VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 07:14:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Stumped [Solved]  (Read 1630 times)
jasmc

« on: December 11, 2007, 02:04:42 am »

Hi everybody.....I require some help.  I am installing a network monitoring tool that is provided by my isp, all has gone well by following to howto that is provided.  The problem is that as a final step is asks me to copy a file into - ~/.filename.  Can someone please tell me exactly what that means as I can not find anything named as such anywhere.   All help and advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Jason
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:07:44 am by jasmc » Logged

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:13:36 am »

FIles startring with '.' are usually hidden by file managers. Probably your file browser (Thunar?) has a context menu somewhere (right click?) that allows you to see hidden files.

For the console itself, you can add -a flag to ls.

HTH

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:49:10 am »

Just for the record, CTRL + H in thunar gives you the hidden files. ~/ is the short for your home directory. That said, do a favor to Kidd and use the command line at least a little Cheesy

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
jasmc

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:07:11 am »

Hi kidd and rbistolfi, thanks for the replies.  As it turns out firefox has a plug-in that is exactly what I was after, that even works with my isp.  As for what I was trying to do with the package I do not think it was creating properly as the folder I was directed to paste the new script into was not there.  Anyways a good learning experience for the processes involved in installing packages, which is good for a noob like me.  Again thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Jason

Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:44:41 am »

Hi jasmc, frequently you have to create the dirs by yourself, for some reason Linux programmers wants you to help with the install sometimes.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: