VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 08:49:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I post a HowTo in the HowTo section?  (Read 1407 times)
rhauff
Vectorite

« on: December 09, 2007, 07:59:50 pm »

I have a Howto prepared (mostly) on settting up Lircd.  I don't see a "Post New" button in that section though.  How do we go about posting these?  Also, I want to include several of the config files that I had to modify to get it to work, as examples.  What is the best way to do that?  Should I just paste them inline,?
Thanks
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 08:14:24 pm »

Hi rhauff, there was some problem with the forum database and the how to forum had to be set as read-only. Post the how to in some other forum or just here, and one of the admins will move it to the how to section. About the config files, you can use quote or code tags, they will set a div with a scrollbar so they will look good. If they are too long, I guess you could use some external server, like pastebin or something.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:30:12 pm »

That still hasn't been fixed? Man, that's annoying..
I don't have the power to fix it (only admins can do that), but I CAN move your HOWTO to the appropriate place if you post it elsewhere.

* The Headacher kindly asks the mighty admins to fix permissions in the HOWTO board

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:19:39 am »

That still hasn't been fixed? Man, that's annoying..
I don't have the power to fix it (only admins can do that), but I CAN move your HOWTO to the appropriate place if you post it elsewhere.

* The Headacher kindly asks the mighty admins to fix permissions in the HOWTO board

FIXED! With the fix having been done, this reply to The Headacher's request is a reminder that the HOWTO board is NOT a place to ask questions and an explanation of why the HOWTO board was set as a reply-only board for regular members.

Too many members did not read the forum description, which plainly states that the HOWTO board is not the place to ask questions but a place to post completed solutions to problems for discussion by members. Too many posts had to be moved to other boards, because they were questions and not solutions. That's why the HOWTO forum was set to be a reply-only board, where the admins and mods would move completed solutions posted by members.

Moderators, if you find questions being asked in the HOWTO board, especially if they start a thread, move them immediately. There is no need to leave a "This topic has been moved" post when you do make moves in that forum. Thanks very much.

Finally, moderators, if you do find yourselves moving too many questions out of the HOWTO Section, let me know ASAP, and I'll reset the board so that it is a reply-only board. Thanks very much.

Your friendly admin,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:39 am »

I'm not sure, but it might help if we picked a less potentially misleading name than HOWTO. I imagine veteran Linux users take that meaning of that term for granted, but others might not.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 10:35:23 am »

Too many posts had to be moved to other boards, because they were questions and not solutions. That's why the HOWTO forum was set to be a reply-only board, where the admins and mods would move completed solutions posted by members.
I didn't know it was intentional, I thought it was still a read only board from when the backup of the old howto's had to be merged into the new HOWTO section. I assumed it hadn't been put back to read/write because the mods had just forgotten about it. Sorry about that, my bad.

Moderators, if you find questions being asked in the HOWTO board, especially if they start a thread, move them immediately. There is no need to leave a "This topic has been moved" post when you do make moves in that forum. Thanks very much.
Will do! I like the policy of not leaving redirection post, it just makes the forum look messy.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 10:56:37 am »

it just makes the forum look messy.
Agreed  Smiley
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 11:18:16 am »

Sorry about that, my bad.

Oh please no, not "my bad"! What a destruction of the beautiful English language!  Wink

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: