VectorLinux
September 18, 2014, 11:28:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: parallell port scanner driver installation  (Read 1236 times)
KodeBlue

« on: December 04, 2007, 02:28:54 pm »

Hello,

I have an old scanner connected to the printer (parallel) port, and have located a compatible driver and downloaded and unpackaged (extracted) it.  I am stuck at the compiling stage.  The files for the driver (which is written in C) include a Makefile, which may need some modification.  The readme file says to compile with the make command.  When I try to run the make command, however, I get the following message: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.  What target should I specify and how, and why can't it find the makefile when it is right there?

This driver is, I believe, a "backend".  The "frontend" program seemed to install okay, but I can't really say for sure.

The only dependency mentioned is libtiff, and I checked, and I found it in my /usr/lib/, and I did change the reference in the Makefile to what I believe is the correct version.  I have been working as root.

I am a newbie, and I'm far too brave (or foolish, take your pick).  I'm sure I don't know quite what I am doing, but I do know what I am trying to accomplish.  If I can't learn how to install applications that I really want that aren't likely to ever be made into VectorLinux packages, then I will always find myself booting to LoseDough's eXasPerating instead of Vector.  (Yes, I dual-boot.)  If I can get the hang of the tricky things, then I can make myself at home with Vector.

Too much ado about something.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Just ask for more information, whatever you think is relevant.  I am NOT using the SANE frontend, because of the particular scanner I have, which cost me $4.75 and an immeasurable amount of frustration.

Karen

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 02:39:36 pm »

Before you go through all of that.  Please re install the sane package from the repo.  Seems something went wrong on the iso and the backends were wiped out.  The package contains MANY extra backends that didn't normally ship with Sane.

This is for the VL5.8 releases.

HTH
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:43:01 am »

To add to exeterdad's post, be sure that the parallel port is enabled in VASM. Run vasm -> SUPER (provide root password) -> SERVICE -> HWSET -> Parallel -- make sure that parallel is selected, then reboot your computer. Sane should then be able to find your scanner.

HTH,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: