VectorLinux
September 21, 2014, 09:42:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX-5.9-LIVE-A2 RELEASED  (Read 8107 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 09, 2007, 05:33:34 pm »

Development has started on the LIVE version of 5.9 STD.
Please give this a try and help point it in the right direction.

There are no dev tools, kernel-headers or proprietary drivers in this release.
Gparted was added along with the VL-live-tools for easy remastering.

the ISO is here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/iso-test/VL5.9-STD-LIVE-A2.iso
md5sum: c04134ae6c49019ba21609d08c877f59  VL5.9-STD-LIVE-A2.iso

Post any bugs/suggestions below

Thanks,
Uelsk8s

nubcnubdo
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:27:27 pm »

Pretty much like VL 5.9 RC3. Except: I have two optical drives, CDRW and DVD-ROM, and there is a long delay (35 seconds of wasted activity) during the beginning of boot because the OS is repeatedly seeking data on the empty drive (slaved DVD-ROM). I experienced this delay in Wolvix and NimbleX, and I believe it is attributable to the Linux-Live script, for which there is no immediate remedy, apparently. When added to the typically long boot of a live CD, an extra delay of 35 seconds is substantial, or, in other words, annoying.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:42:13 pm by nubcnubdo » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 07:17:33 am »

I have to say, WOW. It is the fastest live cd I ran ever. And the tools it provides, usb install, vmklive, I want to try those now! I will backup the current content of my usb drive tonight. And vmklive looks so promising. Guys you don't lose your time really.

Network works out of the box.
Sound works, hda intel module for mcp61 nvidia High Definition onboard sound loaded.
Driver 'nv' loaded. I think my vsync is wrong, the screen is not used totally, I have dark space around, but is common in my monitor. I just look for a good vsync/resolution each time I install vl.
Surprise, a module for my zaurus pda are loaded at start up, and I discovered the same in rc3 thanks to the livecd. An interface usb0 brings up.
I didn't know about the existence of those modules.
I have no troubles with rc3, so I expected no troubles with the live cd, and I am posting from it, and I no experienced any problem.

I see the devs followed the recent discussions about the distro and tried to realize the users suggestions. The usb installer used to be a topic. Vmklive is a very nice surprise. I have to say I admire so much your efforts. I hope Redmond guys don't ever tempt you with a $1000000 salary.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:33:33 pm »

Looks great during booting!

After booting it sat with the last [OK] showing. Then only when I pressed enter it continued with the usual opening for VL, except the line where it tells the user is vl and password vector flows together with some others and is hard to make out.

Startx for X did not proceed before I ran vasm and auto hardware config. May be that should be mentioned.

Now the real bummer I am unable to connect to the Internet pulling all registers I know. Huh

Usually with all slackies in order to connect to the Internet I have to rmmod tulip then modprobe dmfe, then USE_DHCP[0]="yes" (this was correctyly done by VL59-Live) then rc.inet1 start. For future bootings blacklist tulip instead of dmfe and enable dmfe in rc.modules. Has always worked except in zenwalk and now in this V:59-Live.

For the first time that I saw dmfe in lsmod in any slacky.

If I rmmod tulip and do rc.inet1 start, I get FAILURE and some mention not finding dhpcd or such.

If I put modprobe tulip again and do rc.inet1 start It starts with that first line finding my HWaddr and continues w/o having my inet address.

Other things I have done an occation to get connected , however, not this time, to copy resolv.conf over from another box and/or do /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up or route add -net 192.168.xxx.xx netmask 255.255.224.0 dev eth0.

On one of the beta versions of VL59 to get connected I had only to do rm tulip and modprobe dmfe.

(I noticed you did not include yet my flux box menu with the icons.)

I could not test more since I had no more time.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:39:30 pm by Pita » Logged
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 06:36:37 am »

I have not recieved the menu yet. where did you send it?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 05:00:34 pm »

I have not recieved the menu yet. where did you send it?

I sent to your e-mail address at gmail as an attachment. Is there a better way to send?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 05:29:57 pm »

I cant find it. can you resend
Thanks
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 08:13:22 pm »

I cant find it. can you resend
Thanks

Resent now.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 12:29:27 am »

Forgot to mention that as in VL59-RC3 in rc.firewall iptables are looked at in /sbin/ instead in /usr/sbin causing quite a few lines of error messages since there is no symlink in /sbin to /usr/sbin/iptables as it is in VL5.8.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:01:34 pm »

Finally found time to buy some more CD blanks...

Looks pretty good so far. A few items:

vlcpufreq appears on the menu, but isn't found when I try to run it.

my laptop has an Intel Pro 100 ethernet port. I have both e100 and eepro100 modules loaded, even though e100 is in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, so it shouldn't be loading at all.

Using VASM to try and set the keymap fails. I select UK and try it, still have US layout. On this subject, it would be really nice to have some way to set the keymap during boot - having to fight with the wrong layout once the system is booted is a pain, and reduces the usability of the live CD considerably.

More when I'm in a position to try it on the network...

paul.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 05:47:36 pm »

Hello Uelsk,

got your mail telling me that you do not receive mine. I sent it now the 3rd time using mail2web.com. That normally works. I have the same problem, with my daughter which lives in the US and she receives the mail sent by mail2web or with my operamail address. I believe my ISP is possibly listed as spam.

Regards

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 08:05:22 pm by Pita » Logged
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:03:32 pm »

Heh, finally someone else with an operamail address!... Cheesy

I switched from IE3 to Opera way back then and opened my operamail account. Have kept it all these years in spite of the prehistoric mailbox space, mostly as a spam basket, since there's no way to flood it (only 3MB) with thousands of spam emails... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 07:12:18 pm »

Alrighty, testing this baby out on my Vista-beast.  A considerable test given what I've got here.

Righteo.

First off, it detects that there are dual monitors, and puts up a cloned image on both.  Good enough for now.  Correctly determines 1280x1024 for the 17" monitor.  Has no clue for the 22" wide (1680x1050 by the way)

xorg auto-config does not determine the appropriate functions for the extra buttons on the mouse (G5 gaming mouse, comes with Forward and Backward buttons conveniently located along the thumb groove).  Similarly, extra keys on G15 keyboard incorrectly or inappropriately mapped.

Auto-mounts NTFS partitions with full read/write access - awesome!

Could not do movie playback from my external hard.

Sound works a treat - Intel HDA running 5.1 system, sounds great.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:53 pm »

Our new Live CD looks really good, lots of effort obviously put into it and its graphics and bootsplashes, but some minor annoyances, problems:

1) tried boot with "vector 1280" (I have a 1280x1024) LCD panel, but that did not get me the best resolution and neither did "vector max". However, running VASM and Xconf it worked fine.

2) during boot with "vector cli" it stalls for a few seconds during the end of rc.M saying "Building Card Database", then spits out a huge sequence of single numbers, one per line, and then eventually boots just fine. There does seem to be some funny boot issue though, but I can't tell from dmesg what that might be....

3) in CLI logon, the penguin screen has a line which needs a line break as it runs over itself and look rather silly (the line telling you the password).

4) catfish missing its icon in the jwm menu

5) adobe reader 8 missing its icon in the xfce menu

6) choosing "vector copy2ram" not possible even with 1GB of RAM. Perhaps there should be a message saying how much RAM one actually needs to do this ??

7) I see we are using vl-hot instead of HAL. Is that the plan? Can there be a boot option to use one over the other?

otherwise excellent work chaps. I always used Slax for my favourite Linux Live CD, it may well be our beloved VL now!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 10:27:52 pm »

I reported earlier that I am unable to connect to the Internet. I tried it a few more times, different plays. It would not work.
Now here is the hammer, I am writing this in VL59-live-CD.

This time I booted with the option cli (whatever that means?).
Now dmfe was not loaded unlike when I boot w/o an option. Then doing rmmod tulip, modprobe dmfe, vasm for automatic hardware detection and there I am connceted to the Internet.

What would be the explanation for this?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: