VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 03:17:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble setting up X.  (Read 956 times)
GTrax

« on: December 09, 2007, 06:42:48 am »

For me, setting up the video resolution has been a hazard area for most distros - and I try them all.

I never tried a Slack-based system before. Vector has promise, but obstinately, and with a will, refuses to believe that I have a 1600 x 1200 monitor capable of running all lesser modes, and a graphics card capable, and a /etc/X11/xorg.conf that is apparently correct. Yes - we do try all ways available to set up X, and the number of xorg.conf attempts by various methods is now up to generation 4.

Starting the X server with 'startx' is a frustrating series of reboots if the screen hangs. There are various X-config tools, but any that try to replace the entire xorg.conf (such as an adventure with KDE's system -> NVIDIA X Server Settings) can come unstuck. I tried it, and ended up needing to use a liveCD to rename the xorg.conf.backup, so as to get back to any screen at all.

The KDE -> Control Center -> Peripherals -> Display setup window is not the place! Reboots do not seem to update the KDE idea of the available resolutions. No matter what I do, there is something in a script somewhere that will have it the way it was before we started.

Maybe I am just not very good at this, and from the documentation, I can appreciate how there are a million ways of making the muddle worse, but I just want to use the machine to display and work on the digital art, not spend ages reading FAQs that lead to boot time lockups. Sad
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 06:53:10 am »

I split off your post from the other thread. Please don't hijack posts, that leads to very chaotic threads.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 07:31:32 am »

When you installed VL did you choose the nvidia driver and if so did that install procedure work without problems? Do you get the nvidia logo during boot?

Anyways to help you we also need to know exactly what video card you have (lspci) and what modules are loaded (lsmod). Also post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to this thread and we can then help you out.

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: