VectorLinux
September 30, 2014, 04:11:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: My response to a "distasteful" post  (Read 4776 times)
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 12:15:23 pm »

Wow, that was different..Lost on that one.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 03:29:13 pm »

kazuya

Look at this first:

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4897.0

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
dawnsboy
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 05:06:12 pm »

Why in the world would any one pollute these boards with a verbal attack like the one aimed at exeterdad (or that silly rant from someone that should probably give their PC back and apologize to its maker).  That's it!  Come to the friendliest board in the world of linux and then foul it up with that kind of smelly behavior.  Thanks for the laugh exeterdad!   Grin

I am with the other users who turn to the board after trying to learn on my own.  I started with a Commodore 64, switched to DOS/Windows (I swear I heard Rod Serling in the background when I did that) then on to Linux (where life begins and windows ends).  Microsofts idea of intuitive application interfaces is a joke in its own right.  Linux was actually easier once I grasped the concept.

I think that this would be a good time to thank Robert for affording me the opportunity to be associated with Vector Linux.  Just think, anyone can wander in from cyber space and stick around awhile.  No questions asked! Thanks Robert!

Custom Mini-Itx - VL6.0 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 06:41:39 pm »

Don't feel pregnant Reb, I don't even know any (non-internet) Linux users.

Me too. I don't know any Linux users in "real life." I have lots of cyber friends who are Linux users, though, on this and other forums.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 08:29:55 pm »

I have 3 converts to Linux where I live in my subdivision and 2 in a computer store. And in a health center here where I have to visit the rehab every now and then they changed entirely to Linux Fedora. None of the employees had anything to complain and I showed them a few tricks they can do with Linux which are absent in Windoof.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 08:36:22 pm »

I have to admit, I refrained from saying how I really felt about the post, but since everyone here is so good at keeping things down to a dull roar here, I reeled myself in.  Don't be fooled, it's not my nature.  I've been on the web long enough to not be affected too much about what I read, I can alway just go somewhere else or turn off my monitor.  But even with my short history with this community I just had to defend it.  I really do like it here and VL has become "my other woman".

Speaking of women, I was thinking earlier of GrannGeek and Caitlyn (Hope I spelled that right).  I honestly wish one of them would of posted first.  They really are gifted writers, they have a knack for saying things tactfully without coming right out and saying them if you know what I mean.  And GrannyGeek, she's not afraid to tell you how she see's it.  I admire that.

Meh...  maybe next time  Wink
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 11:09:53 pm »

Why in the world would any one pollute these boards with a verbal attack like the one aimed at exeterdad (or that silly rant from someone that should probably give their PC back and apologize to its maker).  That's it!  Come to the friendliest board in the world of linux and then foul it up with that kind of smelly behavior.  Thanks for the laugh exeterdad!   Grin

Aye, lad. Whether the post in question was simply a frustrated rant (something that happens) or a troll, there were more gracious ways to handle it.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 03:21:35 am »

The second World War was so devastating that it seems to completely overshadow the horrors of the first World War. You can still see it's effects to this day. Be it the Nazi bunkers along the coastline, where we used to play as kids... the big bomb craters along the coast of Normandy, or the cities that where wiped out and where no building prior to 1945 stands. And if you know where to look, there are still bullet holes and craters from that period. We in the Netherlands remember the deaths of the victims and soldiers on the 4th of may, and celebrate the liberation on the 5th of may. I personally know many people who have been in Nazi or Imperial Japanese concentration camps, but I have never met a soldier from that era. Thank you reb, I will raise a glass in your honor.

On a lighter note: I also don't have any RL Linux buddies. I do have some people interested, but when push comes to shove (as I believe the expression goes) they are afraid even to install Firefox. Only my mother runs Ubuntu, and she loves it.
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:49:27 am »

Working in aged care, I am privileged in having met many soldiers, sailors and airmen from World War II, even the wife of a WW I soldier who earned a Victoria Cross in the trenches of France (and had nightmares about it every night)

Wonderful men and women. Unfortunately, those that develop dementia often relive their experiences. We have one ex officer, who spends each evening screaming orders as his unit attacks the Japanese in New Guinea.

But I think the saddest thing for me was an old sailor, who had told me about having his ship sunk under him in Guadelcanal and seeing action in the Battle of Leyte Gulf. He was dying and unconscious and his son was at the bedside. I commented that the son that be must be proud of the things his dad had done and repeated some of the details of the stories. The son was quiet and said "he would never tell us about his war experiences".... I guess I was there at the right time.

So talk to your kids.
Quote from: exeterdad on December 10, 2007, 11:39:34 AM
Don't feel pregnant Reb, I don't even know any (non-internet) Linux users.

Don't you guys join LUGs? I know at least 40 people who use Linux (they mainly use Ubuntu  though).  And because the LUG gets more technical than I like, we even started another group for 'Linux Learners'.

But, in line with my parenting advice above, I only use Linux at home (and refuse to fix anything that runs Windows), So all my (4) children use Vector at home. With three VL boxes sharing the ADSL connection  and an open policy on web use, we often have a heap of my youngest (12yo) son's neighbohood friends on the web. Only my eldest daughter has opted out... she bought a Mac ibook (now loaded with familiar FOSS software).

To the topic, at last!, I enjoy the friendly, helpful tone of this forum tremendously. It is one of the main reasons I stay with VL.
kazuya
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 06:22:19 am »

I read the post; seems like a someone who just started and is not used to things not looking exactly like how he envisions them. He was a tart bit unpolite.. Everyone has their nature; He is not ready to use anything without major complaints. And worse, he is not willing to learn anything or accept anything, but how he envisions it, whether it be wrong or right..
You encounter folks like that once in a while in real life. The OPs were very tactful in their response. I am very impressed, but not surprised. This forum has always been tactful in dealing with things like this; But this is the worst behavior or post by anyone that I have ever seen.. It was not nearly constructive, nor did it mention anything that was wrong..  It could be worse, but the folk still thinks somehow he is owed something. We users are just priviledged to have many options to use and be helped by the wonderful developers of linux. Vl developers are definitly up there in task done given small footprints or numbers of developers. Great job again folks. Do not let posts like this cause you to shy away from new users not yet baptized in the joys of opensource...
As a side note, in 2 yrs from now, my company would be potentially switching to linux from xp. dell shall be cutting off XP support and getting folks to vista -  which folks are not ready for.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 05:22:51 pm »

Don't you guys join LUGs? I know at least 40 people who use Linux (they mainly use Ubuntu  though).  And because the LUG gets more technical than I like, we even started another group for 'Linux Learners'.

There isn't a Linux Users Group within 200 miles of us.

Returning to WWII vets, my uncle was an airplane mechanic in India, China, and Burma. He flew over the Himalayas many times. It was a very dangerous and uncomfortable flight. I had an uncle by marriage whose job on a Pacific island was collecting dead bodies from the battlefield. For the rest of his life he would vomit when he smelled certain smells. He never talked about any of his experiences, but they must have been with him all the time.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 03:39:57 pm »

There isn't a Linux Users Group within 200 miles of us.

GrannyGeek you are a legend!  I don't know how I would get by without the support of the groups I'm in.

On WWII soldiers, I just met a new resident of German origin. He was defending Berlin from the Russians in '45 as a 14 year old!  What do I have to complain about?

no2
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 07:40:49 pm »

I don't know how I would get by without the support of the groups I'm in.

One of the great things about the Internet is that we can make cyberfriends with interests like ours. Between this forum and a couple of others, I feel I get a lot of support for Linux.

On WWII soldiers, I just met a new resident of German origin. He was defendin Berlin from the Russians in '45 as a 14 year old!  What do I have to complain about?

One of my professors in college came from Dresden, Germany. He was a 15-year-old conscript when Dresden was firebombed. That experience could provide a lifetime of nightmares.
--GrannyGeek

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2007, 12:29:35 am »

Ooh...
WWII-stories...

Reminds me to finish the translation of my dad's journal 'bout his time in the german camps.(He was ratted out for being in the reasistance...)

<Lame sig>
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2007, 12:40:26 am »

One of my uncles (not father-brother obviously, what do you call it?) was at Iwo Jima as a landing craft boatswain.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: