VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 05:59:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Star Office  (Read 5310 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 04:05:08 pm »

Thanks again newtor StarOffice 8 seems to be working like a charm if I run into any problems I will post.  I have one more question hopefully can be answered.  When loading StarOffice 8 all of my folders being README, LICENSE and RPMS are on my desktop.  The problem is I cannot move these folders under one folder to clean up the clutter from my desktop.  Do you know how this is done?  Thank you so very much, TC.   Grin

Perhaps you copied them as root and now you don't have the permissions, try login as root in a console and remove the dirs.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
TC

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:27 pm »

I get an access denied when I try to move these folder to the trash bin, TC.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 07:03:22 pm »

Perhaps you copied them as root and now you don't have the permissions, try login as root in a console and remove the dirs.
I think rbitolfi is correct.  If the files were unpacked as root, which (I think) they were then you need to be root to delete them.  You can do this from a terminal like this:
open a terminal
su
cd Desktop/
rm README
rm LICENSE
rm -drf RPMS
exit

HTH!

BE CAREFUL when deleting things as root
TC

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 04:18:16 am »

Ignore this post I figured out the problem.  Sorry for the wasted space.  Thanks again for everyones help on this problem it is very much appreciated.  One more quick question, how do you all know this stuff and how to fix these problems, TC.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 05:36:25 am »

Ignore this post I figured out the problem.  Sorry for the wasted space.  Thanks again for everyones help on this problem it is very much appreciated.  One more quick question, how do you all know this stuff and how to fix these problems, TC.

Glad you got it TC. About the question, just read the posts of hanumizzle, lagagnon, easuter, uelsk8s, grannygeek, kidd, vec, joe1962, john, the headeacher, and the list goes... god there is lot of wisdom in this forum! Oh, and break your own computer some times dealing with the console and the config files, make a backup first Wink.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:41 am »

This is a wonderful thread.  However, TC, if you can do it, I would modify it by deleting or conditioning Newtor's December 10, 2007 9:10 pm post.  Newtor later posted the correct solution to installing staroffice 8 in the same thread and therefore his Dec 10 post should be deleted.  Or, I should learn to read to the end of a thread before following thread instructions.  Takes a while to delete 30 Staroffice files.

I most appreciate Newtor's efforts.  Most.  For what its worth,  they work great for the current star office 8 release. But the star office writer still doesn't show in the Office Menu.

John
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:14:43 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: