VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 04:49:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VasmCC Bug Report Thread & Introduction  (Read 17871 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 10:55:57 am »

We could, but the reason I made it resizable is because of the different desktop sizes. if I make it small enough to fit in a 640x480 then it'll look way too small to the people with big screens. With that said, I think it should be left resizable, that way if you have a large display, you can resize it to whatever you like, dont need to maximize it if you dont want to

I see. I dont need to maximize the window, but while resizing I lost the proportions and aligns. That's why I though shouldn't be resizable. I was not aware of the resolution problem, sorry.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 11:59:49 am »

and, IIRC, no scroll bar

My mistake, the scroll bar IS there. Sorry.
The icons display fine, it's just that they don't all fit in that space...

But it's not a big deal. I'm just a big fan of position and dimensions remembering...
That's why I used to love fluxbox, and probably the only thing I miss in xfce.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 01:36:00 pm »

i guess with a little more work i can make it remember size and position

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2008, 09:59:36 pm »

Annoyance:
I still have not tried this myself (working together with the entire distro that is), but i read a review where some of the settings listed on vasmCC cannot be ran under X.
I would suggest removing these from vasmCC if they will only lead the user to a dead-end screen.

That was my initial reaction, but as I thought about it more I decided it was wise to keep it there even though you can't run it from the GUI. The reason is that a new user may not even think of VASM until he/she tries it in the GUI. So if there's nothing in VASMCC, a new user may not realize the option is available. Maybe we need a more detailed description of what to do, such as "You cannot run Hardware Config while you're in the graphical desktop. You need to exit to a console and run VASM there."

Of course, this will bring the newbie face-to-face with the difficulty of getting out of X when you log in with run level 4 or 5. And how do you explain in a simple way how to start a text console? It's not hard, but it sure is wordy. That's one reason I use run level 2--I can't stand how that blasted X server never quits if you log out of the graphical desktop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »

that is true...
maybe a better explanation should do the trick

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2008, 10:57:32 pm »

I also think that the option should stay there regardless, because the user wouldn't know that the option exists.

That's one reason I use run level 2--I can't stand how that blasted X server never quits if you log out of the graphical desktop.

You can always write "init 2" in a console. Perhaps the text in VasmCC should say that. Or maybe VasmCC itself (and VASM) could launch init 2, by just asking for the root password. Of course, the problem here is that the user should be aware that whatever is in X is going to disappear for good. Or perhaps explain the Ctrl-Alt-F2 procedure... but yes, it is a bit complicated.
Or maybe a text in the window itself (above the icons, for example) that explains this, instead of the user having to click on it and getting a message....
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:47 pm »

Now that I think about it, I think when doing Ctrl-Alt-F2, it would still not launch from the console, because there is an instance of X running.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:37:55 pm »

we can script it to switch to init 2 and run from there.
but we would have to make an "are you sure" type warning for that as well
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2008, 07:15:38 am »

we can script it to switch to init 2 and run from there.
but we would have to make an "are you sure" type warning for that as well
A lot of people will prolly get scared if they see their graphics gone with a click though...
but I think the scripting should be good

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2008, 08:11:07 am »

A lot of people will prolly get scared if they see their graphics gone with a click though...

True... Maybe a single sentence together with the "Are you sure?" question, explaining that to get back to the graphical environment you just need to type startx or init 4.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2008, 12:49:13 pm »

i guess with a little more work i can make it remember size and position

M0E-lnx: remember this thread?: http://www.linuxbasic.net/index.php?topic=288

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2008, 01:14:08 pm »

yes i do. I will get this coded into vasmCC as soon as I get gambas installed
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 08:40:46 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

idflux

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 11:02:39 am »

Hello,

I'm running VL5.9 Lite RC2

There appears to be a bug here...

After GUI login to Fluxbox, I logout and get dropped to the command line, and have to logout again. In order to get the GUI login screen back I have to reboot.

rbistolfi (#vectorlinux) recommended login from another console [without rebooting] I was still
greeted with the command line login.

VLbSplash-switch is stuck on Vector Bluewave login.

"Login Failed" for Vector Bluewave is not centered between the password:field and
<session system enter> menu; it is overlaying on top of the menu.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »

Just noticed this bug in VASMCC, VL 6.0 Standard (it has been reported in one other thread but not responded to as far as I know):

vasmcc, click "Utilities" - this throws the error:

[-1] Unable to load image. Mfiles.?.0

EDIT: SOLVED:

I had removed vpackager as a not required item for this install on a friend's machine and that breaks the code in vasmCC as it needs to find vpackager.png to function properly....
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 11:58:10 am by lagagnon » Logged

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: