers when I was working in the IT side of things I was suggested to try out linux, I built a router first, really liked how that turned out. 

I currently have 5 pc's.

1.Older box running ipcop 
2.Raid 5 1TB data server (win2k3 till I can get a HW Raid card going)
3.slim client acting as a media box to the tv
4.gf's box (winxp)
5.my box (Vector)

Previously I stuck mostly in the Debian downstreams as they seemed to work the best on my system all though glitchy.

I like;

Linux Mint, Dream Linux, Sabayon, OpenSUSE, and PC-BSD

The difference I found between them and vector is quite simple.  Vector is better.  I have tried, ran, hacked, and have broken many of the distro's listed on distrowatch over the last year.  And to date this o/s combined with the community support has out shined any of my previous experiences.

Rock on  Grin

Newbie Vector Linux Enthusiast
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 11:49:03 pm by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 03:44:13 am »

Welcome! I have to admit I haven't tried a whole lot of Linux distro's before starting with VL, and the community has been great helping me out when I had trouble.

Everytime I tried something else I just wished it was more like VL Wink. I've broken VL quite a few times as well, but mostly I could fix it just fine. The trick of course is, to hack without causing havoc. It took me quite a bit of breaking to learn what's dangerous and what isn't though Grin.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:35:41 am »

I've seen your face around the board and now I get to officially welcome you!  Well official according to me that is.  Cheesy

I have found VL to fit me the best out of everything I've tried.  I like to mess with things, because I want my system to fit me.  VL is pretty much were I want it with little tweaking.  The other Linux's are often patched to the moon so it's tough making minor changes without breaking a half a dozen other things.  VL is pretty vanilla in comparison.  As a rule are only patched enough to get the packages to build, if they are patched at all.

You're right about the community.  They are a bunch of great people.  Never be afraid to ask questions no matter how trivial you might think it is.  I've never seen a person treated poorly.  No flames thrown. And any and all questions/solutions will be valuable for future readers.

We do have many more readers than writers here unfortunately.  But eventually some one will come along and be able to help you solve most any problem.  We all have different areas we seem to be strong in.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 05:49:23 am »

Welcome to the club.   Smiley
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:51:54 pm »

Thanks for the welcome Smiley

I can feel the love...of linux!

Cheesy