VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 08:49:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do All  (Read 1512 times)
jasmc

« on: December 05, 2007, 01:23:53 am »

Hello Vector Community, how are you all?  I would like to take this chance to introduce myself and say hello.  I am relatively new to Linux, in that I do not really know my way around how the system works etc.  I have tried 7 different distros before coming across Vector and feel that I have found the one for me.  I tried all the big names that were highly recommended and a couple of the smaller ones.  I must say that this one is very impressive.  I am running the latest xfce rc 3.  Everything is working with out any problems, although I intend to run this lappy using wireless, which I am yet to tackle.  Anywho, no doubt I will be involved in the forums, which I must add look and feel very friendly.  Well that's enough for now,  I will catch to you all later

Cheers

Jasmc   Wink

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:23:57 am »

Welcome to "our neck of the woods" jasmc!

You're gonna love it here.  Just keep a couple things in mind while using VL.  First, you're on a laptop.  Could be tricky even for the seasoned Linux geek.  Second, you're running a RC.  But at least it's a darn good one Wink  Doesn't seem that far off from going gold. Third, you're right about the community.  These guys/girls really do care about you, and want to help in any way possible.  And it's rare that a issue can't be resolved.  Never ever be afraid to ask anything here.  We don't flame people.  If it's a question you are stumped on...  chances are someone else in the future will be as well, and the information will be here for them to find.

Take care, and look'n forward to rubbing elbows with you elsewhere on the board.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:36:30 am »

Welcome!

I'd like to be a little more optimistic than exeterdad about the laptop. I bought a new one in August and had major struggles with wireless and sound. However, everything is working fine in RC3 and I got a lot of help from Uelsk8s and others. On two other laptops on which I installed VectorLinux (one going back to 1998), I had almost no problems--actually, no problems at all. So *expect* that your laptop will work fine and IF you run into issues, people will work with you to solve them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 10:57:17 am »

Thanks GrannyGeek.  I didn't mean to come acrossed so gloom and doom I promise.  You are right jasmc should be able to expect everything will work.  Smiley
jasmc

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 08:05:20 pm »

Thankyou for the warm welcomes.  I look forward to getting involved in the forums and hopefully one day being able to contribute more than questions.  I also look forward to any challenges that using VL on a laptop presents, as they say the best way to get to know how something works is to break it, which is something that I have found you can do with Linux and it remains quite forgiving.  I also have the same addition installed on a Toshiba TE2100 that I found lying around work and it all seems to be going well, although I do not get a chance to try networking or anything on it, but it does provide me with another avenue for learning during any free time I can wangle.  Again thankyou for the welcomes and I will read you around.

Cheers    Smiley

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 06:38:57 am »

best of luck and welcome aboard. you should enjoy it. I know I did. Using this distro was were my aptitude and appreciation for slackware first started. This is still one of my most feature rich OS to use.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: