VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Technology that went nowhere  (Read 989 times)

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Technology that went nowhere
« on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:59 pm »

First, my definition of nowhere:  "Did not go viral as it may have been expected.  Did not sale as much".

I thought it might be fun to discuss some things that at some point seemed like a good idea, but have not exactly taken off like others do.  Feel free to list whatever you think falls into this category.

* 3D TV/Cell phones.
   The idea of having to wear special glasses to watch tv was personally one of the off-putting thigs about this whole idea.

* 3D Cell Phone
   I remember at least one manufacturer (HTC) that put out a 3D phone with an awkward toggle switch for the 3D functionality.  Where did it go?

* Wearable technology.
   Where did google glasses (or watever it was called) go?
   I know (1) person who owns a samsung smartwatch... and 0 who own an apple watch... Compare that to the # of people who own cell phones ;)
   I think fitbit and the like are almost an exception to these, and a bit more popular due to the fact that smart watches try to do too much in such a small form factor

* Portable projectors for your phone.
   I remember at some point watching a TV ad for one of these things... Have yet to see anyone using one of these things.

* Virtual Reality.
  This has been attempted in different areas, most recently IIRC, under the term "Augmented Reality" on mobile devices.  Does not seem to be doing too well.

* 3D Printing.
  It may be a bit early for this one, but i'm going to go out on a limb here and say, not too many people interested on this stuff.

Discuss.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Technology that went nowhere
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 05:36:33 pm »

I hope and believe that we are only in the beginning stages of 3D printing. I don't expect every home to have a printer, but maybe something more like the photo printing booths found in grocery stores where you bring your image files and have them printed. Or Internet services printing your designs.

To add to the list: Home theatre surround sound. I see lots of huge screen TVs, but most people seem to be happy with the built-in speakers.

Extra, custom keys on keyboards. How many do you see using the "email" button on their keyboards?

Segways. Last time I saw one it was keeping a mall cop from getting any exercise.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 06:47:12 pm »

Nice.  I had totally forgotten about surround sound for sure.  Same with the extra buttons on the keyboards.  Segways look cool and fun, but i can see why that would get boring quick

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:43 pm »

betamax
laser disks
hd dvd
nintendo virtual boy
QR Codes
Zip Drives
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

https://wigums.wordpress.com/drawings-2/
https://vlcoredocumentation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
wigums@vectorlinux.net

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:05:43 am »

You must be reading the wrong industry rags.

3D printing is alive and well. While it's not ideal for personal setups, there are quite a few industries that are making a killing with 3D printing.

Virtual Reality? Are you kidding? This is set to explode in a huge way with the upcoming release of the Oculus Rift. Gaming companies are in a mad rush already to support the technology.

If "wearables" weren't such a hot item, then companies like TAG Heuer wouldn't be making outrageously expensive devices. Lot of folks use 'em.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 06:55:18 am »

I'm not reading anything... it's just what I'm seeing around me.  These things are not wrong like wild fires like others did.

And to add to the list.

* Netbooks
  These came and went fast.  Tablets and mobile devices pretty much cut the floor from underneath these.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 08:20:54 am »

I prefer to travel light, so I really liked the netbook concept. For years, I carried a Toshiba Libretto, about the size of a VHS cassette. Then I bought an Eee PC which served me quite well. It came with W7 Starter, which quickly got replaced with Linux.

Now that I don't travel much any more, it has not been used much. The windows sticker on the bottom was still readable, so I re-installed W7 Starter and used it to get the free upgrade to W10 Home. Now I can use it to familiarize myself with what will eventually become unavoidable.

I used to joke about tablets when they came out, saying that they should come with keyboards. Maybe even attach them with a hinge so that when not in use the device could fold in half and protect the screen. Isn't that a great idea? Someone should patent it.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 08:53:35 am »

[...] get the free upgrade to W10 Home. Now I can use it to familiarize myself with what will eventually become unavoidable.

I have not yet decided what to do on that end.  Have not yet used a W10 install and I do not plan on it, until it shows up @ my work (which still runs 7).  I'd probably switch to a TUI only OS before I go W10

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 05:36:57 pm »

Oddly detaching the keyboard from a netbook then adding a  touch keyboard with bluetooth option was to complicated so they started fresh and lost the concept.

Anyone remember the tv watch, I think it was seiko in the 80s..

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:59:14 pm by overthere »
Everything Is Relative

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:04 am »

* Netbooks
  These came and went fast.  Tablets and mobile devices pretty much cut the floor from underneath these.
That marketing term disappeared but the devices didn't.  In the US walk into any OfficeMax or Wal Mart and you will see 10" laptops.  In other words, netbooks.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

StrayBit

• Vectorite
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:46 am »

And I have one!
Dell GX280: 7.1-Gold 32 bit
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Gateway LT200 Win XP dead!

SmartDuck

• Smart Duck
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 10:15:19 am »

I also like NetBooks, my kids use two of these 10" Packard Bell devices.
Never get used to tablets, no keyboard! and for a quick internet search on the way I use my  4,7" smart phone.

3D printers are a big hit in the maker scene. But I don't see it as something you will see in every household.
Dell Lattitude E4300 - Debian Jessie 8.2 Cinnamon desktop - daily workstation - VirtualBox: VL7.1 Light
Dell Lattitude D505 - Debian Jessie 8.2 - MineCraft server
Raspberry Pi B+ - OpenElec 5.0.8 - Multimedia player
Raspberry Pi A+ - Raspbian Weezy - Green house server

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:18:25 pm »

For me the ideal is a small laptop/netbook/whatever the term is today with a detachable keyboard that can also function as a tablet.  It's the best of both worlds.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VL64 7.1

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1

nitehawk

• Vectorite
  • Just me.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:26 pm »

3D printers are a big hit in the maker scene. But I don't see it as something you will see in every household.
The very large MOSI ("Museum of Science and Industry") just over a ways in Tampa, Florida,...has an impressive exhibition of 3D printers, and some of it's printed devices.  Seems they really try to show and exhibit the capabilities it has to "print" artificial (and working models) of hands and limbs.  Even has a film of a one-legged duck getting a 3D printed leg (LOL!).

And my daughter just got me one of those 10inch screen, RCA Viking Pro Tablets, with the detachable keyboard.  Now I gotta figure out what to do with it.