VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: I'm Stumped [Solved]  (Read 1836 times)

jasmc

I'm Stumped [Solved]
« on: December 11, 2007, 02:04:42 am »

Hi everybody.....I require some help.  I am installing a network monitoring tool that is provided by my isp, all has gone well by following to howto that is provided.  The problem is that as a final step is asks me to copy a file into - ~/.filename.  Can someone please tell me exactly what that means as I can not find anything named as such anywhere.   All help and advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Jason
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 01:07:44 am by jasmc »
Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: I'm Stumped
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:13:36 am »

FIles startring with '.' are usually hidden by file managers. Probably your file browser (Thunar?) has a context menu somewhere (right click?) that allows you to see hidden files.

For the console itself, you can add -a flag to ls.

HTH

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 05:49:10 am »

Just for the record, CTRL + H in thunar gives you the hidden files. ~/ is the short for your home directory. That said, do a favor to Kidd and use the command line at least a little :D
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

jasmc

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 01:07:11 am »

Hi kidd and rbistolfi, thanks for the replies.  As it turns out firefox has a plug-in that is exactly what I was after, that even works with my isp.  As for what I was trying to do with the package I do not think it was creating properly as the folder I was directed to paste the new script into was not there.  Anyways a good learning experience for the processes involved in installing packages, which is good for a noob like me.  Again thanks for your assistance.

Cheers

Jason
Vector 5.9 Gold on Dell c840

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: I'm Stumped [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 04:44:41 am »

Hi jasmc, frequently you have to create the dirs by yourself, for some reason Linux programmers wants you to help with the install sometimes.
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!