VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 07:49:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Better to get now or wait?  (Read 2014 times)
changturkey

« on: December 13, 2007, 07:22:37 am »

Should I just use RC-3 of 5.9 or wait till the final comes out? Or does it update the required components when the new packages are out? Sorry if some of my terminology is wrong, I am a Ubuntu/Suse Refugee, and found this distro, and want to try it out. Also, somewhat off topic, is there a package for the program known as Picard Music Tagger? Thanks...
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:33:48 am »

Hello changturkey,
If you are not comfortable running a release that may not be quite ready, I would recommend you wait a bit longer until 5.9 goes Gold.  I feel it's very, very soon.

The RC's still have minor problems.  Problem's that may or may not affect your particular machine.  They run great for me, but others are having troubles.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 08:05:42 am »

Hey Changturkey,

I'd say just get your feet wet, I'm a debian crosser myself, and I ran openSUSE for a while as well.  Vector is a pretty sweet o/s.  Its a little harder to get going but it well worth the effort.  Plus if you have any questions the guys in the community do a great job answering them.  I started running Vector about two weeks ago started with 5.9 RC1 then switched up to RC3 upon its release. 

My only gripe with Slackware in general is software is an issue.  That said, its just a matter of changing your prefered software or finding packages.  if you can find them in a .tgz or .tlz format is as simple as right clicking and selecting Install.  I have distro hopped for almost a year, and this is by far my favorite distro.  Its a little frustrating, but the awesome community support, and once you get aquanted to how software is dealt with in slackware it's not a bad deal.

there's a built in program to convert rpm2tgz simply type that in the terminal and point it to an rpm it's worked for a few softwares.

I've used websites more then gslapt to get software being as slackware 12 is still kind of new and the repository's are a little dry.

http://www.slacky.eu/ 
-italian site, I just use google language tools to translate the discriptions

http://slackbuilds.org/ 
-its just slackbuild scripts, you download the script, and the source, then compile your own .tgz file for specific apps you want.

Its kind of fun I spent hours making packages to save on my server for myself and anyone that wants me to convert there box.

http://www.linuxpackages.net/

I'm mentioning it as it was the first I tried out...its pretty lacking and a lot of the packages I grabbed off here didn't work, but for the sake of more options I'm mentioning it.

Again, I suggest you try it out, play with it, have fun.  This is by far the best o/s I've seen offered up in the open source communities.  One other thing I noticed, is in debian you have a tone of software available so your always looking for something better, or that more closely does what you need it to do.  well using this o/s I've found even though the apps aren't my usual ones they do the job, they do it well and there stable.

Welcome Cheesy

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:16:31 am »

right off the bat I couldn't find Picard Music Tagger

I found a easytag

http://repository.slacky.eu/slackware-12.0/multimedia/easytag/2.1/

It may do what your looking for I'm not familiar with Picard Music Tagger so I'm not sure...

I used Ex Falso in the past its part of quod libet...I was able to get it installed and working. which proved more hassle then it was worth.  Amarok works really well so I opted to change my default music software.

One app I really like on here as well is wbar, its a mac like docbar.

I have a preference to it opening on the bottom of my screen so I put a long winded command in my auto start programs, and it comes up consistently.

Ask Yourself

changturkey

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:36:33 pm »

Well, I cannot provide a link to Picard right now, but basically, this program scans your music files and automatically tags them for you, and if it does not have a tag yet, you can find the proper tag in the database and tag it so that other users will not have the untagged file.

Also, does the package manager for vector find dependecies, similar to APT, because honestly, I am not experienced enough to install from source.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:22:24 pm »

I'm not the best guy to answer that question...

from what I gather it will tell you if you are missing something as it has for me.  I don't think it grabs it by default its kind of like you get the error you grab what you need then try again and the sites I listed can be added so you don't have to do the manual hunt and gather that I've been up to.

The issue I have is I use my computer for tones of purposes and require a lot of apps to get the things done, in windows, and debian it was very easy to do, but it wasn't the most stable or fast system, with Vector I seem to get the variety and the performance...but with all computer related things there is a learning curve.

I'd say install, get it up and running then ask what ever questions you may have...I'm still a newb, but anything i've struggled through I'd be more then willing to help some through with out the same level of frustration.  And the people on here are more then willing to help you as best they can, I've had a lot of first response resolution on here for my issues.

Ask Yourself

BlueMage
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:05:49 pm »

I'm still a Vector-noob, despite having used it for almost a year.  Do not let that daunt you.  Easily the best way is to jump straight in, see what works and what doesn't, and then put your questions to the community here.  The community here is amazing, always willing to answer questions.  I know I've pestered the community here quite a few times, and everytime, folks have been happy to help.  That's just not something you find elsewhere.  They might say to read the man page, but they don't just tell you RTFM.

Just so you know, Vector was my primary work OS - I had fewer problems than the rest of the folks in my division.  Especially when it came to networking and printing.

Acer Laptop:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final & Windows XP Professional & USB (still alive!)
Compaq POS (almost dead): Vector 5.9 Light Beta 5
Quad-core BEAST: Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & Vector 5.9 64-bit beta-2
Old 500MHz media box:  Vector 5.8 SOHO Final (dead)
701 EeePC:  Puppeee (based on Puppy 4.01)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 05:05:32 pm »

...does the package manager for vector find dependecies, similar to APT...
It does, as long as you have the proper repos enabled and the deps are on one of them.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3681.0

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:21:14 pm »

Joe Thanks for the FYI

I wasn't sure.

Ask Yourself

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: