VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 03:27:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RECORDING PROBLEMS IN AUDACITY under VL  (Read 4618 times)
youngtomedison

« on: December 05, 2007, 11:48:54 am »

I've used Audacity to remaster analogue audiocassette recordings with Debian and OpenSuse. In both cases, I enabled software playthrough, so I could monitor what was going down.

In Audacity under Vector, I get MASSIVE skippage while monitoring during recording. I also get clicks in the final recording when playing it back.

I've tried changing settings both within Audacity, and within the sound settings in the Control Center (sound buffer to maximum size that the system wants to use)  and the Alsa mixer.

No luck. Problem still persists.

I'm using an M-Audio Delta 410 multi-channel sound card. It works just fine for playback. It worked fine for recording under Debian, OpenSuse and Windows 98SE.

My machine does have a built-in sound card but AFAIK, it has been disabled in the BIOS.

Is this a driver issue? How can I fix this?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:29:45 am by youngtomedison » Logged
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:16:52 pm »

Which version of Vector are you using? Are you using the new Multimedia Bonus Disc? Please gives us more details and we will help you resolve your problems.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
youngtomedison

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 07:21:05 am »

Which version of Vector are you using? Are you using the new Multimedia Bonus Disc? Please gives us more details and we will help you resolve your problems.

I'm using the latest ("Final") version of Vector's SOHO edition (how does one find the exact version number?). I downloaded it two weeks ago.

I never heard of a multimedia bonus disc.Where can I find it?

I should point out right now that I'm a recovering Windows user. Over the last year I've experimented with 3 flavors of Linux so far - Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Debian. Vector seems to be most stable and reliable of the lot, though obviously not without its issues.

Oh, my machine is a Dell Optiplex 260 Pentium IV with 1 GB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. My system/software partition is 15GB. My swap partition is is 2GB. My home partition takes up the remainder of the hard drive.

As I said before, I had no trouble recording with Audacity under Debian or the other distros.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:22:58 am by youngtomedison » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 07:35:24 am »

I'm using the latest ("Final") version of Vector's SOHO edition (how does one find the exact version number?). I downloaded it two weeks ago.

Code:
cat /etc/vector-version

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/old-pkgs/MultimediaBonusDisc-Alpha3.1.iso
It is for 5.9 though.

I should point out right now that I'm a recovering Windows user. Over the last year I've experimented with 3 flavors of Linux so far - Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Debian. Vector seems to be most stable and reliable of the lot, though obviously not without its issues.

VL is pretty different from those. But is easy to learn and you can find help here Wink

Oh, my machine is a Dell Optiplex 260 Pentium IV with 1 GB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive. My system/software partition is 15GB. My swap partition is is 2GB. My home partition takes up the remainder of the hard drive.

Thats is a very good machine for vl. I think you will not need that much of swap. Use gkrellm or something like that to monitor your swap. I think 512mb is a reasonable max.

As I said before, I had no trouble recording with Audacity under Debian or the other distros.

Try switching the sample rate at audacity preferences. You should have no problems with your hard. BTW, how is the m-audio? I have a maya44 but I am looking for another since it has no linux drivers.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18:38 am »

I'm a recovering Windows user.
Cheesy Cheesy
I like that!  It would make a nice signature line.
youngtomedison

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 10:49:10 am »

Code:
cat /etc/vector-version

Here's the version info:    Vector Linux 5.8 SOHO Final   May-15-2007

IOW, the Beta version of VL? I'm wary of using Beta software.

VL is pretty different from those. But is easy to learn and you can find help here Wink

And I thank you for your help so far.

Try switching the sample rate at audacity preferences. You should have no problems with your hard. BTW, how is the m-audio? I have a maya44 but I am looking for another since it has no linux drivers.

I have it set for CD audio (44.1 Khz, 16 bits). I don't want to go to 8-bits or 22,050.

The M-Audio card worked swimmingly with the other Linux distros and with Windows 98SE and XP. Funny, but I seemed to have latency problems when running it under Windows (forget whether it was 98 or XP). Those problems went away when I used it under Linux.

The plot has thickened. I tried setting Audacity to use the OSS drivers rather than the ALSA drivers particular to my sound card, as someone suggested in another thread. It played back existing sound files just fine, but when I hit the "record" button, to make a new recording, Audacity froze up. Apparently it ONLY works for recording with the ALSA driver, but it does not work properly. Is there a way to set up the OSS drivers? Unfortunately, I do not know what command lines to use.

I am at my wits' end. I have never had this much trouble with an audio app, even with Windoze 98.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 02:29:16 pm »

I have it set for CD audio (44.1 Khz, 16 bits). I don't want to go to 8-bits or 22,050.

That sample is ok, I just remembered some thread where was mentioned the default settings of Audacity produces poor quality audio.

The M-Audio card worked swimmingly with the other Linux distros and with Windows 98SE and XP. Funny, but I seemed to have latency problems when running it under Windows (forget whether it was 98 or XP). Those problems went away when I used it under Linux.

Looks like a nice option, and they are relatively cheap. I don't get good realtime audio in windows if I am not using ASIO drivers. And they are pretty unstable. I have to reconfig the card and reset very often. The linux support for realtime is much better. Remember Win is not the most used OS in pro multimedia editing.

The plot has thickened. I tried setting Audacity to use the OSS drivers rather than the ALSA drivers particular to my sound card, as someone suggested in another thread. It played back existing sound files just fine, but when I hit the "record" button, to make a new recording, Audacity froze up. Apparently it ONLY works for recording with the ALSA driver, but it does not work properly. Is there a way to set up the OSS drivers? Unfortunately, I do not know what command lines to use.

Well, I have not much experience capturing with linux, I will when I get a compatible audio card Wink. I think the ALSA driver is lot better. I would stay with alsa if possible. Try running audacity at the command prompt, start to record and see if you can catch some info from the command line while recording.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."

--
Jumalauta!!
youngtomedison

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 07:03:28 pm »

MAC-OS seems to be the OS of choice for many audio producers and content creators. Though Windows apps like Adobe Audition and Sound Forge do have solid user bases. Radio stations use them all the time! (I understand Clear Channel is fond of Audition).

As for running ALSA from the command line and capturing information as I try to record, how is that done?

BTW, I'm playing a CD using KsCD, and I'm noticing a bit of skippage (I'm not using the standard analogue connection from the sound card, I'm going through my DVD-ROM drive's digital connection, the one I'd use for ripping). I've selected the ARTS interface rather than the ALSA. I wonder if the skippage is because I have Firefox and KTorrent open and running? Seems like that shouldn't happen.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 08:06:59 pm »

I mean audacity. Open a terminal, type audacity. The gui will launch as usual and you will get some output through the terminal. Try recording and read the messages from the terminal.
I think your hard is enough to record something at that sample rate and keep one instance of firefox running. But you could try some things in that way. You could use htop or gkrellm to monitor your resources while recording.

Indeed, the Sony bundle is being used a lot lately. I still think the realtime abilities of mac os (which is based on bsd) and linux is better. I had many problems with earlier releases of SoundForge, caused by a bad .NET runtime package. The sound database is very resource hungry, imo. I have used Nuendo with some success and I prefer it over the Sony apps, even when video is involved. The issues with the asio drivers are nuendo independent, I think.

--
Jumalauta!!
youngtomedison

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 05:10:42 pm »

I mean audacity. Open a terminal, type audacity. The gui will launch as usual and you will get some output through the terminal. Try recording and read the messages from the terminal.
I think your hard is enough to record something at that sample rate and keep one instance of firefox running. But you could try some things in that way. You could use htop or gkrellm to monitor your resources while recording.

I just did what you described. I opened Audacity through the terminal (using Konsole). Audacity ran as per usual, but when I hit "record" in Audacity, no output from that program was seen in the terminal window.

What are htop and gkrelim and how would I use them? (I know there are "man" files, but it would really help if you could "hold my hand" at this stage).

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 07:47:37 pm »

htop and gkrellm are tools for monitoring your system resources. htop is best for this. You can look to all processes running in your computer and what kind and amount of resources are they taking from the system. You can order by CPU usage, ram, etc. Take a look and see if there is some offending program hogging your resources. You can launch them either from the menu, under 'System', or from the console as well typing htop.

I plugged a cheap mic in my onboard soundcard. I can record as well as the mic can in audacity, but I get similar problems as you in ardour2. I suspect ardour is recording at a sample rate not supported by my soundcard. Perhaps for some reason the m-audio is not working at the top of its possibilities. I think the card could be not correctly configured so it cant work as good as it can, like missing sample rates or full duplex capabilities. I'll see what can I find.

--
Jumalauta!!
youngtomedison

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:05:57 am »

htop and gkrellm are tools for monitoring your system resources. htop is best for this. You can look to all processes running in your computer and what kind and amount of resources are they taking from the system. You can order by CPU usage, ram, etc. Take a look and see if there is some offending program hogging your resources. You can launch them either from the menu, under 'System', or from the console as well typing htop.

I just ran HTOP and took a screen shot of what I got (copy/paste doesn't work with htop).

I plugged a cheap mic in my onboard soundcard. I can record as well as the mic can in audacity, but I get similar problems as you in ardour2. I suspect ardour is recording at a sample rate not supported by my soundcard. Perhaps for some reason the m-audio is not working at the top of its possibilities. I think the card could be not correctly configured so it cant work as good as it can, like missing sample rates or full duplex capabilities. I'll see what can I find.

It does smell like a driver issue. Skippage does occur in other programs besides Audacity, only nowhere near as badly as in that application. What can I do about it? I'm just not a hex-editor kind of guy (and I don't care to become one).

I ran the following commands while troubleshooting another issue (USB external drive only shows up in root but not in my regular user account). I wonder if these would help solve the problem we're dealing with here?

doctor-b:$ dmesg | grep hd
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
hda: ST380013A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: SONY CD-RW CRX320E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: max request size: 512KiB
hda: 156301488 sectors (80026 MB) w/8192KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63, UDMA(100)
hda: cache flushes supported
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
hdc: ATAPI 52X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
hdd: ATAPI 40X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2000kB Cache, UDMA(66)
EXT3 FS on hda2, internal journal
Adding 1951856k swap on /dev/hda1.  Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1951856k
EXT3 FS on hda3, internal journal
e1000: eth0: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
SCSI device sda: 488397168 512-byte hdwr sectors (250059 MB)
vector:/~
doctor-b:$     

The "SCSI device" is my external hard drive.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:50:47 am by youngtomedison » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 07:58:15 am »

try turning off ifplugd.
open a terminal login as root then type "service ifplugd stop"
if that makes a difference you will need to remove ifplugd from starting and make your inet start at boot.

let us know
youngtomedison

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 06:03:40 pm »

try turning off ifplugd.
open a terminal login as root then type "service ifplugd stop"
if that makes a difference you will need to remove ifplugd from starting and make your inet start at boot.

let us know

Tell me, what has a program meant for configuring an Ethernet card (ifplugd) got to do with the problems I'm experiencing with Audacity? If I shut it off, won't it kill my ability to connect to the Web?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 06:29:22 pm »

ifplugd is known to cause "Skippage" when its misconfigured.
If you turn it off and the problem stops we can show you how to configure it, or make it so you dont need ifplugd to start your network.
if it doesnt solve the problem then it will only have been a few moments of lost time.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: