VectorLinux
September 22, 2014, 02:03:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gimp Usage  (Read 1392 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 15, 2007, 01:34:29 am »

can any one suggest a good site / training video / book on how to use Gimp?

I've been using photo tools since the early 90's and am having issues with doing basic tasks in gimp.  Any help as per the usual would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:12:10 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:49:37 am »

GIMPtalk.com is probably the most active GIMP forum with quick turn-arounds on questions. Also, there are some excellent video tutorials available at MeetTheGIMP.

There is a recently released book (dead tree) available commercially, Beginning GIMP, which is quite up-to-date with the latest versions. Online, there is the GIMP User's Manual (up-to-date, also available in multiple languages) and Grokking the GIMP (older book but most of it still useful).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 02:55:06 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:30:12 am »

Awesome Smiley

THANK-YOU.

Ask Yourself

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »

The resources you posted have me salivating, saulgoode. They'll be a major project once the holiday season is over and VL 5.9 goes Gold.

Another Web site with links to GIMP tips and tutorials is
http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2007/10/29/gimp-24-released.htm

I have two fairly recent GIMP books. One is Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional by Akkana Peck. It's a big book and covers a lot. I haven't started reading and working with it yet. The other is GIMP 2 for Photographers by Klaus Goelker. The book is a series of workshops or tutorials on various Gimp operations and includes a CD with the images used in the tutorials so you can follow along and do the step-by-step exercises. The CD also has a searchable PDF of the book. There is a 2007 book called The Artist's Guide to GIMP Effects by Michael J. Hammel that I haven't seen yet.

There is a companion Web site to that book at http://www.graphics-muse.org/artistsguide/ . It has some tutorials and tips for which you don't need the book.

And of course, there is the GIMP's own Web site at http://www.gimp.org/ that includes links to tutorials and books.

Now if we could just find the time to learn all this stuff...  Smiley
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 01:53:52 pm »

I have time right now, nothing but...In the last two weeks I've been beating myself down with information, howto's and just trying to learn as much as possible so that when I'm in school and back to work, and don't have time to learn that there won't be a learning curve as I already know how to do it.

GrannyGeek you are quite the resource, if they ever digitize your brain I'd so download it.

Ask Yourself

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: