VectorLinux
August 30, 2014, 02:02:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SJVN: Linux set to dominate low-end PC  (Read 9735 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 01:56:02 pm »

Apparently amongst goth teenagers in Tenby (small town in West Wales) Linux is very very cool.

Are they hot? That is the essential question. (Popularity of the band Tristania in that scene would also help.)

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 02:14:04 pm »

Apparently amongst goth teenagers in Tenby (small town in West Wales) Linux is very very cool.

Are they hot? That is the essential question. (Popularity of the band Tristania in that scene would also help.)

Very difficult to say.... my tastes may not coincide with yours.... actually I think most of my nieces friends would fit into the sweet category..
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 03:05:40 pm »

...actually I think most of my nieces friends would fit into the sweet category..

Most of my niece's friends would fit into "there oughta be law" category.  Shocked

(Unfortunately, there is.)

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 08:39:58 am »

How will Linux win the OS wars? From the bottom up!
http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=352
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:34 am »

Bring on the nieces!

How will Linux win the OS wars?  The nieces will start using it, that's how!  And they're sweet, who can resist that?  If pretty young girls and other cool kids like goths use Linux, it'll take over, except with the older "get off my lawn" set, many of whom don't use computers anyway.

Sorry, kind of in a weird mood today ... did one of you put cannabis in my breakfast flakes?

Seriously:  nubcnubdo, I read that article.  Some very good points.  It looks like the PC platform is going to be around for a while, and if MS keeps putting horrible bloatware like Vista, people could be open to alternatives.  Now that we're starting to get some traction with pre-installed Linux, things could start to go somewhere.

As much as I hate to admit it, Ubuntu seems well positioned as the distro to do this.  I'm not an Ubuntu fan (for some not very objective reasons) but it seems pretty popular and a lot of people seem to like it.  The name has quite a bit of recognition.  I've even met some people who haven't heard of Linux but who have heard of Ubuntu.  Go figure.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 09:13:36 am »

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I was joking about the Pink laptop.  Smiley
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 12:49:39 pm »

I just want to make it abundantly clear that I was joking about the Pink laptop.  Smiley

Not me, I like it

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 06:49:25 am »

The Economist: technology predictions for 2008
1. Surfing will slow: The internet is not about to grind to a halt, but as more and more users clamber aboard to download music, video clips and games... surfing the web is going to be more like traveling the highways at holiday time. You'll get there, eventually, but the going won't be great.
2. Surfing will detach: Internet will doubtless be as popular among mobile-internet surfers as among their sedentary cousins.
3. Surfing — and everything else computer-related — will open: Rejoice: the embrace of 'openness' by firms that have grown fat on closed, proprietary technology is something we'll see more of in 2008... Since the verdict against SCO, Linux has swiftly become popular in small businesses and the home, largely the doing of Ubuntu 7.10. And because it is free, Linux will become the operating system of choice for low-end PCs. Neither Microsoft nor Apple can compete at the new price points being plumbed by companies looking to cut costs.

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10410912
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 01:21:52 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: