VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 02:04:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Linux CD Ripper? / Software finding and installing Help  (Read 4385 times)
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:52 pm »

I'm wondering if any on has suggestions for the "best" cd ripper.

I'm looking for the following features.

Encode to MP3
Encode to FLAC
FreeDB lookup / auto tagging (including year and genre if possible)
ID3v2 tags
log file generation

ripperX seems broken in that it gives an error when trying to do a CD look up.

I found am using Asunder which fits the bill but does not do log files or have year / genre tagging.

grip has come up as a suggestion from what I'm reading I can't seem to get it going...I got the tarball but haven't gotten to the install point.

I got ripoff which didn't work for me. it says its missing a lib that is installed...so I don't know how to fix that.
I wanted to try rubyripper, but same issue where I believe I have all the files installed but the main app says no go, or it doesn't make it past the checking lib's part.

Any Idea's or suggestions? or personal favorites?

The purpose for the ripper is to convert all my remaining cd's to a high enough quality that I can both enjoy them for myself and post on torrent sites with fairly strict upload rules..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:35:24 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 11:19:03 pm »

ripperX seems broken in that it gives an error when trying to do a CD look up.

It's not exactly broken. I think it is just that the CDDB server setup is incorrect in Preferences. You just need to change it to the newer server name - I found it here I think: http://ripperx.sourceforge.net/faq.html

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 11:21:41 pm »

change www.freedb.org/cgi-bin/cddb.cgi to freedb.freedb.org/cgi-bin/cddb.cgi
in your ripperx config
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:09:00 am »

I'm playing with a dvdrip program I got off of slacky.eu so I can't try out ripperX

do either of you guys know off hand the extra features under the mp3 menu? like if theres an option to output a log file?

and just a question I've always used lame to encode mp3...I'm wondering are blade or gogo any good? is a matter of there just different but do the same thing, or is lame truly the best encoder?

Ask Yourself

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 12:20:36 am »

lame is fine. Of course, if you don't need the files for an mp3 player, you could go the True Linux Way(tm) and use Ogg Vorbis encoding, which is said to have better fidelity.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 12:51:53 am »

I've never encoded to ogg...my encodes are typically for my expanding music library and I like being able to share ... I remember when I was buddy's with a guy working at creative and I asked about ogg support and he was like its on the same wish list as world peace...then again I'm far out of the loop these days.  Is there players with ogg support?  typically its mp3 / aac / wma.  I've ripped to flac occationally for requests on sites, but its just too big for me I'm at 20,000+ songs as is so if it was flac I'd have my server filled with just music.

my only gripe with slackware over debian is I took the time and figured out all the apps for all the things I do, and majority of them don't have packages.  Being that I'm open to change, I'm just doing the most painful and fun thing to do...figure out good alternatives to accomplish the task.  I'm pretty close to being done, then I'll get my new hardware in reload the o/s clean with all the goodies I want.

Is there a way to back up to a dvd your o/s plus settings? under the same idea as norton ghost...

Ask Yourself

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:19:45 am »

my only gripe with slackware over debian is I took the time and figured out all the apps for all the things I do, and majority of them don't have packages.  Being that I'm open to change, I'm just doing the most painful and fun thing to do...figure out good alternatives to accomplish the task.  I'm pretty close to being done, then I'll get my new hardware in reload the o/s clean with all the goodies I want.
The great thing about VL is that we have a package requests forum and the packages are always eager to build new packages, and if they're not then VL has vpackager which will build a package for you from source.  If you're missing some packages you really love then drop a post in packages requests and you'll likely get what you want.  The biggest hangup for why a package cannot be built or run on VL is due to too many gnome dependencies.  HTH
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 08:31:52 am »

hey Newtor,

I haven't really ventured outside the newbie forums yet...

I have enjoyed figuring out how to make my own packages, or just hunting down the ones I want.  I know that dependencies are an issue.  So for the most part, I'd find the program I want, then find all the dependencies I need and make them all .tgz and store them on my data server for future use.

My favorite packaging format is deb is there a way to create these in vector?  I haven't played with the vector packaging, this is the first o/s other then gentoo were I've compiled anything.

I started off with just regular compiling via the terminal

then I moved on to building .tgz with the pre-made scripts at Slackbuilds.org I think I was doing this till I was blue in the face...they worked, I made them, and there was a lot of selection.

What do you need to use VL vpackager, I haven't even attempted it yet, as I wasn't sure of the guidelines and I don't want to foul up the repositories with newb packages.

Also is there a way if you have a huge amount of .tgz files to do a batch install? if there not off a repository but on my local network?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 08:33:44 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 08:42:12 am »

Back to the main subject...

uelsk8s

I changed the server as you suggested in the config tab on ripperX

It worked, I'm testing it out as a ripper as we speak.

What's your take on Grip? in comparison to ripperX

Ask Yourself

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 08:53:57 am »

I have never tried Grip.  I dont do much ripping I use ripperx when i do and until it fails i probably wont look into to much else.

off topic, did you know you can add the slacky.eu repo to slapt-get and get packages and solve dependancies?
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 09:04:00 am »

I tried to add it and it wouldn't resolve, I have all the vector linux ones and one slackware rep...I tried to add slacky and it wouldn't read it.  perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly...Thats just my way I love re-inventing the wheel, and the way of pain...

Ask Yourself

jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 09:07:07 am »

is it just me is RipperX slow?

I'm ripping a cd and its estimating it at 50 minutes?

I have a 3200+ cpu

I selected the highest setting mp3 with best quality

I'm going to do the same disc again with asunder...Asunder rips and encodes at the same time....am I missing the boat on ripperX?

EDIT:it finished in about 30...and now that i got ripperX connecting to the FreeDB Asunder isn't working on that front now...grr.  I think I'll just RipperX

So best linux CD ripper for all intensive purposes is RipperX long live Ripper!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 09:16:39 am by jduped » Logged

Ask Yourself

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:35:21 am »

Also is there a way if you have a huge amount of .tgz files to do a batch install? if there not off a repository but on my local network?

cd into the directory containing the packages and type installpkg *.tgz.  Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 09:52:38 am »

I tried to add slacky and it wouldn't read it.  perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly...

For some reason the slacky.eu mirror doesn't work anymore, but these still do: http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/
http://slacky.uglyplace.org/repository/slackware-12.0/
http://filer-1.filearena.net/pub/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
jduped
Vectorite

Don't Worry, Be Happy

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:24:56 am »

cd into the directory containing the packages and type installpkg *.tgz.  Smiley

Does this work if there broken into different folders and what not?

its set up like so

/VL warez/ with some in here
/VL warez/libs/
/VL warez/games/2d
/VL warez/games/3d

if I ran installpkg *.tgz. in /VL warez/ would it catch them all?

I tried to add slacky and it wouldn't read it.  perhaps I'm doing something incorrectly...

For some reason the slacky.eu mirror doesn't work anymore, but these still do: http://darkstar.ist.utl.pt/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/
http://slacky.uglyplace.org/repository/slackware-12.0/
http://filer-1.filearena.net/pub/slackware/addon/slacky/slackware-12.0/

Are these all the same repositories? or do they hold different software?  I found when I had too many that I got a bunch of redundant packages...

Ask Yourself

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: