VectorLinux
September 15, 2014, 11:10:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: change of plan  (Read 3973 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« on: December 11, 2007, 04:48:21 pm »

Good news / bad news time

First the bad news

Sadly, I think I can no longer go on with developing VASM 2. I feel that it has become too much for one person to handle, and I ran into a ton of technical problems such as not having wireless hardware to redo vwireless and, among the largest, getting a GUI that works with UI::Dialog. Those problems have become genuinely insurmountable...the ancestral furor teutonicus overwhelmed me, I guess. On top of that, I'm in college now and have to devote a good bit of time to classwork, lab assistant at the library, even social life (believe it or not, I have one). If I don't have a GPA >= 3.5 next semester I won't be able to stay in Phi Theta Kappa.

Now good news!

I am still interested in the future of the distro. I should visit here everyday like I used to and I wonder how I ever left. I think the best thing for me to do now is be a mensch and throw all my weight behind our existing infrastructure. Although I am very pedantic and have a hard time working with code that I didn't write (no offense, it's my mindset), I'll see what I can do. I solicit your suggestions now. I would prefer to stick with bash or Perl for the time being because I know shell already and find Gambas somewhat difficult to use effectively. I can write back-end stuff very well though as you know.

Other good news: DISCRETE MATH AND COMPUTER ORGANIZATION NEXT SEMESTER!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 04:50:43 pm by hanumizzle » Logged

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:38:56 pm »

Sorry to hear that you can't continue the development of VASM2. But your education is indisputably more important. Glad to see that you place a higher value on it over computer stuff.

We all thank you so much for everything that you've done so far. Your work with VASM has been good and of great importance for VL. Thanks!

BTW, I liked Discrete Mathematics though not my favorite. It has many uses in computer programming. I personally preferred Calculus and related subjects, but I have yet to find as much application in computer science for that as the discrete. I hope you enjoy it!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:43:56 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:11:30 pm »

wow. This is really bad. I wish you the best dude.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:11:47 pm »

We all thank you so much for everything that you've done so far. Your work with VASM has been good and of great importance for VL. Thanks!

Well, not really. Considering that I was not able to make a final release.  Cry Maybe I blazed the trail anyway though.

BTW, I liked Discrete Mathematics though not my favorite. It has many uses in computer programming. I personally preferred Calculus and related subjects, but I have yet to find as much application in computer science for that as the discrete. I hope you enjoy it!

I strongly prefer mathematical structure (e.g., sets, mappings, categories) to the continuous stuff. That's just me. Of course, calculus finds many applications in programming, depending on the domain. As far as I know, it is not generally applicable to computer science though, being as programs are not generally concerned with rates of change....

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:13:09 pm »

wow. This is really bad. I wish you the best dude.

That's already in the past. But have you got anything in your own itinerary I can help with, M0E-lnx?  Smiley

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:10:29 pm »

As Dweeberkitty pointed, you are making the best decision, for your future and also for VL. I am sure college will give you the tools you need to do something amazing. And VL we will have an incredible collaborator when you finally graduate Wink
Best wishes, I am sure great things are expecting for you.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:31:39 pm »

Like I tell my own kids, you should maintain a list of priorities throughout life. The entries on that list will constantly change, but there needs to be a cut-off line. If something drops below that line, so be it.

Thanks for your contributions and best of luck to you.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 08:19:54 pm »

Like I tell my own kids, you should maintain a list of priorities throughout life. The entries on that list will constantly change, but there needs to be a cut-off line. If something drops below that line, so be it.

Incidentally, our comp sci class did an exercise on a simulated memory page queue yesterday. That matches exactly what you said.

BTW, nightflier, I became 'en riktig Svensson' according to my friend Johanna, so now I am required to hate you. (j/k)  Grin

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 01:27:44 am »

well,it is the right thing to do.Take your time with the studying and the social life. Smiley

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 04:35:23 am »

I'm in agreement with everyone.  You setting your priorities is very wise.  Now go get smart and stuff.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 05:07:24 am »

I'd hate to see vasm get dropped like that, but at the same time I dont have the kind of time or skills to pick up where you left off.

I would prefer to stick with bash or Perl for the time being because I know shell already and find Gambas somewhat difficult to use effectively. I can write back-end stuff very well though as you know.

I can offer to write front ends if you do the back-ends. Just stay away from the socket thingie.... I really dont like that method.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:43 am »

BTW, nightflier, I became 'en riktig Svensson' according to my friend Johanna, so now I am required to hate you. (j/k)  Grin

LOL!

Vi krangler, men er likevel venner med søta bror.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 06:39:07 am »

LOL!

Vi krangler, men er likevel venner med søta bror.

Du har väl rätt i vad som du skriver ("Du har vel rett i det du skriver") Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: