VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 06:47:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you dual boot windows with vector?  (Read 1439 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 11, 2007, 10:52:11 pm »

I've decided I want to do a dual boot with xp and I'm curious if someone has done this and has a clear concept on what and how to do it.

Here's my plan

Drive organization (beginning to end)
40 gig ntfs (windows)
1 gig swap
39 gig root

install windows fist
install vector

the sticking point is how to hook up the dual boot

The reason behind this is simple, my video card sucks the big one in linux and works ok in windows, I'm running an ATI 9600 Pro and I don't know why.  In windows I'm capable of running higher end games, that I try in linux and they lag and/or crash sparactically.  In my experience the video has worked best in openSUSE, but openSUSE isn't really my favourite distro. 

Hence the idea that I'll run windows for gaming / emulating and music organizing (I love media monkey for tagging).  Till I get a new system, since simply upgrading my video card isn't an option (agp).
I'd like to know a working step-by-step method before I go through the effort of trying it out.

any help as usual is appreciated.

Ask Yourself

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:57:01 pm »

You can select that option in the install. It's fairly straightforward, actually.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:03:26 pm »

which option do I go for? grub / mbr?

and does windows have to be in first, or can it be second?

which would be easier?

Ask Yourself

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:04:20 pm »

like hanumizzle said its very easy using lilo in the mbr
install windows first then linux and let lilo take care of the dual boot.

If i were you i would grab an Nvidia AGP card off ebay though  Smiley
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:13:35 pm »

I think thats not a bad idea about the nvidia card I was looking for a bfg 6600...I try not to use ebay...I like craigslist and kijiji because there local specific, I guess I could do the ebay idea.  How improved is your video experience with an nvidia card?  I was using my laptop with integrated intel graphics and it worked way better then my card even though is specked way lower, my gf's computer in linux had better results then my card in linux as well, its kind of discouraging...

now I think I'll go shop cards rather then run windows Tongue

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 12:01:26 am »

I found a card...there pretty limited...

I'm bidding, yippy dippy dee do Tongue

Ask Yourself

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 06:33:15 am »

I used ATI radeon cards for a long time. The proprietary installer works, but only gives you about half the performance of what the windows drivers do. I switched to nVidia on all boxes and it works a lot better for me. Their Linux drivers give about the same performance as the windows versions, so I'd say a doubling of performance is achievable.

The installer may not be as slick as ATI's, needing to be run in text mode, but that is function over form, which I prefer anyway.

If eBay doesn't do it for you, a 6200 can be found at newegg.com for 30-40 bucks.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 09:16:07 pm »

I checked out ebay and found a card that was acceptable bfg6800 256 mb bid on it lost it, bid lost...then I came to the realization that you can still buy agp cards for cheap.  I thought it'd gone the way of zip drives...but its more like pc133 ram Tongue where its still available.

I found two cards I'd be into 7600 GS 256 mb or 7600 GT 256mb 590 mhz  if the GT isn't available I'll grab the GS and give my ati to charity, or burn it...I'm not sure which would be more satisfying.

Ask Yourself

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: