VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:53:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Nvidia video driver  (Read 6835 times)
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:11:50 am »

The switch to vesa is not intended as a permanent fix, only to get X working so he can post to forum
You guys are absolutely right!  I wasn't thinking. Thanks  Smiley
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 07:37:00 am »

I will try to answer these questions as fast as I can.  I'm running back and forth between two computers Smiley uelsk8 I did get to run level and the 'vxconf' put me back into what appears to be a VASM screen saying "X will attempt to probe for your hardware and mouse and write an original configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf  would you like to do this now"  yes or no. 

I recognize this point in VASM because I have tried to go through it several times already.

reb

Ye Ole Montana Saddle Tramp
Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 08:02:43 am »

ok velsk8 I followed the vasm trail as I usually do by answering 'yes'  it then took me through several more screens asking more questions and I would have to do it all over again, which I don't mind, because I can't remember all of them. But it finally said it would test and it went back to a black screen and I had to do the  ctrl alt F1 thingy  it took me to a screen saying: in effect Xconf made or had an error and wanted to know if I wanted to edit the xconf file.  I can't check it because by the time I got back to it. the mesg disappeared. I am not back to the original Vector Log in screen logged in as root.

Nothing is right or wrong, good or bad, only thinking makes it so.  Think about it.
Running a Vector Linux VL3300 with 1 SATA 80GB HDD and 1GB DDR 400 ram, DVD+-RW , and VL 5.9 Delux
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 08:07:14 am »

if running through vxconf gets you a working X then we need to see the xorg.conf to make sure it has nvidia driver enabled.

if it gives you a black screen then we need to see the xorg.conf in order to see why its not working.
if you get the black screen then do as rbistolfi suggested and move the broken xorg.conf
Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
and copy the "safemode" xorg.conf-vesa to xorg.conf and startx
Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf-vesa /etc/X11/xorg.conf
startx

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

ok rbistolfi and velsek8  here we go, I'm gonna try the 'cp' thingy and I'll let yu know what happs.

reb

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 10:45:26 am »

ok here goes:
after running the 'cp' commands and typed "startx" I got a screen full of information about VL 5.8 SOHO.
Now if you want all of it, I will be  happy to send it, but I get the impression there is a lot more to it, and I find no way to scroll up at the lev 2 command line.

I think the last 4 lines will tell you a lot:

Backtrace:
  giving up.
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit:  connection refused (errorno 111): nable to connect to Xserver
/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit:  No such process (errno 3): Sever Error

reb

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 11:05:27 am »

Reb,
This is not good news.
if the default xorg.conf-vesa is not working the I fear the onboard video is causing us problems.
1 thing to try is run vxconf through until it says it has completed then run startx and when the screen goes black move the monitor cable to the unused vga port on the back of the computer
let us know if that gets you a working X and we can try and debug from there
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 03:07:16 pm »

Hi folks, the wife needed her computer Wink and I had to do some running around. But I'm back

I went to the X11 dir and did an 'ls' and found I have 6 'xorg.xxx' files:

xorg.conf
xorg.conf-vesa*
xorg.conf .ati
xorg.conf .backup*
xorg.conf .bak*
xorg.conf .kgammaorig
   *all have vesa in the device section.

I'm beginning to think we are fighting a deeper problem than we even suspect.  Somehow I think, without knowing, I did some serious damage. Maybe I should just go ahead and reinstall Vlinux.  I downloaded the latest ver they listed on the VL home page, to this, the wifes' ms-win box.  I don't have that much rework to do.  She has the latest Nero Suite, so burning won't be a problem.  Is there a difference between burning an iso to cd than anyother text to cd?

A couple questions first:
1.  Will the install cd let me format the entire HD.  I would like to set my own partitions.
2.  Upon installation do I have the choice of lilo or grub and if I do which do you feel is better.
3.  What other gotchas or hints should I be aware of.

I've done this hundreds of times in ms-win, but this is my first in linux and I know it has to be different.

people you're a great bunch to work with and I want to be a part of it. Smiley

reb

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 04:26:48 pm »

the most important part is burning the ISO as an image. do not burn the iso onto the cd as data.
here is a guide for nero http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

the install cd will let you partition the drive but you have to do it with cfdisk.
here is what it looks like http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/img_install/inst6.png
the install guide is here http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/docs/vl58/manuals/vl5_installation_guide_en.html

I think lilo is better.

Read through the install guide and if you think you have more questions let us know

Uelsk8s
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 04:47:34 pm »

I agree about Lilo being better.  Grub is newer and "eventually" when grub2 is out should be better.  But I like Lilo.  If I remember a PM from reb correctly, he currently has grub without an option to go into tui.  Undecided
reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 08:08:29 am »

urldk8s,

Well since the wife has an updated 'Nero' suite on this box, I did as you said and burned 5.8 SOHO final as an image and it worked.  So I'm on my way again  Smiley 

thanks much

reb

reb
Vectorite

The BOSS

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 04:10:19 pm »

Hi ALL,

Well this was one long way around to install a Nvidia eGeForce 8600 GT video card.  Since I messed something up trying to install the driver for this video card, and couldn't get back into my linux box,  I downloaded VL 5.8 SOHO final to the wifes' ms-windows box, burned it to a cd and reinstalled Vector linux .  Since the video card was already in the machine, it is now working great. Cheesy  Also due to the fact that the entire system was new and very little installed on it, I lost very little data. Grin 

Now maybe someone can answer this for me:  Since I formatted the HD so I could change the partitions, i assumed that all info was erased from it, so why is the video card working without the Nvidia 8600 driver.   Huh 

To all of you that did your best to help me get the driver working, I have to thank you very very much.  Cheers to all

reb

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 07:20:53 pm »

hi reb, I am glad you are at your vl box again. There is two drivers for nvidia cards, the "nv" driver is open source and is shipped with xorg. It works great but has no 3d accel. The "nvidia" driver is closed, made by nvidia itself, and should give you the best performance for your card under linux.

EDIT: we can assist you if you want to go for the nvidia proprietary drivers again.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 07:22:36 pm by rbistolfi » Logged

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: