VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 10:10:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Voting closed: December 29, 2007, 02:01:37 pm)
Yes - 18 (48.6%)
No - 19 (51.4%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Read 10700 times)
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: December 14, 2007, 02:01:37 pm »

VL has become very international as far as users and developers go, so I have this idea to add a subforum for other-languages threads, with sub-subforums for any language for which we have more than 1 user. The sub-subforums would be created by asking for them in a post directly on the containing subforum. What do you all think?

EDIT: Please note that I am running this poll as a VL developer and user, not as a Forum admin.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:07:24 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 02:12:04 pm »

Sounds messy, but probably worth a shot Grin
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 02:16:41 pm »

Heh, I'd forgotten the real name, they are called "child boards" and I set one up as a test in "The Dumpster" a long time ago.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:17:30 pm »

Sounds like a good idea.  If you get any time-traveling users who only speak Latin or ancient Greek, I can help.  Oh, and Italian.  My Italian is pretty good still.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:25:25 pm »

Don't forget to vote... Wink

easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 02:26:19 pm »

Sounds like a good idea, only that it might be hard to give the same kind of help when those who know the answer don't understand the language in which the question is written...

exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 02:27:05 pm »

Sounds like it would be useful enough. I wouldn't be able to help at all, but I'm sure many would appreciate it.

I belong to a php related board that is English and German.  Often through searching the boards you come acrossed what "might" be the solution you are looking for, but in another language.  Also, often people will cross link to threads in a different language trying to be helpful. It's actually very frustrating.

But it might make VL more accessible to others.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 02:28:52 pm »

Being a small community, I don't think It'd be a good idea, because knowledge will be spreaded among 3-5 languages, and that makes more difficult to reuse knowledge already posted.

For example, as I understand english more or less, I'll keep posting in english, as  more feedback is likely to come...

People only speaking one (non-english) language can post in their language, and someone is likely to translate/answer. It's been happening for some time already.

Just my 2c.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:32:51 pm »

...it might be hard to give the same kind of help when those who know the answer don't understand the language in which the question is written...
That's a given (or selbstverständlich, a very useful word) and if needed, a disclaimer post can be put up. But if only one of them understands English, they can act as a link to the info. I can only see our international audience growing...

EDIT: I also didn't mean it exclusively for info, it would be a place for people to "lounge about" in their own language without translations needed. I believe it would make them feel more at home.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:35:23 pm by Joe1962 » Logged

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 02:39:12 pm »

I vote yes... I think it'd be good. Some newcomers are more confortable if they can post in they native language. Makes sense.. Some of us who speak more than one language could better assist users that dont speak english.

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 02:45:38 pm »

Yes, but I have to say, if you can post in English you could get better answers, just because you will have more readers. I would include this warning in the sub-forum.
I think could be good for those who can't speak English and don't give the shot in their own language for some reason. Is true the community is very international.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Witek Mozga
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:28:49 pm »

VL has become very international as far as users and developers go, so I have this idea to add a subforum for other-languages threads

I`m other-language speaker myself but I think that`s a bad idea. Vector forum is rather small one and there is no need to still divide (community and knowledge). Besides, English is 'lingua franca' of modern world and being forced to use it is useful for non-native speakers like me.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 06:14:08 pm »

I'm on the Scribus e-mail list, which is very international. From time to time, the question of having e-mail lists for languages other than English comes up. The dominant opinion is that this is a bad idea for a few major reasons:

*  It would make it less likely that people would get the information they need because fewer people would see questions and comments posted to the list.

*  This would mean someone who could answer a question may not see it because he or she concentrates on the list in their language.

*  It would mean more time spent by those who are competent in more than one language if they chose to subscribe to more than one Scribus list.

*  It fragments the user community by making it a bit too easy to hang with those, and only those, who share a language.

If course, people who don't understand English or have difficulty reading or writing English are at a large disadvantage and may even feel embarrassed. So on the Scribus list, people who have difficulty with English are encouraged to post in their native language or another language with which they are comfortable. There is a very big chance that someone on the list can reply to the questions or comments. Often someone will translate the non-English message so the rest of us can have a crack at it. This seems to work pretty well, as these non-English messages do get answered in the language of the poster.

I think this could work well on these Vector forums, too. If it could be prominently made clear that posts need not be in English and that it's totally acceptable to post in languages other than English and if forum members who speak other languages would step up to the plate to translate, people who have difficulty with English wouldn't have to worry about struggling to express themselves in English.

We have a lot of people here who understand French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Russian, and other languages. Translating to and from other languages would be a valuable contribution to the growth of VectorLinux. And certainly, the Lounge should be open to conversations in languages other than English.

So often people whose English is not great apologize for their "bad English." I always feel like saying "hey, you do a lot better writing English than I do at writing French or German, which I did study back in the middle of the last century." If anyone should apologize, it's those of us who are monolingual. In fact, one of my retirement projects is to brush up on French, which I could read fluently but not speak well almost 50 years ago, just so I could read and maybe reply to some of the posts I come across in forums and e-mail lists. And then do the same with German. And if I live long enough Smiley , tackle Spanish and Italian.

Oh--back to Scribus. Much of the Wiki is available in languages other than English and volunteer translators for more languages are warmly welcomed.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 06:25:44 pm »

I really like the idea of making the interaction more comfortable anyone that English is not their first language but I must agree with what several have pointed out...useful information get diluted or possibly never posted. I'm not sure what the best answer is but what happens now seems to work fairly well. (I know that's easy for me to say as English is my first language. My Xhosa, Africaans, French, Taki-Taki, Dutch (Suriname flavor), and Spanish are long gone.) I wouldn't want anyone left out of this great forum and distro...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 06:28:26 pm by mikecindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 07:00:58 pm »

I do have to say that the folks that don't have English as their first language, do a great job on this board.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: