VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 11:47:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Voting closed: December 29, 2007, 02:01:37 pm)
Yes - 18 (48.6%)
No - 19 (51.4%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we have an other-languages sub-forum?  (Read 10015 times)
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2007, 05:01:15 pm »

This is fun, is the closest poll ever. A point for the sub-forum defenders, nobody is traslating Gerinald's posts  Roll Eyes

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 05:22:09 pm »

ya know, my knee-jerk reaction was to vote "no" but then I thought, if it somehow helps international, non-english speaking members then I'd say it's worth it.  Just like Cait wants 64bits and better internationalization; just like metvas wants VL-provided paid product support; maybe this is worth a shot as well.  If we open our arms to more users and it "pans out" then perhaps we will have a bigger userbase on which to develope VL; more users to beta test releases; more users to package; more users with more experience.  The best part is that I don't have to admin or moderate the board or forums, and I don't have to answer questions I don't understand  Grin.  I certainly think it's worth a venture to see if it's something that's been missing.  The easy test would be to create the forums and see how much they get used.  I'm guessing that they'll be used VERY little, but it's only a guess and I've guessed wrong many times before.  I'll be fine either way though.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 05:57:43 pm »

well, vl is a friendly community and I think everybody feels comfortable in it. This is a minor question for me. Is not really important. Could be enough if everybody knows he/she can post in his/her own language if necessary. And if the sub-forum becomes reality, we have to make clear is much better if the user post in English.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 07:00:36 pm »

To add my $0.02 as one of the forum admins, I don't at all mind posts in non-English languages, just so long as somebody who speaks that non-English language can provide some sort of translation of the message. It would be a shame for people not to get help using a great distro just because they don't know English well enough to post a question.

FWIW,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2007, 07:48:01 pm »

To add my $0.02 as one of the forum admins, I don't at all mind posts in non-English languages, just so long as somebody who speaks that non-English language can provide some sort of translation of the message.
My reasoning for this poll is that this is not happening even remotely close to 100% lately.

It would be a shame for people not to get help using a great distro just because they don't know English well enough to post a question.
Indeed, so I figured they'd ask more easily if they didn't have to abide by the translation rule. Let's face it, more than one non-English user has asked about the existence (or not) of VL forums in their native language lately. I know for a fact that a lot of VL users (or prospective users) in my own country have asked for this in the national LUG mailing list. My current work load does not allow me to answer their problems like I used to.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2007, 09:25:31 pm »

This is fun, is the closest poll ever. A point for the sub-forum defenders, nobody is traslating Gerinald's posts  Roll Eyes

I'd do it if I knew French. Smiley

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Gerinald
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2007, 11:06:04 pm »

Bonjour,

J'avoue ne pas comprendre vos réticences, beaucoup de forum anglophones ont ouvert leurs portes à des sub-forum internationales.

Je cite Sabayon, PcLinuxOs, et encore bien d'autres.

Vous refermez sur vous mêmes ne vous apportera rien, vous ouvrir au monde peut vous apporter beaucoup.

Mais ce n'est pas grave, je n'utiliserez plus Vector à l'avenir, puisque l'aide et quasi refusé parce que on ne parle pas anglais.

C'est bien dommage, et pense à tout ceux qui voudront dans l'avenir utiliser cette distro et qui vont lire les pensées de chacun sur ce post.

Pour moi, cela me fait penser à certain souci communautaires que je connait dans mon pays, et cela me fait peur.

BAV
Gerinald
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2007, 12:29:05 am »

Bonjour,

J'avoue ne pas comprendre vos réticences, beaucoup de forum anglophones ont ouvert leurs portes à des sub-forum internationales.

I acknowledge not to include/understand your reserves, much forum english-speaking opened their doors with sub-forum international.

Je cite Sabayon, PcLinuxOs, et encore bien d'autres.

I quote Sabayon, PcLinuxOs, and still well of others.

Vous refermez sur vous mêmes ne vous apportera rien, vous ouvrir au monde peut vous apporter beaucoup.

Mais ce n'est pas grave, je n'utiliserez plus Vector à l'avenir, puisque l'aide et quasi refusé parce que on ne parle pas anglais.

You close again on you same will not bring anything to you, to open in the world can bring to you much.

C'est bien dommage, et pense à tout ceux qui voudront dans l'avenir utiliser cette distro et qui vont lire les pensées de chacun sur ce post.

It is a pity well, and thinks of all those which will want in the future to use this distro and which will read the thoughts of each one on this post.

Pour moi, cela me fait penser à certain souci communautaires que je connait dans mon pays, et cela me fait peur.

For me, that makes me think of certain concern Community which I connait in my country, and that frightens me.

BAV
Gerinald
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2007, 12:46:24 am »

I hope you're not talking about about Vlaams Belang. Cry

Gerinald
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2007, 12:54:08 am »

I hope you're not talking about about Vlaams Belang. Cry

Bonjour,
La nature de certain post m'y font un petit peu penser, oui

Linux et Libre, .... Libre de pensée, Libre d'ouverture d'esprit, Libre de tout, et ici, je voit une fermeture de cette Liberté.

Franchement, ne croyez -vous pas qu'ils y a assez de connerie dans le monde pour encore entacher la communauté avec ça ?

Mais ne t'inquiète pas hanumizzle, dans ma partie francophone, nous sommes beaucoup à bien penser à cette Liberté Wink

Je tiens quand même à remercier uelsk8s pour avoir fait la traduction Wink

BAV
@micalement
@+ Gerinald
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2007, 01:04:41 am »

Mais ne t'inquiète pas hanumizzle, dans ma partie francophone, nous sommes beaucoup à bien penser à cette Liberté Wink

Thanks.  Smiley I'm not very good with French at all. The only foreign language I know well is Swedish. I would translate posts that you wrote, but I can't.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2007, 01:10:32 am »

Gerinald,
You are welcome for my feeble attempt at translation. I understand your point now even less than when it was in french im afraid.
Also the more you post in french the more I hope we never have a french subforum other-languages sub-forums  Sad

Uelsk8s
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2007, 01:23:28 am »

I acknowledge not to include/understand your reserves, much forum english-speaking opened their doors with sub-forum international.

I quote Sabayon, PcLinuxOs, and still well of others.

You close again on you same will not bring anything to you, to open in the world can bring to you much.

It is a pity well, and thinks of all those which will want in the future to use this distro and which will read the thoughts of each one on this post.

For me, that makes me think of certain concern Community which I connait in my country, and that frightens me.
All your base are belong to us!! Seriously, this shows just how crappy translations from e.g. babelfish usually are. It gets even worse if you translate technical text. Also, I seem to be missing the part where he says he won't be using VL any more, but my French is too poor to translate properly.

Bottom line? If we're going to have people translate posts from other languages than English they'd better know the language they're translating. If not it's going to be hard to understand the problem, and even harder to fix it.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
t'web

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2007, 01:47:20 am »

@Gerinald
Moi je sais me debrouiller en Francais  (comprendre et parler), mais ecriver ca c'est une autre chose...je fait beaucoup de fautes.C'est le meme chose en Anglais...je comprendre tout,je parle aussi, mais ecrivez,ca c'est pas facile pour moi.

I can talk and understand almost everything in English, but writing that is quit an other more difficult matter for me.And that is the same for my French.I work everyday together with French colleague...i can talk and understand French ass well, but writing faultless...that's an other question.Maybe you must take this opportunity to improved your English...such as I do.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:55:50 am by t'web » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2007, 05:58:19 am »

Talk about Babel!

In the end it comes down to manpower and resources. I suspect that separate sub-forums for each language won't make the cut, but that the occasional sprinkling of French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Russian, Portuguese, German, Flemish, Gaelic, Italian, Swahili, Esperanto, Chinese, Papiamento, Japanese, Korean, Afrikaans and others will continue to spice up the regular forum.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: