VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 05:08:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Voting closed: December 29, 2007, 02:01:37 pm)
Yes - 18 (48.6%)
No - 19 (51.4%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Read 9432 times)
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 07:28:58 pm »

...it might be hard to give the same kind of help when those who know the answer don't understand the language in which the question is written...
That's a given (or selbstverständlich, a very useful word)

'Självklar' is much shorter. Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
t'web

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 10:09:37 pm »

Of course I've voted 'YES'...Thumbs up !.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 10:23:44 pm by t'web » Logged
Gerinald
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

Bonjour,
J'ai aussi voté, bien sur pour le français.

Ouvrir un forum en mode international ne peut que vous apporter que du soutien supplémentaire, et une meilleur connaissance de Vector, à un plus large public.

Merci

@micalement
@+ Gerinald
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 01:02:17 am »

Trevligt att ses igen!

C'est bien de te revoir!

...good to see you again...  Smiley

saulgoode
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 01:09:26 am »

As for myself, I voted "no" but it is a very mild "no". I would hope that everyone feels welcome in the forum and personally do not mind discussions taking place that are not in English. It is appreciated when one of the participants provides a translation of the discussion, but understood that this is an additional burden.

My personal limitations with non-English languages are that I am more familiar with listening to them than reading them (especially Dutch) and that I can parse another's writing better than I can compose it myself. I am generally able to follow a non-English discussion but not comfortable with joining in. (I also have no comprehension of the Nordic languages.)

In retrospect, I should not have voted "no". The decision is better made by forum administrators and I trust their judgment. (EDIT: I see that I am able to remove my vote; this I have done.)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:12:59 am by saulgoode » Logged

A complex system that works is invariably found to have evolved from a simple system that works.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 01:36:23 am »

My personal limitations with non-English languages are that I am more familiar with listening to them than reading them (especially Dutch) and that I can parse another's writing better than I can compose it myself. I am generally able to follow a non-English discussion but not comfortable with joining in. (I also have no comprehension of the Nordic languages.)

Hmm, jag har funnit att det är hur lätt som helst att förstå dessa språk...

Grin

Xeon
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 02:24:24 am »

Although I am one of the guys that had the idea to make a dutch section, I must say suse-refugee's argument in that topic has convinced me that a non-english section is not what we want. I don't really think this will really work out. As said before, why split the community again? I think that if some people have questions and really can't write them in English, they will write them in their own language anyhow, hoping that someone can understand them and make clear to the rest of the community what they want. So far it has worked, and we were able to help people in a lot of languages.

My guess is that our dutch section would have been some sort of extended dutch lounge anyway.
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 03:53:03 am »

I think the community is to small for this nobel idea. We can't even grant the same knowledge and support to non-english speakers, because not every developper understands Dutch, French, ...
Just my 50 Cent Smiley

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 04:07:20 am »

Just my 50 Cent Smiley

50 Cent, yo! Represeeeeeeent!!!

The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2007, 04:43:11 am »

My guess is that our dutch section would have been some sort of extended dutch lounge anyway.
With topics like clogs, windmills, tulips, pot and complaining about the weather!

Seriously though, I like this English forum thing, it helps me keep my English level up. Most people who speak Dutch will also know English, so no need for a Dutch subforum. Can't speak for other languages though.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2007, 04:48:17 am »

With topics like clogs, windmills, tulips, pot and complaining about the weather!

The Swedish sub-forum would consist of exactly one wannabe Swede. How sad.

Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2007, 07:01:42 am »

I'm not to afraid of splitting the community in the sense that people discuss in the above. As I've said in the thread about a Dutch subforum, I'll give a translation here Wink for technical questions or any news I'd like to share, I would put it in English to get a broader audience.

But also, the community may be to small to really justify a different language subforum. I'm afraid it would bleed to death by lack of posting. On the other hand, my first reaction was that it could be fun. It's easier to quickly express something in Dutch, although I do tend to sound like a manager Cheesy

Anyway, I'm not against it. Having Dutch/French/German subfora may even draw in a different crowd... who knows?

Quote from: The Headacher
Bakkie doen? Gezellie!  Grin
Gerinald
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2007, 07:51:56 am »

Trevligt att ses igen!

C'est bien de te revoir!

...good to see you again...  Smiley

Merci,
Mais je me demande si le sub-forum verra un jour une place ici.

En vous traduisant, j'ai vraiment l'impression de lire les mêmes idioties que chez nos politiciens du Nord.
Je dit bien politiciens, et non populations, j'insiste.

De par ailleurs, je me demande parfois si on vit sur la même planète.

Cela m'attriste beaucoup de voir ce genre de mentalité :  ""Moi je défend ma langue, et je veut que l'on parle MA langue"".

Pour petit rappel, nous sommes tous des êtres humains, fait de chair et de sang, et seul nos langues nous séparent.

Si déjà le fait de rester fermer comme une huître, vous semblent le meilleur argument, alors, que penser du reste.

Bien @micalement
@+ Gerinald
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 08:49:37 am »

A very definitive NO from me.
When dealing with being on the web, I'd like to quote the immortal words of Bruce Dickinson(Iron Maiden):

"SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE!"

...for all the GOOD reasons, posted before.

If there ever would've been even a *remotely* half-decent reason to implement them, I'd have done so when I first made the layout of this board.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 08:54:00 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2007, 04:01:10 pm »

With somewhat less assertive words than SuSE-Refugee, I join the no-crowd.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: