VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:28:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: solved:hplip  (Read 7849 times)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« on: December 05, 2007, 07:30:34 am »

hi ,

in the near future i will configure a printer with vl 5.8 soho.hp psc 1100 all-in-one is its name
so the device has a  scanner included.

which would be the right way to install it.

1. configure the printer via cups-webinterface..
2.how can i add the scanner (is there a howto?)..imho it will perform only with hplip..i only found the previous package (hpijs)

are there any special steps to do in hplip to include the scanner?
any experiences so far with this device?

greets günter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 02:49:02 am by ghartl1 » Logged
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 04:10:23 am »

Hi Günter,

An all-in-one is actually several devices put together in a single housing. So the printer driver wont drive the scanner. This is also true for the native Windows driver. It's just a printerdriver and a scanner driver bundled together.
For the scanner you need SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy). Just run xsane from the Graphics menu and see where that takes you. You have a good chance that that will work, because I've found SANE to live up to it's name. I have a HP all-in-one myself and it works great in all respects.

On a related note, I found my printer unsupported by the HPLIP driver in the default install. I had to update through the repo.

So yeah, just configure your printer through localhost:631 in your browser, and run xsane to get your scanner to work.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 02:20:29 pm »

For the scanner you need SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy). Just run xsane from the Graphics menu and see where that takes you. You have a good chance that that will work, because I've found SANE to live up to it's name. I have a HP all-in-one myself and it works great in all respects.

I've always had to run sane-find-scanner first as root, then change the permissions on the device (/dev/sg0 in my case), and only then run xsane as user.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 02:49:39 pm »

Quote from: GrannyGeek
I've always had to run sane-find-scanner first as root, then change the permissions on the device (/dev/sg0 in my case), and only then run xsane as user.
--GrannyGeek
Yeah, I hear these things. I don't know why but I have never needed to chmod any of the /dev... No matter how many howto's and helpful people say that I should have. Are you in the scanner group?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 05:37:14 pm »

I don't know why but I have never needed to chmod any of the /dev... No matter how many howto's and helpful people say that I should have. Are you in the scanner group?

I am now. I'll try to put myself in the scanner group before I try to install the scanner the next time I install VL and see if that makes a difference. I don't think it will, though, because when I check /dev/sg0 for permissions, everything belongs to root and the scanner group has no permissions.

This is the only scanner I've installed in Linux. The cheapo Lexmark all-in-one that's attached by USB to one computer prints okay in Linux, but the scanner is not supported in Linux--no way, no how. I have a Canon MFP attached to USB on another computer and the scanner supposedly works with Linux after some finagling. I've never tried to install it in Linux, but will do so once 5.9 goes Final.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:48:41 am »

so..all done

just a feedback

yesterday i migrated my fathers box from xp to soho 5.8.
the box is 8 years old (1.8 ghz with 256 ram)..btw..sufficient power..kde runs smooth

first issue: the swap partition wasnt able to install as first partition(installprog hang up at "create swap-partition..")..i struggled nearly 1 hour with that.(used gparted..partitionimage...cfdisk to manipulate the hd..no avail)
so i created / as my first partition..second swap..and third home..and all went well.weird..however.

the rest was plain sailing...

cups:psc 1100 hp is my printer...first i struggled with the webinterface: localhost:631 didnt work at the start (so i tweaked the firewall..restarted cups..workded and used a hpijs ppd..works.scanner with kooka too(excellent)

only issue is the 600 dpi resolution..but i have read about another dpp that supports higher resolutions..maybe i will try later

in my opinion the hplip toolbox is not necessary to control the printer and scanner..anyway..i have it too installed.nice feature.

btw. is there a way to change the language from other apps (like gwenview) to german..the kde-languagepack only change the kde enviroment..

to put it in a nutshell..my father was really impressed with the new os.no doubleclick..no ie...calender in panel..a home directoy only for him..kmail does the job ok too..its all new to him and my father is no geek...is a retired locksmith
vl is running smooth on this old box..and i mean it."xp was so sluggish lately.." was my fathers well used comment.

so ..a little off the topic..thanks guys for this superb distri..
(meanwhile my 2 brothers and now my father use vl on a daily basis)

greets günter

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 04:10:16 am »

If you plug in another 256MB of RAM, your father has a better box than I have (1.5Ghz 512MB), and I'm very satisfied with performance as is. Can you imagine? An 8 year old machine still on par with the most modern systems? That is excellent!

I believe you'll need to change the language of each non-KDE application manually. Zum Beispiel Gwenview
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 05:36:34 am »

Good conversion günter Smiley

Did you edited the /etc/profile.d/lang.csh and /etc/profile.d/lang.sh?
If not, edit them and replace 'en_US' with 'de' in both of them. That should give you some more German.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:48:02 pm »

hi @freston..

thanks for the hint with gwenview..works :-)
any suggestions for xpdf and openoffice?

@rbistolfi
sorry neither of the 2 hints worked :-(

nevertheless thanks

greets günter
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:58:00 am »

Well, about Openoffice.org. I don't know what you want. It's easy to just install the latest German version of OOo, rather than installing a language pack as an add-on.

OOo comes as .rpm, which sometimes leads to trouble on a Slack based system such as Vector, although I never did install OOo on Vector... but I expect the same troublesas in Slackware. Truckloads of unmet dependencies. Quatsch. Install with the --nodeps flag, or do as I do and <rpm2tgz *rpm> all the needed files (you don't need every file in the download and then <installpkg *tgz> and you'll be fine.

If you choose to install only a language pack, then I wish you luck ;-) I couldn't find a language pack for the same version as is in the default Vector install. But if you feel lucky, you might try this one (<= Link to download)(Link to German OOo =>) Link

I don't know if xpdf has a localized version. No mention of it on the home page or ftp server, as far as I could see. But I'll confess that I did not look as thorough as I could have. Look here if you want to delve into this deeper. Happy hunting ;-)
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:14:52 am »

damn..
on the homepage www.de.openoffice is only a tar.gz file available...although i selected the rpm-file :-(((
maybe a bug..will try tomorrow..

anyway thanks for the links
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:47:48 pm »

Heheh... the .tar.gz is a compressed archive of quite a couple of rpm's and accompanying documentation.
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 03:43:32 am »

arghhh...

thanks for the hint :-)

greets günter
ghartl1
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 01:27:18 pm »

hi @freston

many thanks for the hint with open office
i transformed the rpms via rpm2tgz to tgz packages and installed it..worke like a charm

i did this for the first time(rpm2tg) and encountered no really obstacle

once more thanks..also in the name of my dad..he will really enjoy now his german office package

greets günter
ps: you mentioned bfore that you can install the rpm-package with "--nodeps flag"
whats the reason behind this syntax..no dependencies checking?  did it work too?

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 02:30:20 pm »

Quote from: ghartl1
once more thanks..also in the name of my dad..he will really enjoy now his german office package
Cheesy Sure!

Quote from: ghartl1
ps: you mentioned bfore that you can install the rpm-package with "--nodeps flag"
whats the reason behind this syntax..no dependencies checking?  did it work too?
Yeah. RPM complains about broken dependencies. For example /bin/sh doesn't exist as an executable but as a symlink to /bin/bash. Nothing to complain about. But without the --nodeps flag rpm doesn't install. There are many more broken dependencies, but none of them is fatal.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: