VectorLinux
December 19, 2014, 11:40:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slow, 10MB/s Between non-OS Hard Drives. Bad Config?  (Read 2308 times)
DrCR
Vectorite

« on: December 08, 2007, 07:39:36 pm »

I'm transferring files from one drive's partition to another drive's partition. All are the same type, roughly same size of file, ~350MB. I'm just using VL5.1.1SOHO Konqueror's right-click Move To to move the files from one partiton to another.

The bummer is I'm only getting about a 10MB/s transfer rate, sometimes dipping to around 5-6MB/s, and very occasionally it jumps up to 50MB/s.       Only the terminal, aterm, is open besides Konqueror.

My fstab for these files:
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 reiserfs defaults,noexec,noauto,users,noatime 0 0  (WD3200JB)
/dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 reiserfs defaults,noexec,noauto,users,noatime 0 0  (HD501LJ)

Anyone have any thought on  what gives with the slow transfer rates? I'd expect to be running much higher that this, especially between to non-OS drives. VL5.1.1SOHO is running from hard drive (WD1200JB).

Edit: Moving files from hdb2/Folder1/ to sda3/Folder1/, ~15GB, crawled. But moving files from hdb2/Folder2/ to /sda3/Folder2/, ~20GB, is ~40-50MB/s. I'm stumped on this one.

Thanks,
DrCR

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 07:52:36 pm by DrCR » Logged
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:05:07 pm »

You could add "notail" to you parameters and I thing that the last entry should be "2". Thus something like this:
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 reiserfs defaults,noexec,noauto,users,noatime,notail 0 2

Don't know that these will give you better throughput though.
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:56:05 am »

I'll try that out.

Funny thing is some files in the same folder will transfer at 60-70MB/s, then the next file in the list will go down to 10MB/s. or even 5MB/s. So clearly there's something going on that's mounting parameters independent. Oh, and I'm now doing the transfers as root, so it's permissions independent as well.

Oh, and now I just selected to move a whole folder from on to another because I was for a while there getting so many ~60MB/s transfers for other files....it's transfering at 5MB/s, and I'm scared to stop it as it's a move not a copy, and I don't want to loose anything (not sure if this is a misplaced fear).

Huh

Not mounting parameters, not permissions. What else is there?! Grrrrr.

DrCR
saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 12:00:14 am »

Is it perhaps a Seagate drive? There have been some problems recently reported that on Linux they will awaken from powersave mode into USB 1.1 mode (which would explain the slow transfers). If you need me to Google up more information, I will; but you should have no problem doing so (if this is indeed related to your problem).

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 10:07:46 am »

There are many possibilities to slowed file transfer between partitions or physical disks. Some issues are hardware independant such as file size and number of files or the combination. I have noted many of the same transfer variabilities that DrCR is having. If I'm not mistaken though transfer rates for most non-SATA drives are 133 megabits/s (not megabytes) or less. So getting 15MB/s transfer between physical disks is pretty good (help me out if I'm not getting this right). If the transfers are on the same disk but different partitions then the internal transfer rates are much higher as it is not limited by the motherboard's controller.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 10:58:45 am »

Just some observation here.  Maybe they indicate something, maybe not.

Maybe for testing you could pick a particular file/directory that contains a specific amount of data to do your tests.  That way you're always working with the same data and the comparisons would be more comparible (in terms of total transfer time).

I notice that your drives are of different protocol (atapi [hdb] and sata/scsi [sda]).  Are the drivers for the sata/scsi correct, or correctly loaded?  If, by chance, they are of the same protocol (atapi), are they connected on the same cable?

You're using konqueror to do this process.  Are the transfer speeds the same when using the shell (mv from_location to_location)?

Have you tried any live distro to see if the transfer rates are the same?  Maybe even the first live alpha of VL5.9 Standard that was just released.  Might we worth a shot just to see the comparison.

Have you tried a copy/paste method instead of move method?

Good luck!
DrCR
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 04:05:26 pm »

I included the drive model numbers, but they are a bit buried and perhaps unrecognizable. WD3200JB ata to HD501LJ sata and visa versa when half way through I decided to keep all the data on the WD and use the Samsung HD for backups. I tried both copy and move to. Haven't tried the cl yet.

The transfer rates were file depended in the same folder. So I would copy and past, say, the first 5 files of a list of 50, and get 60-70MB/s transfer rates for the first two files, 13MB/s for the third, 60-70MB/s for the fourth, and 5MB/s for the last.

So we're talking about something mounting parameters independent, and permissions independent. It appears to be file specific. Both partitions are reiserfs -- which can't get defragmented, correct? All these files are torrented TG shows. Perhaps the fast ones are the ones  I pulled down alone, while the slow ones are all tangled up in other files that were pulled down at the same time (I'm clearly lacking in technical understanding here lol)? I'm making this guess as it seems the ones I pulled down "sololy" move at the 60-70MB/s speeds. I've got to get more scientific in my analyzation.

Maybe one of the disks is dying.

DrCR
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:08:46 pm by DrCR » Logged
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 04:52:46 pm »

I'm not a hardware expert by any stretch of the imagination, but try mounting explicitly as async and make sure that DMA is enabled (with hdparm).

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: